Thread: Season Expectations?

Season Expectations?

Boston and Golden State looked fantastic on opening night. Boston adds Malcolm Brogdon but lost their other addition (Danilo Gallinari) to an ACL for the season. Golden State with Kuminga and Wiseman taking on larger roles with Draymond Green possibly in decline. There was also James Harden in mid-season form:

https://twitter.com/ScottGrodsky/sta...75472948707328

I still believe the Bucks would have advanced to the NBA Finals had Middleton been available in the ECSF. If they have each one of the Big 3 (Giannis, Middleton, Holiday) for the entire playoffs along with a healthy Brook Lopez, Bobby Portis, Pat Connaughton, Grayson Allen and Joe Ingles......they certainly can win it all. I really like the reports of an adjusted philosophy of limiting 3-point attempts. Now, it will be interesting to see how it is executed on the court.

I also like how the Bucks (since 20-21) use the regular season to try playing in different ways so that they are versatile come playoff time. Being able to win in different ways. Limiting 3-point attempts will surely be a work-in-process. Also, injuries to start the season (Middleton and Connaughton out a few weeks).

My hope as to how it plays out would be defeating Boston in the ECSF or ECF to then go on and meet Golden State in the NBA Finals. Hopefully, by then, the Bucks will be well versed in defending the 3 and come out ahead to win the franchise's 3rd NBA championship. Miami and Philly are clearly other contenders in the East. I think Toronto will prove to be another underrated (Pascal Siakam, Scottie Barnes, OG Anunoby and a lot of length) contender in the East along with an upcoming team in Cleveland (Donovan Mitchell added).
    Last edited by mufan2003; 10-19-2022 at 12:00 PM.

So much depends on health, obviously. Getting Ingles back will almost certainly help the halfcourt offense come playoff time. Plus with the race to the bottom this year, I wonder how many decent pieces will be available that may not be in a normal year.

I think it'll be a real grind at times the first month or so, getting PC and Khris back in the mix, and Wes getting back up to speed. And I'm sure people will freak out. But they'll be a top 3 seed in the East, and I wouldn't pick against them to win a title this year.

Legler agrees with me Just give me a healthy squad throughout the playoffs and I like our chances as much as any other team.

https://youtu.be/Sz4Gv4zbQ84
    Last edited by mufan2003; 10-20-2022 at 05:22 PM.

Yep, don't worry about seed, just get to the playoffs healthy and on a good roll and we have a very good shot against anyone.

https://www.nba.com/news/power-rankings-2022-23-week-3

It has only been 5 games, but the Bucks are showing improvement in limiting opponent's 3-point attempts while owning the league's #1 ranking in Defensive Efficiency. Brook looks great on both ends, Giannis looks like the MVP, Bobby is instant offense and Jrue just showed what he is capable of with 34 points, 12 assists and All-NBA caliber defense.

Middle-of-the-pack offensively but to be expected with no Middleton, Connaughton or Ingles. That should only improve as guys return.

I am more optimistic now after these first six games. Get those three back and in the mix and we should sure be the odds on favorite from the East.

Not impressed with that dysfunctional team in Brooklyn. As long as Harden is at Philly thinking he is the man and not Embiid, we are in good shape there.
    Celtics and Cleveland are teams to watch, and I think if healthy we don't even go 7 games in a series with those teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Goose85 View Post
    I am more optimistic now after these first six games. Get those three back and in the mix and we should sure be the odds on favorite from the East.

Not impressed with that dysfunctional team in Brooklyn. As long as Harden is at Philly thinking he is the man and not Embiid, we are in good shape there.
    Celtics and Cleveland are teams to watch, and I think if healthy we don't even go 7 games in a series with those teams.
    Yes, Philly and Brooklyn just seem like frauds....there is a reason Durant was pushing for a trade in the offseason. Miami is also struggling, although I think they will get it corrected and be right there. It will be interesting to see where Jae Crowder lands in a trade (Miami?).

I would add Toronto and Atlanta to other teams to watch alongside Boston and Cleveland. Boston still probably the frontrunner and should be as defending EC champion.

Detroit has a nice young nucleus of talent highlighted by Cade Cunningham and Jaden Ivey, a really nice backcourt for the future. Saddiq Bey, Jalen Duren and adding Bogdanovic, they are better.
    Last edited by mufan2003; 11-01-2022 at 01:21 PM.

I think Brooklyn needs to blow that whole thing up and start over. Get some picks for Durant, who wants to be anywhere but Brooklyn right now.
    Kyrie is not the kind of player you have on winning teams.

I read an article recently that quoted NBA scouts who said it didn't matter what Nash called for the team to run, Kyrie did what he wanted while the other four were trying to run the same offense. He constantly disregarded team plays or sets to just do his own thing. I'm sure Nash is elated to be done with that team.