Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Coaches on Coaches

Didn't UW fire his sister? Not sure everything was peachy with his dad either.

Quote Originally Posted by Markedman View Post
    I don't think that is the reason he won't go to UW. I think some bad blood exists between UW and the Bennett family.....
    Bingo. More than just bad blood.

I kind of know both sides to that story, and there is enough blame to go around. Bennett left them at a time that they had no choice but to hire Soderberg. (And I actually was told that was going to happen about nine months before it did. And if *I* knew about it, I'm sure UW officials knew about it too.) But Bennett, more that Bo, is who is really responsible for the resurgence of UW basketball. And the fact that this isn't recognized by UW is kind of sad.

The story goes well before that. The reason why Bennett left is the heart of the issues. It was not the stress of the job, that was the convenient reason.

Bennett told Richter before the Final 4 that he was planning on quitting after the Final 4. Richter talked him into staying. He firmly believed his last game was going to be at the Final 4. I was told that by the person who Bennett told that to - right after the Final 4. He did not quit, as some believe, to get Soderberg the job or to force UW into that. Some of his reasoning is still involved with UW ... and a large reason why Tony will not consider UW.

Tony remaining at UW after Soderberg was out was a matter of convenience, so to say, for both parties.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12