Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bucks vs Nets

Bucks vs Nets

https://twitter.com/Bucks/status/1399951675222339585

Tip for Game 1 has been set for Saturday at 6:30pm (TNT).

I like the narrative of "who can give Brooklyn the toughest challenge?" Brooklyn is the favorite to come out of East. Durant, Harden and Irving (Joe Harris' shooting) can be an offensive juggernaut, but Brooklyn was 22nd in defensive rating. I like how Milwaukee was Top 10, usually top 5, in nearly every major statistical category. Will the Bucks prove to be more well-rounded of a team offensively, defensively and on the boards?

Great quote from PJ Tucker after the Bucks went up 3-0 on Miami. This was from the Athletic, great coverage for anyone that doesn't subscribe. 2 quotes from a lengthy article. Talks about the new mentality of the team and raves about Jrue Holiday. Holiday, Portis and Tucker have added a toughness. Forbes has been a great addition as well.

“We dogs,” Tucker said. “That’s all we talk about. That’s all I ever talk about. We gotta be dogs. People’s perceptions of us and what people think in the past, we’re erasing all of that. We’re coming out every night focused, not shying away from moments. I wasn’t here. Jrue wasn’t here. Bobby, we got a bunch of new guys in addition to everybody that’s been here. We’re just bringing that mentality and that’s what it’s about. Carrying that mentality every game, every possession, every day.”

“Jrue is the most underrated player in the league, by far,” Tucker said. “People don’t understand how good he is. I didn’t understand how good he was until I played with him. He gets it. And he is the quietest dog you’ve ever played with in your life. He doesn’t say anything, but you know he’s there.”

Like Tucker, I never really watched Holiday until he was a Buck so I didn't realize how good he is. If we had him a couple years ago we don't lose to Toronto and we would have won the NBA title.

I was looking at some stats, and noticed the Nets are not a great defensive rebounding team, while conversely, the Bucks are a good offensive rebounding team. We hit the offensive glass in the Miami series and it paid dividends. I think our hitting the offensive glass, and getting second chance scoring opportunities, may be the difference.

The Nets have the three big scores, and as the old saying goes, "You can't stop them, you can only contain them."
    I think our defense lines up pretty well with their three big scorers giving the Bucks a better chance than most to "contain" them.

Quote Originally Posted by Goose85 View Post
    Like Tucker, I never really watched Holiday until he was a Buck so I didn't realize how good he is. If we had him a couple years ago we don't lose to Toronto and we would have won the NBA title.

I was looking at some stats, and noticed the Nets are not a great defensive rebounding team, while conversely, the Bucks are a good offensive rebounding team. We hit the offensive glass in the Miami series and it paid dividends. I think our hitting the offensive glass, and getting second chance scoring opportunities, may be the difference.

The Nets have the three big scores, and as the old saying goes, "You can't stop them, you can only contain them."
    I think our defense lines up pretty well with their three big scorers giving the Bucks a better chance than most to "contain" them.
    Great point Goose. Coach Bud didn't want his team hitting the offensive boards the past 2 seasons, instead preferred getting back and having a set defense.

He has adjusted this year, and guys like DiVincenzo (before injury) and Bobby Portis have been a major factor on the offensive glass.

Like the series against Miami, the Bucks had another poor shooting night in a Game 1 after a week off. 6-30 (20%) beyond the arc for a team that shot 38% during the regular season.

Middleton was 6-23 and 0-5 from beyond the arc. The Bucks just looked flat and couldn't get away with it against a much better team. Blake Griffin's performance was surprising as well.

No Harden again for Game 2, Bucks have to play better and need to get back to shooting their typical %.

If we shoot the way we are capable, and not even like we did in that one crazy game against Miami, but just normal shooting, we get the game tonight.

That was hard to watch. Was excited to watch the game, and ended up channel surfing and not watching most of the 2nd half.

Need to come back in game 3 or I think Bud is going to be in some trouble trying to keep his job.

Quote Originally Posted by Goose85 View Post
    That was hard to watch. Was excited to watch the game, and ended up channel surfing and not watching most of the 2nd half.

Need to come back in game 3 or I think Bud is going to be in some trouble trying to keep his job.
    Yeah, it would be one thing to lose the series, another if it continues like this. Durant and Irving are not Durant, Curry and Thompson.

Some of this looks mental, not one to analyze body language, but they just appeared to be in a daze.
    Last edited by mufan2003; 06-08-2021 at 11:17 AM.

Pessimistic Outlook:

The Bucks have great regular seasons, look great in the first round of the playoffs, then the bottom drops out in the Conference Semi-Finals or Conference Finals. Bud gets fired along with Horst (Ownership looks to bring in Masai Ujiri from Toronto to manage personnel and bring in a new coach).

Optimistic Outlook:

2019 ECF. Toronto went down 0-2 to Milwaukee, were down 64-39 at halftime of Game 2 and ended up losing 125-103. It appeared Toronto was overmatched and that the Bucks were headed to the NBA Finals. Toronto goes on to win 4 straight. Can the Bucks turn it around?

*I suspect most would believe the former is how it will play out. I also put a lot of this on Giannis, Middleton and to a lesser extent Holiday. They look slow to react, unsure what they want to do offensively, incompetent defensively and appear to be playing without a purpose. It is not as if this group has no playoff experience.
    Last edited by mufan2003; 06-08-2021 at 11:17 AM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast