Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Finals: Bucks and Suns

Quote Originally Posted by Goose85 View Post
    Well, another game 1 where it didn't seem like we played very well. Disappointing, but I think the Suns played their best game.

Going out on a limb, but I think we win the next 3 games, 1 in Phoenix and the 2 in MKE. That just seems to be the way we have played this post season.
    Yep. Phoenix 4-0 in Game 1s this postseason while the Bucks are 1-3 after last night. For the first time though, the Bucks' shooting in Game 1 was good (45.5% on FGs and 44% [16-36] beyond the arc).

For a team with as many All-NBA Defensive players (current or former) as the Bucks, I thought they were poor on that side of the ball. They let their best mid-range shooters get to their spots (Paul and Booker) while leaving their best 3-point shooters (Cam Johnson and Mikal Bridges) open beyond the arc. Devin Booker only shot 34% from three during the regular season and is shooting 32.7% from three in the postseason. Keep him out of the mid-range. Chris Paul shot the ball about as well as he can shoot it.

Free throws was another major factor. Phoenix goes 25 of 26 from the charity stripe while Milwaukee was 9 of 16. 16-point differential right there in a 13-point loss. Booker was flailing his shoulders and arms around any Bucks player early, getting the calls.......then rightfully got that offensive foul call against him for kicking his leg out.

One thing I think the Bucks have done well this playoffs, learn as each series goes on, how to defend the opposing team and how to attack them. In addition, need Jrue Holiday back in the form that he was during the Atlanta series. While Game 2 is big, even if they lose, no need to panic. Bucks were down 2-0 to Brooklyn as well. Phoenix is good, and balanced, but I think the Bucks allowed them to play to their strengths too much. Learn from the film and correct it for Game 2.

I think we saw just how hard it is for them last night. They made adjustments to take away the PNR looks and ended up conceding 17 mostly open corner threes, and Phoenix hit 10 of them. Just killer.

Unless Jrue and Khris bounce back and have the best five games of their lives, I think this thing is probably done in 5 or 6. Suns are just better, no shame in that.

*My gut feel was that the Bucks would head back to Milwaukee down 0-2....just like the Brooklyn series. Chris Paul and Devin Booker have looked like Steph Curry and Kobe Bryant through the first 2 games. They are good, but this good? Is it sustainable? Booker is known as a great scorer, but Chris Paul? Bridges was great, loved him at Nova. I think the Suns have played their A+ game through the first two.

*The Bucks helped on defense too often last night; one time Giannis is doubling on the wing leaving Booker wide open at the top of the key. The Bucks, individually, are too good and too long defensively to be doubling anyone and leaving someone wide open. Time to "man up" (Shaq quote), stop helping and win your defensive assignment one-on-one.

*Jrue Holiday (7-21) and Khris Middleton (5-16) need to play better offensively and I think they will. With their size advantage (6'4" and 6'8") over Paul (6'0") and Booker (6'5"), they need to be more aggressive.

*Saric out with an ACL injury, will Torrey Craig miss time after getting injured last night? All of a sudden, the Suns might have a very thin bench. Bucks need to continue punishing them in the paint......Giannis, Lopez, Holiday; get in the bonus early of each quarter and get the Suns in foul trouble. Giannis really started doing that in the 3rd quarter.

*Pat Connaughton has been fantastic. I hope Portis and Forbes can be more of a factor back at the Fiserv Forum.

*Goal: Protect home court and get one on the road. 2006 Heat, 2016 Cavs and 2021 Bucks (against Nets).......teams that have won coming back from 0-2. Maybe the Suns end up winning, but good grief they are not the Dream Team, no reason to concede anything at this point.
    Last edited by mufan2003; 07-09-2021 at 10:19 AM.

Agree with a lot of your post, '03. The depth point is something that I think needs to be an emphasis. Gotta try and get Ayton in foul trouble. There's just not a ton behind him.

Problem still lies with the backcourt/wings. They have reliably good shooters and guys who know how to move off the ball. The difference in how the two offenses operate has been staggering to watch.

I truly hope they can turn this thing around, but Phoenix fits the profile of teams that have given them the most trouble over the past couple seasons. Stealing a game out there would have been massive.

Ayton in foul trouble worked well. They have no depth, and our strength is scoring in the paint, and getting second chance offensive opportunities.

Holiday hit shots, and when he does that we are tough to beat.

Suns came back to earth a bit shooting wise last night.

Great win and gives us momentum going into game 4.

Needed that win last night, and the defense was better. I still get irritated when 2 players end up on Paul and someone is left wide open for a roll to the hoop or an open 3. Regardless, loved the way the Bucks extended the lead.

Jrue Holiday with some big and timely 3-point shots in the 3rd quarter....finished 5-10 from beyond the arc with 21 points and 9 assists.

Phoenix is small without Ayton. From Giannis to Brook to Portis and even Middleton and Holiday at their positions......are just bigger than Phoenix. Love it when the Bucks play inside-out.

Now need to get Game 4.

It was an unbelievable night down there. Was fortunate to be in the building and it was something I'll never forget.

Game 4 is gonna be stressful as hell. Booker won't shoot it that poorly again, and Jrue probably won't shoot it that well. I loved some of the action the Bucks ran to get some easy ones, and that Giannis did a lot of his damage from the wing/baseline rather than the top of the key.

I had to laugh at the Suns fans behind me hating Frank as much, if not more, than I do.

Quote Originally Posted by MUfan12 View Post
    It was an unbelievable night down there. Was fortunate to be in the building and it was something I'll never forget.

Game 4 is gonna be stressful as hell. Booker won't shoot it that poorly again, and Jrue probably won't shoot it that well. I loved some of the action the Bucks ran to get some easy ones, and that Giannis did a lot of his damage from the wing/baseline rather than the top of the key.

I had to laugh at the Suns fans behind me hating Frank as much, if not more, than I do.
    Great game to be at. Bucks seem to make every series stressful, but their MO seems to be that they figure it out more and more as the series progresses. I am sure Booker will shoot better, but the Bucks also played great defense on him from the tip. I think it frustrated him. Paul seemingly continues to make everything he puts up, I still believe his shooting will level off a bit as well.

Middleton can shoot better, he was solid going 6-14 but he can have games where he doesn't seem to miss. Just avoid another Game 2 scenario where Middleton and Holiday both shoot less than 33%. Monty Williams complaining a bit about fouls, but that seemed to be their strategy until Giannis started making free throws.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast