Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: On Pace for 70

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

On Pace for 70

Exactly halfway through the season and the Bucks are 35-6. Needles to say, if they match that in the 2nd half of the season, they finish 70-12. My gut says they don't quite get there, but impressive to be in the conversation. There have only been 2 teams in NBA history to reach the 70-win mark: The Chicago Bulls in 95-96 went 72-10 and the Golden State Warriors in 15-16 went 73-9. There are not many nights where it feels like the Bucks could lose.

Also impressive, the Bucks have scored 100+ in 65 straight games. That is an NBA record since the 1986 Dallas Mavericks scored 100+ in 67 straight games. The Bucks have the top defensive rating (101.5), 3rd in offensive rating (113.9), 1st in pace (104.8) and 1st in net rating (12.4). A good litmus test will be this Thursday against Boston. The team that gave the Bucks one of their 6 losses earlier in the season. Boston is 26-11 and own the 4th best record in the NBA.

As long as they are over 57 1/2, I'm good!

Quote Originally Posted by MUAlphaBangura View Post
    As long as they are over 57 1/2, I'm good!
    I think you're good on that one.

The Bucks have been fun to watch as they for the most part play pretty good team basketball. They have also been a much needed basketball fix given some of MU's recent struggles.

It's been rare to see a 70 win team, and with the relatively new load management practice who knows if we will see it again, but if anyone can do it the Bucks with their depth could be the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Goose85 View Post
    The Bucks have been fun to watch as they for the most part play pretty good team basketball. They have also been a much needed basketball fix given some of MU's recent struggles.

It's been rare to see a 70 win team, and with the relatively new load management practice who knows if we will see it again, but if anyone can do it the Bucks with their depth could be the team.
    Some of the national pundits think the Bucks are built for the regular season but don't have enough "star power" to win it all. I don't buy that. I see the Bucks in a similar fashion to the Spurs that won 5 during the Tim Duncan era. Giannis is Duncan, if not better, but otherwise it is a strong team built on depth, chemistry and playing together versus 2 or 3 superstars (i.e. the Heatles). The 2004 Pistons are another team that won it all without a Big 3, but rather a solid starting 5 with great chemistry and great defense.

Needless to say, give me a NBA championship over winning 70+ but falling short in the playoffs. If the Bucks are sitting at 68 or 69 wins with 2 games left, and the #1 seed wrapped up, I rest Giannis, Middleton, Bledsoe, etc. Some thought the Warriors were burnt out and nagged by injuries in 2016 when they went for 73 but lost to Cleveland in the NBA Finals.

Most teams that have the two or three star players have very little else.
    This Bucks team has the best player, but also have some high level players that seem to compliment each other well and play defense.
    The Bucks also confidently go more than 10 deep (Giannis, Middleton, Bledsoe, Wes, DiVencenzo, Lopez (2), Hill, Ersan, Connaughton, Brown, etc). Not many teams can do that, and it really helps when the star players take a breather and we are putting a much better bench up against anyone else.

I don't care about the number of regular season wins, just want to get to the NBA finals and have a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Goose85 View Post
    Most teams that have the two or three star players have very little else.
    This Bucks team has the best player, but also have some high level players that seem to compliment each other well and play defense.
    The Bucks also confidently go more than 10 deep (Giannis, Middleton, Bledsoe, Wes, DiVencenzo, Lopez (2), Hill, Ersan, Connaughton, Brown, etc). Not many teams can do that, and it really helps when the star players take a breather and we are putting a much better bench up against anyone else.

I don't care about the number of regular season wins, just want to get to the NBA finals and have a shot.
    Middleton's 51 last night, albeit against one of the worst defensive teams in the league, shows what he is capable of. 16-26 on FGs, 7-10 from beyond the arc and 12-12 from the free throw line. He also had 10 boards and 6 assists. His shooting stroke is so fluid and gets the shot off quickly. Out of the post-up, off the dribble or catch-and-shoot. Middleton gets overlooked as a second option because of his relative lack of athleticism (jumping ability). He is a great compliment to Giannis. He could average in the mid to upper 20's on a team like the Knicks. I think he is an All-Star reserve without much doubt.

DiVincenzo is my most improved player. Along with Giannis and Lopez, Donte is in the top 3 of individual defensive rating. If Bledsoe should struggle deep in the playoffs, there are 2 nice options in Hill and DiVincenzo that can handle defending the opposing team's PG (while being able to shoot).
    Last edited by mufan2003; 01-29-2020 at 02:42 PM.

Marc Lasry wants to go for 70+ and the Larry O'Brien trophy. IMO, that's great as long as you don't play guys (key rotation players) more than you otherwise would if 70 was not a possibility.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...-do-everything

The last month of the schedule is brutal. Could also have a significant lead in the standings for home court advantage at that point. I think it would be a mistake to put 70 wins over championship goals.

Right now the Bucks starters, namely Giannis, are playing less minutes per game than other teams.
    The bench players also seem to have had rotations where they get a night off here and there. One night Korver is in street clothes, then next night Hill, then Connaughton, then Lopez or Divencenzo.

The Bucks have a great record, but don't seem to be burning out anyone to get there. Heck, Giannis has played one game in the last 10 days (Paris trip contributed, but still 1 game in 10 days).
    If we can maintain the lead we have into the All Star break, we will have an 8-10 win lead on everyone else in the east with only 28 games to play. Go 18-10 during that stretch and another team would have to go undefeated to just tie the Bucks. That is crazy

Funny, Toronto has been on a roll winning 9 of their last 10 games. Problem is, so did the Bucks so they gained no ground. Brutal for Toronto.
    Last edited by Goose85; 01-30-2020 at 12:22 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast