Thread: Close, but no Cigar!

Close, but no Cigar!

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sport...ls/3233603001/

Can't say enough good things about Strat-O-Matic. As a kid, played a zillion games (vast majority baseball) with a brother and neighborhood kids that we converted into Strato zealots.

Crazy accurate too. A brother and I replayed an abridged '69 season in '70 and both the Orioles and Mets made it to the World Series, with the O's taking it however.

Our cousins in Albany were APBA Baseball fans - maybe as accurate, but the games took forever whereas Strat-O-Matic you could play a game in 30 minutes or less.

Still play on occasion.

Quote Originally Posted by CaribouJim View Post
    https://www.jsonline.com/story/sport...ls/3233603001/

Can't say enough good things about Strat-O-Matic. As a kid, played a zillion games (vast majority baseball) with a brother and neighborhood kids that we converted into Strato zealots.

Crazy accurate too. A brother and I replayed an abridged '69 season in '70 and both the Orioles and Mets made it to the World Series, with the O's taking it however.

Our cousins in Albany were APBA Baseball fans - maybe as accurate, but the games took forever whereas Strat-O-Matic you could play a game in 30 minutes or less.

Still play on occasion.
    Great to see there is another Strato guy on the board. I still play strat-o-matic baseball. For Christmas a couple years ago I got the game for my oldest son, and he loves it. Order some teams every year and play (not full seasons like you did).
    A great game. Too bad the Bucks didn't win strato, but hopefully they will actually have a real playoff and see what happens.

Strat-O-Matic must have had me under surveillance - got this e-mail yesterday from them hawking the 1977 cards. I'm still on their e-mail list.

Strat-O-Matic Spotlights the 1977 Baseball Season!
    Yankees are World Series champs once more

“Mr. October”: Reggie homers 3 times in a Series game
    George Foster: 52 HR; Rod Carew: .388
    Free agency flourished. The AL expanded to Seattle and Toronto. Result: A humongous leap in runs and home runs. Carew had the highest average since ‘41. Foster was the first to hit 50 HR since ‘61. LA won a pennant with four 30-HR men. The Yanks, who spent the most on newcomers, got their payoff when free-agent Reggie Jackson hit 3 HR in pivotal World Series Game 6.

Quote Originally Posted by Goose85 View Post
    Great to see there is another Strato guy on the board. I still play strat-o-matic baseball. For Christmas a couple years ago I got the game for my oldest son, and he loves it. Order some teams every year and play (not full seasons like you did).
    A great game. Too bad the Bucks didn't win strato, but hopefully they will actually have a real playoff and see what happens.
    Did you tell him how I used to kick your ass in Strat-o-Matic?
    "He understands Justice under God"--Augustus Cornelius Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by Gato78 View Post
    Did you tell him how I used to kick your ass in Strat-o-Matic?
    As always, when one ages it seems the memory becomes foggy (ha). You were more of a photo-electric football kind of guy.