Quote Originally Posted by MU Viking View Post
OKC is a terrible analogy. You literally couldn't have picked a worse one. The Thunder overachieved big time this year (weren't supposed to make the playoffs; getting to Game 7 against the Rockets was gravy and they almost pulled off a series win) and the hauls they got for the trades for George, Westbrook and Grant are off the charts. Pieces like Chris Paul, Danilo Gallinari and Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, the first two of which will be moved before their contracts expire, plus the following draft situation the next few years...

2020:
* Nuggets’ first rounder (top 10 protected)
* Own first rounder (1-20 protected)
* Own second rounder (top 55 protected)

2021:
* Own first rounder
* Heat's first rounder (unprotected)
* Own second rounder

2022:
* Own first rounder
* Clippers' first rounder (unprotected)
* Own second rounder

2023:
* The higher first rounder between Thunder and Clippers
* Heat's first rounder (lottery protected)
* Own second rounder (may go to 76ers)

2024:
* Own first rounder
* Clippers' first rounder (unprotected)
* Grizzlies' second rounder
* Own second rounder

2025:
* The better first rounder between Thunder and Clippers
* Own second rounder

2026:
* Own first rounder
* Clippers first rounder
* Own second rounder

The Thunder is actually in excellent shape looking to the future even after Durant left because of the moves made the last couple years.

First, I meant more about where they were seeded this year and how they really had no shot.

Second, I absolutely bow to your knowledge of the Thunder and their future set up. I had very limited knowledge of this.

Third, I am still not convinced this is the better alternative to building a contender than keeping the MVP you already have on your roster. (I know you aren't saying that.) Hoarding draft picks sometimes works, oftentimes doesn't.