Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brook Lopez is back

Brook Lopez is back

As is George Hill. Both will play @Utah tomorrow night. 14 regular season games remaining, this is great news.

https://twitter.com/Bucks/status/150...gzT_taQVA&s=19

Gonna take some time for him to get back up to game speed. Picked up some fouls by being a half step late. They got chewed up by Utah's guards when he was in the game running the drop coverage. The guard would go over the screen and Utah punished it.

But man, how good was Jrue down the stretch. Hard to believe that guy wasn't an all star.

Jrue Holiday was fantastic last night. I believe he had 5 steals including one crucial one late in the 4th. The "behind the backboard" shot along the baseline was ridiculous. Also love the way he can finish with either hand in the lane. A big, strong guard who is having another great season. He really is viewed as an All-Star in this league, just a matter of there not being enough spots. Steve Kerr and Quinn Snyder with some high praise for Jrue.

I thought Brook Lopez looked good for his first game back. Just his size/mass alone clogs things up around the basket. He played all of his first half minutes in the 2nd quarter. Utah scored 39 in the 1st QTR and only 20 in the 2nd QTR. Added a corner three, I was pleased.

One guy who is really impressing/surprising me is Jevon Carter. Bucks were +13 with him on the court last night, highest of any player. George Hill might lose his spot. Carter is only 26 and just dogs opposing players full court. In addition, he is hitting the corner three and making smart reads/passes. At times, Holiday and Carter in the backcourt together can really disrupt an opposing team.

Things are trending well for the Bucks right now (2nd in the East), with Connaughton not too far away from returning as well.
    Last edited by mufan2003; 03-15-2022 at 11:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MUFAN2003 View Post
    One guy who is really impressing/surprising me is Jevon Carter. Bucks were +13 with him on the court last night, highest of any player. George Hill might lose his spot. Carter is only 26 and just dogs opposing players full court. In addition, he is hitting the corner three and making smart reads/passes.
    Was just texting with some friends about that. If they get Toronto that's a guy they can throw at FVV to try and make him uncomfortable.

Holiday was the difference maker last year in the playoffs, and I really think he is playing even at a higher level right now. Especially his outside shot.
    If he keeps playing at this level, we will really enjoy some may and hopefully June playoff basketball.

Great to have Lopez get back on the court with a dozen or so games left. Get back into the flow and hopefully be healthy and have fresh legs in the playoffs.

Carter may surprise in giving the Bucks some depth and like you said MUFan2003, younger and more active than Hill. Keep making good decisions and hitting outside shots and the Bucks are better and deeper.

Different playoff series will be interesting on what the Bucks will use for lineups. Last year Portis didn't play much or at all down the stretch in the Nets series, but was important in other series.

Giannis, Holiday, Middelton will get their minutes no matter what, as will Allen and Connaughton too when he is back. If Lopez is ready, he will too.
    With guys like Portis, Ibaka, Matthews, Carter, Hill, and Nwora we will be in good shape matching up with any opponent in the playoffs.

A couple other thoughts:

(1) The bench is looking to be MUCH better than the bench was last season in the playoffs, when there practically was none. I know the rotation shrinks, but you could only count on 2 guys off the bench last season:

20-21
    Lopez
    Giannis
    Tucker
    Middleton
    Holiday

Portis
    Connaughton
    Teague

21-22
    Lopez
    Giannis
    Middleton
    Allen
    Holiday

Portis
    Connaughton
    Carter
    Ibaka
    Matthews
    Hill
    Nwora

That is night and day in terms of depth. DiVincenzo got injured in the first round last season and Teague was basically washed up. I believe Thanasis was even getting some run at the end of quarters to give key guys a little more rest. On the flip side, the East is MUCH improved from last season. I still think the Bucks are one of the 2 or 3 favorites, but not sure they could win this year's Eastern Conference with the depth they had in last year's playoffs.

(2) Giannis seemed to be having a quiet night against Utah, until a few key plays down the stretch, but still finished with 30 and 14 and as the leading scorer. His "off" nights still fill up the stat sheet.

(3) I would try to get the best seed possible, home court could be a major factor against a Miami, Brooklyn or Philly. The Bucks have never played all that well in South Beach. They won game 7 in Brooklyn, but those are not good odds to gamble with. Pretty safe bet they will finish with a better record than Brooklyn, I hope they can surpass Miami and stay ahead of Philly. Don't be afraid of the #1 seed (everyone's gunning for you anyway as defending Champs).
    Last edited by mufan2003; 03-16-2022 at 11:19 AM.

Great comparison from year to year MUFAN2003.

Horst has done a really good job of continually building this team from a depth standpoint.

You are right, the East top to bottom will be a beast come playoff time, but I really like how the Bucks are set up for this playoff run.

I didn't realize it until today, as I didn't see the Bucks v. Timberwolves game, but Lopez started and played 20 min scoring 15 points. Giannis didn't play.
    Also see that Connaughton played 20 min and also had 15 points.

Good too see both are back in the lineup, and with 11 more games to go, hopefully both are ready for the playoff run.

Yes, nice having everyone back. The Bucks thoroughly dismantled the Bulls last night and are playing just the way you would want heading into the playoffs.

The East is still so tight....only 10 games remain in the regular season with still little separation. I would not mind seeing the Bulls in the playoffs.

I would rank the other teams in the East as follows, in terms of who provides the toughest challenge to the Bucks (assuming full complement of players):

1-Brooklyn
    2-Miami
    3-Philly
    4-Boston
    5-Toronto
    6-Cleveland
    7-Chicago

Some pundits really high on Boston, that they could come out of the East, #4 might be too low for them. Tatum and Brown, shot-blocking center in Robert Williams and one of the better statistical defensive teams in the NBA. For me, Brooklyn if they have Durant, Irving and eventually Simmons. Plus, Miami and Toronto always provide problems. Miami with 3-point shooting, Adebayo, toughness and great coaching.....Toronto with their length at multiple positions and good coaching as well.

With better depth than last season's playoff roster, plus the way the returning players haven's seemed to miss a beat, no doubt the Bucks can win the East again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast