Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Finals: Bucks and Suns

Quote Originally Posted by MUFAN2003 View Post
    Great game to be at. Bucks seem to make every series stressful, but their MO seems to be that they figure it out more and more as the series progresses. I am sure Booker will shoot better, but the Bucks also played great defense on him from the tip. I think it frustrated him. Paul seemingly continues to make everything he puts up, I still believe his shooting will level off a bit as well.

Middleton can shoot better, he was solid going 6-14 but he can have games where he doesn't seem to miss. Just avoid another Game 2 scenario where Middleton and Holiday both shoot less than 33%. Monty Williams complaining a bit about fouls, but that seemed to be their strategy until Giannis started making free throws.
    Yeah, hard for Williams to complain about the disparity in foul shooting when they have a foul Giannis strategy. We should draw more fouls, as they have tended to shoot from the outside, and you draw less fouls than if you would force the action in the paint as the Bucks have done.

Not sure why Bud doesn't complain more, as that has long been something coaches do in the playoffs. Guys like Phil Jackson and Pat Riley used to do it all the time. I don't tend to complain about refs, as that seems to be making excuses, but our guys sure don't seem to get the benefit of the doubt as much as others (Durant and Young in the previous series). Connaughton seems to get a lot of fouls called on him for having his head in the way of the opponents elbows. I might be a homer on this, but I think our guys don't get the calls they deserve.

Man, the Bucks sure make it stressful. What a win!

*Needed every bit of Middleton's 40 with Jrue shooting 4 of 20 and the Bucks shooting 40% overall and 24% (7-29 ) from beyond the arc.

*If the Bucks had lost that game, the non-foul call when Booker mugged Holiday would have been a huge story. How is such a clear foul missed?? Booker was holding Holiday with his right arm and making contact, swiping down with his left.

*Giannis with one of the most incredible recoveries and block on Ayton I have ever seen in a crucial moment of a Finals game. A key play in getting the win.

*Like the Brooklyn series, winning @Phoenix just seems like it is going to be difficult. Protect home-court and get one on the road. I hope they can do it.
    Last edited by mufan2003; 07-14-2021 at 11:00 PM.

Both teams threw a ton into that game, and looked beat afterward. I think G5, much like my professional life in these Finals, will come down to who can best manage that hangover.

The disparity in shot volume has been so overwhelming that its literally a matter of if the Bucks can make those shots. Man, it'd be fun to steal one and see what this city is like on Thursday.

I think that no call on Booker mugging Holiday had everything to do with his having 5 fouls. Often, it seems, a ref may wait to see if the shot was missed before blowing the whistle. Had Booker hit a game winner, that non call would have been all anyone would talk about today.

Holiday couldn't hit a layup and we still won. What a game. I really think the defensive pressure is getting to Paul by the time the 4th quarter rolls around. Neither team is going very deep on the bench, so players will be gassed in Q4.

Agree on the Giannis block, that was incredible at a crucial moment. Not to mention, it happened over 11 feet up in the air.

If Middleton is on, and Holiday does anything on offense we are in very good shape. Giannis passing out when getting fouled going to the hoop saved him from shooting a bunch of free throws.

Connaughton has hit some big shots and has been key in this series.

Bud is really doing some coaching. In the first two games, Paul controlled the offense so now they pick him up before half court. Ayton had been driving - now they throw multiple people at him when he gets anywhere close. They certainly have the scouting and game prep down, if they can just hit their shots.

Booker - I had him for 7 fouls. Two obvious calls that were swallowed to keep him in the game.
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by IWB View Post
    Bud is really doing some coaching. In the first two games, Paul controlled the offense so now they pick him up before half court. Ayton had been driving - now they throw multiple people at him when he gets anywhere close. They certainly have the scouting and game prep down, if they can just hit their shots.

Booker - I had him for 7 fouls. Two obvious calls that were swallowed to keep him in the game.
    Coach Bud has been everyone's punching bag, and I think it has been over the top. Middleton and Giannis joined the Bucks in 2013, no playoff series wins until Bud's first season. In just 3 seasons (2019 to 2021), Bud's accomplishments with a franchise that was practically irrelevant:

(1) Best record in NBA and Eastern Conference Finals in Bud's first year (2019)
    (2) Giannis wins MVP in Bud's first year (2019)
    (3) Khris Middleton with 1st All-Star selection in Bud's first year (2019)
    (4) Best record in NBA in Bud's second year (2020) *disappointing ECSF loss in bubble, but those were crazy times with players not wanting to be there
    (5) Giannis wins 2nd consecutive MVP in Bud's second year (2020)
    (6) Khris Middleton with 2nd All-Star selection in Bud's second year (2020)
    (7) NBA Finals in Bud's third year (2021)
    (8) Multiple COY awards, including two voted on by his peers

Middleton never took 3-point attempts before Bud got here. Now, Middleton is a great 3-point shooter (in addition to mid-range). I just can't fathom many coaches that would have done as much with this organization in just 3 seasons. Yet people have been wanting to run Bud out of town for a while now. He isn't perfect, but he is in the top tier of NBA coaches. I also think he has been willing to learn and adjust.
    Last edited by mufan2003; 07-15-2021 at 06:42 PM.

My favorite play of the series to this point; Giannis' block on Ayton from every angle imaginable:

https://twitter.com/NBA/status/1415544383269638147

I think the key for Bud is he is making adjustments, which he didn't do in the playoffs for the last two years.

Some of it may also be Holiday. Not yesterday, but in game 3 Holiday had the ball moving up the side and Giannis was going up the middle of the court. Giannis called for the ball, and Holiday waved him off, telling him to go to the low block.
    That is a huge difference from the past couple years where Giannis would want to bring the ball up and run into the defensive wall.

Bud / Holiday have gotten Giannis to buy in that he can make more of an impact when not dribbling the ball up court.

Quote Originally Posted by Goose85 View Post
    I think the key for Bud is he is making adjustments, which he didn't do in the playoffs for the last two years.

Some of it may also be Holiday. Not yesterday, but in game 3 Holiday had the ball moving up the side and Giannis was going up the middle of the court. Giannis called for the ball, and Holiday waved him off, telling him to go to the low block.
    That is a huge difference from the past couple years where Giannis would want to bring the ball up and run into the defensive wall.

Bud / Holiday have gotten Giannis to buy in that he can make more of an impact when not dribbling the ball up court.
    Yes, in 2019 and to an extent in 2020, Giannis knew how to play one way. From the top off the key, off a ball screen, driving downhill at 100mph (often including a Euro-step). Finishing or kicking to shooters. It worked pretty well until the ECF when Toronto built a wall, teammates stopped making shots or Giannis was called for a charge.

This year, during the regular season, they worked on preparing for more of a half-court game come playoff time; Giannis in the wide post, off the pick-and-roll and around the elbows. Giannis working on post moves. Also, substitute Bledsoe for Holiday and it has worked better.

Credit Budenholzer for using the regular season to try playing different ways (offensively with Giannis and defensively as a team). Also Jon Horst for acquiring Holiday, Tucker, Portis and Forbes.
    Last edited by mufan2003; 07-15-2021 at 11:02 AM.

Bud has coached his ass off since G2 in Brooklyn. There are still some lineup things I question (Teague, Jeffrey) but it's worked out.

One thing I thought was interesting was Portis in the closing minutes. To be honest, I thought it was a massive gamble that paid off. Bobby just doesn't have the defensive awareness to play a heavy switching system. He can hold his own on-ball, but was a mess at times and left some dudes wide-f'in open.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast