Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who makes MU's All Time Team in ESPNs Top 50 Programs?

PG - Meminger
    SG - Wade
    C - Chones
    PF - Lucas
    SF - Ellis

Bench - Tatum, Lee, Thompson

Answer:

50 in 50 starting five (1962-present)
    G – Butch Lee (1975-78)
    G – Dwyane Wade (2002-03)
    F – Bo Ellis (1974-77)
    F – Maurice Lucas (1973-74)
    C – Jim Chones (1971-72)

Top options off the bench
    Dean Meminger (1969-71)
    George Thompson (1967-69)
    Doc Rivers (1981-83)
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by Markedman View Post
    I was a big Sam Worthen fan .

He had 2 very good years here but were they better then Jae's? Averaged 14 points 4 rebounds and 6.8 assists for his career. Jae had similar numbers(more rebounds less assists) and was a far better defender.

Tough choices for sure.

Tony Smith might be ahead of both of them for me considering he was a 4 year guy.
    Sam would undoubtedly be on the All-Cool team for MU. Unreal passer and no point guard in MU history posted up better than Sam. The '78-'79 team one of MU's most underrated teams IMO. Three NBA players - Sam, Toone, Wilson. Odell Ball more than serviceable 5 and Byrd an undersized and underrated 4 - quick jumper.

It is mind-boggling to me that anyone can leave Meminger out of a top five. He was first-team A-A and was hands down the top point guard in the country his senior year. And it wasn't like his soph and junior years were chopped liver.

Butch and Wade are our only other first-team A-A's, and both also deserve to be on the team. Butch was national POY as a senior.

Chones is a slam dunk - the most dominating big man MU has ever had.

I think a lot of people give Lucas too much credit. He had some very nice rebounding stats in his two-year career, but I honestly believe Luke under-performed, especially as a junior. There were rumors that Al was not at all pleased with Mo's inconsistent effort and even considered removing him from the starting line up at one point to try to motivate Luke to play to his potential more frequently.

In terms of overall performance as well as impact on his teams, I would definitely put Bo ahead of Luke on MU's all-time list.

I also question Doc's inclusion. He had a solid three years at MU, but I don't think he was any better than Michael Wilson, his backcourt partner for a couple of those years. In fact, Wilson was far superior as a defender and about equally productive on offense. As much as people may disagree, I don't think Doc deserves to be anywhere close to being mentioned.

My first five would be the Dream, Butch, DWade, Chones, and Bo.

The top reseves would be Lucas, Tatum, and Thompson with a real dogfight after those three that would include Walton, Worthen, Miller, McIlvaine, and a host of others.

Have to agree with Phantom. Meminger should not be left off that team. Controlled games with the dribble. Unbelievable with the ball in his hands at the end of games. No one at MU was a better scoring point guard. The SI picture of him at MSG withthe NIT MVP trophy on his head is a Marquette classic. Agree on Luke--he did not score a lot but he was an intimidating presence and a damn good rebounder. With Luke, always have to remember to consider him with the team that surrounded him--everyone could score. I agree with Phantom's 5 but I have a very tough time leaving Brute Force off that team. As great as Bo was for MU, I think George may have been better--but Bo deserves to be there.

The thing with these"all-time" teams is just that, too much time and too many great players. I would prefer to pick a Dream Team of 13 for this purpose.

I also agree with Phantom. Meminger was one of the best I witnessed at MU. That would have been my top 5. I also like that someone other than I would put Lucky Lloyd in the mix. He was a spunky and fun player to watch. I still remember him shutting down Adrian Dantley when MU played a box and 1 and beat ND on the road. That was a classic game.

Al also used Lloyd in the same manner against IU, if memory serves, when he had him match up with 6'7" consensus A-A Scott May. I'm not sure, but I think May was pretty much of a non-factor.

If I recall, May had foul trouble in the 1st half, that nuetralized him. Unfortunately, MU was not able to take advantage of that. MU played tight and not as well as they typically had, that game. Another in the "could have" Final 4's for Al. I really wish they seeded back then. UCLA had an easy run to the Final 4 each year.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12