Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 24

Thread: Giannis

  1. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by AbovetheRim View Post
    Completely disagree with this given the NBA is a superstar driven league. You don't typically get one of those picking outside the top 5 or so. It would need to be a one step back to take a few forward approach, IMO. Maybe a complete teardown if he were to leave.
    That’s fine, but you lose out on a ton of assets if Giannis walks. You could speed up the rebuild by trading Giannis for a ton of picks or young talent.

    The worst thing would be Giannis not signing an extension and playing out next year not knowing if he will be back. Based on Covid, I could see it being a shorter deal due to the salary cap impact. However, Giannis has left money on the table before with his last contract.

    All of his comments point to him coming back, but Buzz also said he’d be here for as long as we wanted him.
    The artist formerly known as cheebs09

  2. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSultan View Post
    A potentially two time league MVP who's 25? Sign him to the super max and hope it works out.

    Not signing him, or if he leaves for elsewhere, and you become Oklahoma City. Good enough to make the playoffs but not really do any damage while you are there.
    OKC is a terrible analogy. You literally couldn't have picked a worse one. The Thunder overachieved big time this year (weren't supposed to make the playoffs; getting to Game 7 against the Rockets was gravy and they almost pulled off a series win) and the hauls they got for the trades for George, Westbrook and Grant are off the charts. Pieces like Chris Paul, Danilo Gallinari and Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, the first two of which will be moved before their contracts expire, plus the following draft situation the next few years...

    2020:
    * Nuggets’ first rounder (top 10 protected)
    * Own first rounder (1-20 protected)
    * Own second rounder (top 55 protected)

    2021:
    * Own first rounder
    * Heat's first rounder (unprotected)
    * Own second rounder

    2022:
    * Own first rounder
    * Clippers' first rounder (unprotected)
    * Own second rounder

    2023:
    * The higher first rounder between Thunder and Clippers
    * Heat's first rounder (lottery protected)
    * Own second rounder (may go to 76ers)

    2024:
    * Own first rounder
    * Clippers' first rounder (unprotected)
    * Grizzlies' second rounder
    * Own second rounder

    2025:
    * The better first rounder between Thunder and Clippers
    * Own second rounder

    2026:
    * Own first rounder
    * Clippers first rounder
    * Own second rounder


    The Thunder is actually in excellent shape looking to the future even after Durant left because of the moves made the last couple years.

  3. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by MU Viking View Post
    OKC is a terrible analogy. You literally couldn't have picked a worse one. The Thunder overachieved big time this year (weren't supposed to make the playoffs; getting to Game 7 against the Rockets was gravy and they almost pulled off a series win) and the hauls they got for the trades for George, Westbrook and Grant are off the charts. Pieces like Chris Paul, Danilo Gallinari and Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, the first two of which will be moved before their contracts expire, plus the following draft situation the next few years...

    2020:
    * Nuggets’ first rounder (top 10 protected)
    * Own first rounder (1-20 protected)
    * Own second rounder (top 55 protected)

    2021:
    * Own first rounder
    * Heat's first rounder (unprotected)
    * Own second rounder

    2022:
    * Own first rounder
    * Clippers' first rounder (unprotected)
    * Own second rounder

    2023:
    * The higher first rounder between Thunder and Clippers
    * Heat's first rounder (lottery protected)
    * Own second rounder (may go to 76ers)

    2024:
    * Own first rounder
    * Clippers' first rounder (unprotected)
    * Grizzlies' second rounder
    * Own second rounder

    2025:
    * The better first rounder between Thunder and Clippers
    * Own second rounder

    2026:
    * Own first rounder
    * Clippers first rounder
    * Own second rounder


    The Thunder is actually in excellent shape looking to the future even after Durant left because of the moves made the last couple years.
    13 first round picks in 7 years. If they draft decently they should be in pretty good shape. Just need to move Paul's contract, but I'm not sure that is possible.

  4. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by MU Viking View Post
    OKC is a terrible analogy. You literally couldn't have picked a worse one. The Thunder overachieved big time this year (weren't supposed to make the playoffs; getting to Game 7 against the Rockets was gravy and they almost pulled off a series win) and the hauls they got for the trades for George, Westbrook and Grant are off the charts. Pieces like Chris Paul, Danilo Gallinari and Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, the first two of which will be moved before their contracts expire, plus the following draft situation the next few years...

    2020:
    * Nuggets’ first rounder (top 10 protected)
    * Own first rounder (1-20 protected)
    * Own second rounder (top 55 protected)

    2021:
    * Own first rounder
    * Heat's first rounder (unprotected)
    * Own second rounder

    2022:
    * Own first rounder
    * Clippers' first rounder (unprotected)
    * Own second rounder

    2023:
    * The higher first rounder between Thunder and Clippers
    * Heat's first rounder (lottery protected)
    * Own second rounder (may go to 76ers)

    2024:
    * Own first rounder
    * Clippers' first rounder (unprotected)
    * Grizzlies' second rounder
    * Own second rounder

    2025:
    * The better first rounder between Thunder and Clippers
    * Own second rounder

    2026:
    * Own first rounder
    * Clippers first rounder
    * Own second rounder


    The Thunder is actually in excellent shape looking to the future even after Durant left because of the moves made the last couple years.

    First, I meant more about where they were seeded this year and how they really had no shot.

    Second, I absolutely bow to your knowledge of the Thunder and their future set up. I had very limited knowledge of this.

    Third, I am still not convinced this is the better alternative to building a contender than keeping the MVP you already have on your roster. (I know you aren't saying that.) Hoarding draft picks sometimes works, oftentimes doesn't.

  5. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSultan View Post
    First, I meant more about where they were seeded this year and how they really had no shot.

    Second, I absolutely bow to your knowledge of the Thunder and their future set up. I had very limited knowledge of this.

    Third, I am still not convinced this is the better alternative to building a contender than keeping the MVP you already have on your roster. (I know you aren't saying that.) Hoarding draft picks sometimes works, oftentimes doesn't.
    I get trying to set up a team for the future, we've been trying to do that since 1974.
    Hopefully we sign Giannis to another 5 years. Then, if he has interest in moving after that, go for the big haul of draft picks.

  6. #16
    So which is it, Sultan? The Thunder traded superstars George and Westbrook after the middling results you complain about... overachieve big time....and get the same results plus a bunch of draft picks? Before that, they took a gamble with Durant, went to game 7 of the WCF, and he walked which forced them into trading for Paul George to try to get another superstar.

    As you say, I never said trade Giannis. I think you do everything you can to resign him, particularly at his age. But I'd rather the Bucks not let him walk if it appears there's a good chance he'd head in that direction. I've lived that here when KD walked out on OKC, and it is a gigantic gut punch to fans. I've also lived through a beloved former MVP being traded (Westbrook, beloved in OKC, unlike KD) to a hated rival and somehow, that is a lot easier for people to stomach, knowing the future is bright.
    Last edited by MU Viking; 09-09-2020 at 06:19 PM.

  7. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by MU Viking View Post
    So which is it, Sultan? The Thunder traded superstars George and Westbrook after the middling results you complain about... overachieve big time....and get the same results plus a bunch of draft picks? Before that, they took a gamble with Durant, went to game 7 of the WCF, and he walked which forced them into trading for Paul George to try to get another superstar.

    As you say, I never said trade Giannis. I think you do everything you can to resign him, particularly at his age. But I'd rather the Bucks not let him walk if it appears there's a good chance he'd head in that direction. I've lived that here when KD walked out on OKC, and it is a gigantic gut punch to fans. I've also lived through a beloved former MVP being traded (Westbrook, beloved in OKC, unlike KD) to a hated rival and somehow, that is a lot easier for people to stomach, knowing the future is bright.
    I’m in complete agreement with you that they should trade him if he doesn’t sign. I have not disputed anything you have said.

  8. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSultan View Post
    I’m in complete agreement with you that they should trade him if he doesn’t sign. I have not disputed anything you have said.
    So trade him... but not for draft picks (your comment about hoarding draft picks)? What if he doesn't sign the supermax? OF COURSE you try to sign him (is anyone arguing the opposite?), but that doesn't make it magically happen.

    The Bucks would then have to make a decision of risking it and going for it all (similar to KD) or getting the best possible deal in a trade before the contract is up (Westbrook, George). So, unwittingly, with the bad Thunder analogy, you've given us the blueprints to what could happen if Giannis doesn't resign.
    Last edited by MU Viking; 09-10-2020 at 09:07 AM.

  9. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Goose85 View Post
    13 first round picks in 7 years. If they draft decently they should be in pretty good shape. Just need to move Paul's contract, but I'm not sure that is possible.
    Paul's stock hasn't been higher in several years. He scrapped the perceived bad attitude when he left Houston and was a legit All-Star this year. It's a big contract, but I won't put it past Sam Presti to find a good trade.

  10. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by MU Viking View Post
    So trade him... but not for draft picks (your comment about hoarding draft picks)? What if he doesn't sign the supermax? OF COURSE you try to sign him (is anyone arguing the opposite?), but that doesn't make it magically happen.

    The Bucks would then have to make a decision of risking it and going for it all (similar to KD) or getting the best possible deal in a trade before the contract is up (Westbrook, George). So, unwittingly, with the bad Thunder analogy, you've given us the blueprints to what could happen if Giannis doesn't resign.
    Dude, you seem to be arguing about something where no one is suggesting anything different. Sorry you got so bent out of shape on my bad Thunder analogy. Try to calm down now.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •