Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Bucks v Celtics

Quote Originally Posted by MUFAN2003 View Post
    [/B][/B]
    Conventional wisdom:

Game 5: Boston wins (wrong)
    Game 6: Milwaukee wins (wrong)
    Game 7: Boston wins (?)

Cmon Khris Middleton, it is a MCL sprain, even if you are off the ball as a spot-up shooter, defender flys at you.....pump fake and shoot, or take 2 dribbles in for a lethal mid-range shot. 6'8", Khris never relied on explosion off the court. He always has been a guy who seemed to glide around the court, crafty.......with good height, long arms and an effortless stroke from all 3 levels. (One caveat, moving laterally defensively, I guess I just hope and pray)

My concern is rust, but it is not like he has been doing nothing for 3+ weeks.

The offense, reverting back to very little ball movement, player movement. Guys get confidence touching the ball, keep it moving, early shots in a 24-second clock from Giannis and Jrue are detrimental unless it is a Giannis dunk or Jrue open 3. Giannis, stop reverting back to 2019 when you are always going downhill 100mph from the top of the key......playing with fire. Stats are great, but many opportunities to pass-out on your drives. 40+, 10+......wow, did you win??? Did you make your teammates better?

Frustrating loss, conventional wisdom says Boston advances now.
    Never once has Middleton given me the impression that he is a guy who would tough it out and battle through injuries. I think a bunch of guys on this team would but not Khris.

Quote Originally Posted by MUAlphaBangura View Post
    Never once has Middleton given me the impression that he is a guy who would tough it out and battle through injuries. I think a bunch of guys on this team would but not Khris.
    Dude tore his hamstring off the bone and worked his way back two months ahead of schedule. He's doing all he can to be ready, but they don't want a compromised ligament potentially causing a bigger problem.

We really missed Middleton, and with him healthy I think we win it all.

Very disappointing, but I think if healthy we have a great shot to win it next season. The window is still very much open.

Final Thoughts

I agree Goose, disappointed but Giannis is just entering his prime at 27 (already having 1 championship).

Some final thoughts:

(1) Sorry Boston, a bit of an asterisk on your series win. Milwaukee was up 3-2 in this series without Khris Middleton playing 1 second in it. A 6'8" all-Star who can score on all 3 levels and in a lot of ways was the closer for this team with that ability. The Middleton/Giannis pick-n-roll was lethal in 4th quarters. Not only on the offensive end, but the Bucks are bigger and longer on the defensive end when Middleton plays. Playing role reversal, imagine Boston with no Jaylen Brown the entire series while Milwaukee has Middleton the entire series. The series would be over in 5, no longer than 6.

(2) As mentioned, Giannis turned 27 this past December. At least 8 years before you even begin to worry about any drop-off in Giannis' game, turning 35 in his 8th season from now. A team I hope the Bucks can emulate is the San Antonio Spurs under Tim Duncan. Those Spurs teams NEVER WON BACK-TO-BACK CHAMPIONSHIPS. However, they won 5 titles (1999, 2003, 2005, 2007, 2014) with Tim Duncan as the cornerstone. Giannis is our cornerstone.

(3) A much needed break. It sucks to lose, but these guys finally get a full off-season to rest and work on their craft. The Bucks won the title last year at the end of July, then were back at training camp the last week in September. Jrue and Khris played in the Olympics in August. Yes, they managed them well throughout this past season, but the last 2 years, the schedule was crazy with Covid and winning it all.

(4) Continue to be bothered by the Bucks' defensive philosophy that continuously gives up open 3's (even corner 3's). Statistically, Boston was middle-of-the-pack shooting the 3 as a team. Milwaukee made them look much better by practically making it a shootaround for them with no defensive resistance. Something has to change, part of it may include tweeking personnel.

(5) Awesome stat......Giannis the first player ever in a series to accumulate 200 pts, 100 rebs and 50 assists. He is a gem, if the Bucks manage this roster right, hopefully more championships in the future.

*Enjoyed seeing Phoenix get blown out on their home court, and they weren't missing anybody. Feel bad for Jae but not Chris Paul or Devin Booker. Definitely rooting for the Celtics to be eliminated......their players, fans and media are obnoxious and a bunch of whiners (every call). I like the Mavs team and will be pulling for Miami.

Bright days ahead for the Bucks, just getting started. Some time off will be good. Good culture from the top down, continue to assemble the right pieces around Giannis and hopefully more championships in the future.

(3) A much needed break. It sucks to lose, but these guys finally get a full off-season to rest and work on their craft. The Bucks won the title last year at the end of July, then were back at training camp the last week in September. Jrue and Khris played in the Olympics in August. Yes, they managed them well throughout this past season, but the last 2 years, the schedule was crazy with Covid and winning it all.

(4) Continue to be bothered by the Bucks' defensive philosophy that continuously gives up open 3's (even corner 3's). Statistically, Boston was middle-of-the-pack shooting the 3 as a team. Milwaukee made them look much better by practically making it a shootaround for them with no defensive resistance. Something has to change, part of it may include tweeking personnel.
    Wanted to focus on these two points... they looked like a team that played a lot of basketball in the last 18 months. I think it caught up to the Bucks and Suns.

I think the underpinnings of the philosophy are sound, but man, the rigidity to it is hard to take sometimes. I think we'll see some movement in personnel. I don't know if Brook or Portis are here next year.

It's tempting to chalk this up to Midds being out and wanting to run it back, but there were cracks showing all season. They have to get bigger and more athletic at the 2/3. Find some shooting in the draft if you keep the pick. And I would highly encourage Bud to add an offensive coordinator type to his staff. The halfcourt offense was good enough last year, but killed them the other three seasons. Have to find a way to make it translate from regular season to postseason.

Quote Originally Posted by MUfan12 View Post
    Wanted to focus on these two points... they looked like a team that played a lot of basketball in the last 18 months. I think it caught up to the Bucks and Suns.

I think the underpinnings of the philosophy are sound, but man, the rigidity to it is hard to take sometimes. I think we'll see some movement in personnel. I don't know if Brook or Portis are here next year.

It's tempting to chalk this up to Midds being out and wanting to run it back, but there were cracks showing all season. They have to get bigger and more athletic at the 2/3. Find some shooting in the draft if you keep the pick. And I would highly encourage Bud to add an offensive coordinator type to his staff. The halfcourt offense was good enough last year, but killed them the other three seasons. Have to find a way to make it translate from regular season to postseason.
    The Bucks have needed another wing with size that can defend and shoot. I am sure they tried at the trade deadline, but needed insurance on Brook Lopez (Ibaka) and gave up their best asset (DiVincenzo) to get him. Bembry's defense may have helped a bit with his length. At least would have given you another option when you needed stops (better than George Hill).

I adamantly believe the Bucks win this series with Middleton. Not only his scoring, but people underestimate his playmaking and ability to have the ball in his hands late 3rd and 4th.......alleviating Giannis and Jrue from doing all of the ball-handling. Boston is a good team, but Bucks win this series with Middleton healthy from Game 1.

Regardless, the disappointing loss in the ECSF will provide motivation for the players/franchise this offseason and going into next season.
    Last edited by mufan2003; 05-16-2022 at 11:48 AM.

The Bucks have needed another wing with size that can defend and shoot. I am sure they tried at the trade deadline, but needed insurance on Brook Lopez (Ibaka) and gave up their best asset (DiVincenzo) to get him. Bembry's defense may have helped a bit with his length. At least would have given you another option when you needed stops (better than George Hill).

I adamantly believe the Bucks win this series with Middleton. Not only his scoring, but people underestimate his playmaking and ability to have the ball in his hands late 3rd and 4th.......alleviating Giannis and Jrue from doing all of the ball-handling. Boston is a good team, but Bucks win this series with Middleton healthy from Game 1.

Regardless, the disappointing loss in the ECSF will provide motivation for the players/franchise this offseason and going into next season.
    With respect to a wing with size that can shoot, one player in the draft that intrigues me is Baldwin from Milwaukee. Pending workouts, he looks like he very well could be there for the Bucks.
    Had he not been injured and played at UWM, he was supposed to be a lottery pick. That is size on the wing, and with some defense, could be a real good addition to the Bucks.

We certainly win that series with Middleton.

Not sure if they pay Portis or not. Somebody will offer him money.

Quote Originally Posted by Goose85 View Post
    With respect to a wing with size that can shoot, one player in the draft that intrigues me is Baldwin from Milwaukee. Pending workouts, he looks like he very well could be there for the Bucks.
    Had he not been injured and played at UWM, he was supposed to be a lottery pick. That is size on the wing, and with some defense, could be a real good addition to the Bucks.
    I get the thought process, but Nwora is a big wing scorer and couldn't get off the bench because of his defense, even when the Bucks couldn't throw it in the ocean. From what I saw of Baldwin he was even less engaged on that end of the floor.

The upside is there, but once Bud buries ya on the bench...

Thankful the Bucks won it all last season.....otherwise every national media angle would be "Does Giannis need to leave Milwaukee to win a championship"? Got that out of the way right after signing his new contract. There isn't a cloud of panic hanging over the franchise after Giannis re-signed and won it all.

An interesting balancing act for the Bucks. Giannis has the player option for the 25-26 season. Have to imagine you look at it as a 3-year window, only looking to acquire or re-sign NBA established players in win-now mode for more championships? Jrue Holiday will be 32 next month and Khris Middleton turns 31 in August. Those 2 along with Giannis are the core for the next 3 years that Giannis is locked in under contract. All three are good 2-way players.

The questions lie with everyone else. Other than the "Big 3" and 2 more years of Grayson Allen, not many long-term contracts. Lopez is under contract for 1 more season as is George Hill (expiring contracts attractive in potential trades). Portis and Connaughton have player options for 22-23 (low market value). Bucks have the #24 pick in the first round. It is going to be an interesting offseason.
    Last edited by mufan2003; 05-16-2022 at 06:53 PM.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345