Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bucks v Celtics

Bucks v Celtics

Well this sure won't help. Looks like Middleton isn't expected to play in the Celtic series.

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-buck...124537007.html

Gonna be tough on two levels. Obviously taking a big wing defender out against Brown and Tatum is a problem. But offensively, his ability to find a switch and go get a bucket himself is so important against good defensive teams like Boston. The Bucks have the shooting to overcome it, but those guys have to be assisted most of the time.

I'd lean Boston in 6 or 7 at this point.

So much for the thought it was a Grade 1 sprain. Portis in the starting lineup actually makes the Bucks bigger......Lopez (7'0"), Giannis (6'11") and Portis (6'10") might be the biggest frontline in the NBA. Then good size in the backcourt with Holiday (6'4") and Matthews (6'5"). Boston will not have a size advantage. There is no spinning the loss of Middleton, but I believe the Bucks can win this series.

Connaughton got back on track last night going 6-9 beyond the arc. Allen has thrived in Middleton's absence. Play out of the post with Giannis and Portis along with Jrue/Giannis in the pick-n-roll.

Brooklyn was a diminutive, undersized team whose reputation was inflated by the presence of the great Kevin Durant. Looking forward to this one.

The schedule is out for Milwaukee/Boston with tip times TBD:

https://twitter.com/johnhollinger/st...95830767611907

Since 18-19, Bud's first year as coach and Brook Lopez's first year in Milwaukee, the Bucks always finished top 5 in team defense. Not having Brook for the regular season affected the team's defensive numbers.

In the playoffs, granted small sample size, the Bucks are giving up the fewest PPG. Lopez, Giannis (DPOY on resume) and Holiday all have made appearances on the league's All-Defensive teams. Wes Matthews is a very good defender and Bobby, with his energy and size, is no slouch either.

https://twitter.com/TheAthleticNBA/s...08277097041922

https://www.espn.com/nba/stats/team/...Points/dir/asc
    Last edited by mufan2003; 04-29-2022 at 11:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MUFAN2003 View Post
    The schedule is out for Milwaukee/Boston with tip times TBD:

https://twitter.com/johnhollinger/st...95830767611907
    That schedule really seems drawn out, going from a Tuesday to Saturday. I wonder if the length of the series may make it possible for Middleton to return somewhere in the games 5-7 area (5/11-5/15).

He was injured on 4/20, so 5/11 is three full weeks away. Maybe game 6 or 7 (trying to be optimistic here).

Quote Originally Posted by Goose85 View Post
    That schedule really seems drawn out, going from a Tuesday to Saturday. I wonder if the length of the series may make it possible for Middleton to return somewhere in the games 5-7 area (5/11-5/15).

He was injured on 4/20, so 5/11 is three full weeks away. Maybe game 6 or 7 (trying to be optimistic here).
    Before Shams Charania's tweet, I thought that large gap (3 days off) would allow Middleton to return at some point in this series. Nothing official from the Bucks, I guess I was surprised as well that before the series even started, that someone could rule him out for the entire series (with an injury that is a sprain).

Interesting that the Bucks just came off a series where their opponent (Bulls) finished 4th in the league in 3FG% (36.9%). The Celtics were 14th as a team (35.6%). The Bucks, at least during the regular season, tend to give up 3's to their opponents despite wanting to take away attempts at the rim and beyond the arc (allowing tough 2's).

Some other interesting numbers from the 82-game regular season:

Offense

NET Rating: MIL-3.2 (8th) BOS-7.4 (2nd)
    Offensive Rating: MIL-114.3 (3rd) BOS-113.6 (9th)
    Effective FG%: MIL-54.6 (6th) BOS-54.2 (9th)
    PPG: MIL-115.5 (3rd) BOS-111.8 (12th)
    3FG%: MIL-36.6 (5th) BOS-35.6 (14th)
    OREB%: MIL-26.9 (16th) BOS-27.7 (11th)

Defense

Defensive Rating: MIL-111.1 (14th) BOS-106.2 (1st) ***no Brook Lopez, MIL #1 in Playoffs
    PPG: MIL-112.1 (19th) BOS-104.5 (1st)
    FG%: MIL-45.6 (11th) BOS-43.4 (1st)
    3FG%: MIL-35.6 (19th) BOS-33.9 (1st)
    DREB%: MIL-74.7 (2nd) BOS-72.5 (16th)

Great start to the series. Boston went up against a small and poor defensive team in Brooklyn.

With Lopez, Milwaukee is difficult to score against at the rim. Boston is an average 3PT shooting team. Stay tight on Tatum and Brown (limit wide open 3's).

Giannis with a triple-double....Portis and Holiday with double-doubles.
    Last edited by mufan2003; 05-01-2022 at 02:54 PM.

The activity and physicality from both teams defensively reminded me of a playoff game from the 90's. Fascinating watch given we have not seen much of that type of play in many years.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast