Thread: A Tribute to Theo

A Tribute to Theo

Before Senior Day, I want to offer a tribute to Theo.

I have been watching MU basketball for more than 60 years, and I can honestly say, Theo has become one of the players I have come to truly admire and respect.

Theo embodies the qualities that I've always felt made one a "Warrior." Last year he played with an injured hand that required surgery after the season, but he played through the pain and discomfort. This year, again, he is fighting through an injury, only this time his knee. Again, I've read that he will likely undergo surgery after the season.

Yet game after game he is giving the proverbial 100%. Quite simply, he never takes a play off.

But even besides all that, Theo has improved his overall game tremendously his four years at MU. Each year he has gotten markedly better. He had basically no moves....and for the most part no touch....as a freshman. Now he is a threat to score with either hand. He shows good footwork, and his touch has improved.

And, of course, there's his free throw shooting. I doubt any of us expected Theo to be anything more than a 50% - 55% shooter from the charity stripe, but he's turned himself into a reasonably reliable shooter from the charity stripe. He's made a higher per cent of his free throws this year (73.2%) than Jamal and D.J. Hard work pays off.

But he has also improved dramatically in other areas as well. He has become significantly better both at hitting teammates cutting to the basket and finding and kicking the ball out to open teammates on the perimeter.

Defensively, he has become, by far, the best defensive center at MU in the past 25 years. He not only defends the paint; he is remarkably effective at guarding smaller, quicker players on the perimeter.

And, he has learned how to play solid defense without fouling. He has fouled out twice this year in 25 games, despite the fact, that he often gets called for what I view as questionable "ticky-tack" fouls.

I honestly believe that Theo has made himself into the best all-around 5 we've had at MU in the past quarter century, and that he has improved more than any other 5 at MU during that time.

On top of all that, Theo seems like a terrific teammate and a great representative of both the program and the school.

It would be great if Theo decides to return for the extra year, but I think the odds of that happening are slim to none. I am hoping, however, that we may see Theo represent MU in the future in "The Basketball Tournament."

Above all else, I just want to say "Thank you" to Theo. I truly enjoy watching him play, and I think we fans will miss him more next year than we can possibly imagine. I wish this season had gone better for the team, but Theo has been a bright light.

My guess is he will end up being successful in any endeavor he undertakes, basketball-related or not.

I think the DePaul game describes what Theo means to the team. He wasn't going to play as I am sure he was beat up and wanted to rest for Senior Day. Lewis gets into foul trouble right away and Theo gives Wojo a couple of minutes in the first half to make it through the half. Guy just sacrifices himself for the team and unfortunately, not enough people recognize that.

Another aspect of Theo that I appreciate is how he handles himself on the court. As a big guy you tend to pick up fouls that are disagreeable. Even on questionable calls, Theo generally keeps his composure. Seems to me his outbursts of emotion have been more after making a big dunk, not complaining about a bad call.

As Silver said, he has improved his game, and I hope he finds a good fit getting paid to play the game next year.

We are a better team with him on the court than off. I whole heartedly believe that. We don't have anyone else with the size to be an imposing presence in the middle. While I like Dawson and Justin a lot, they are still young and learning the game. Theo gives us that presence down low that no one else on the team can right now.

And he has improved his game dramatically. His jump hooks have turned into decent shots. He has dramatically improved free throw shooting. I don't dread him going to the line anymore, especially late in a game. And I hope, as part of Senior Day, they run a play where he can put up a three pointer! Would be a nice way to close out his time at MU.