Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Season previews

If we play Ed significant minutes at the 4 I have little doubt that he will rebound as good or better then Joey did there.

Last year Ed was an excellent offensive rebounder and a decent defensive rebounder. He was better then Joey in both areas.......now I realize that those numbers may change if he is playing the 4 but Joey was not a great rebounder last season .....especially on the offensive glass where his numbers were poor.

Sam from the 3 spot was very good on the defensive end but like Joey got very few offensive rebounds on a percentage basis.

I would expect our offensive rebounding to be improved this season.......not as sure about the defensive rebounding but I think we will be ok there with Koby now playing significant minutes in the backcourt.

It would help if Sacar increased his numbers although part of his poor numbers may have been scheme related......if he is covering top offensive perimeter threat he is away from the basket most of the time and engaged with his man most possessions.......on offense he seemed to be one of the get back guys when he wasn't attacking.

Quote Originally Posted by Markedman View Post
    If we play Ed significant minutes at the 4 I have little doubt that he will rebound as good or better then Joey did there.

Last year Ed was an excellent offensive rebounder and a decent defensive rebounder. He was better then Joey in both areas.......now I realize that those numbers may change if he is playing the 4 but Joey was not a great rebounder last season .....especially on the offensive glass where his numbers were poor.

Sam from the 3 spot was very good on the defensive end but like Joey got very few offensive rebounds on a percentage basis.

I would expect our offensive rebounding to be improved this season.......not as sure about the defensive rebounding but I think we will be ok there with Koby now playing significant minutes in the backcourt.

It would help if Sacar increased his numbers although part of his poor numbers may have been scheme related......if he is covering top offensive perimeter threat he is away from the basket most of the time and engaged with his man most possessions.......on offense he seemed to be one of the get back guys when he wasn't attacking.
    Joey averaged 5.3 rpg last season. He was more than ok on the defensive boards.

Rebounding percentage is what's important......Joey was poor on offensive rebounds.....3.6%......Bailey was 6.5% for comparison sake.......Ed was 15%.

Joey's defensive rebound percentage was 15.9......about the same as Ed had on the offensive boards. 4 other MU players had about the same or higher def reb percentage as Joey.

He was decent.....JJ had a similar defensive percentage(15.4) as a senior as Joey did last season.

Let's not forget about Jayce here...% wise, he will be the best rebounder on the team by a substantial margin. Jayce's 27.5% Defensive rebounding rate was 23rd in the country last year. He also had a very good offensive rebound % of 14.1 which was 27th in the country. For comparison's sake he would have been the 3rd best Offensive rebounder in the BE last year and the top defensive rebounder(by a substantial margin). He is the ultimate glass cleaner.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexJesswein View Post
    I can kind of understand how Memphis is 50th, but I feel like even if the wheels fell for them, there is no way they finish that low. They have top 10 talent and Penny seems to be pretty competent as a coach (he overachieved last year winning 22 games and finishing 56th in the Pomeroy rankings).

Back to Marquette, I would sign up now to finish 17th in the postseason. It would be a 15 spot improvement over Wojo's best career finish in the Pomeroy rankings and a top 5 finish historically during the Kenpom era.
    #BringShakaHome

Pomeroy's stats primarily come from evaluating the Four Factors. Here's why I think his model predicts a big offensive improvement:

eFG%: Sam was great, Joey was solid. But newcomer Jayce Johnson had a higher eFG% than Sam last year and Koby & Greg had higher eFG% than Joey did in their best seasons. Assuming improvement from the rest of the returning roster, eFG% should largely remain static even if 3PFG% declines a bit.

Turnover Rate: Joey was really bad, Sam was pretty good but not as good as he had been. With more ballhandlers and Markus' history of generally having a lower TO Rate when his usage was lower, this should improve.

Offensive Rebounding: For forwards, the Hausers were really bad offensive rebounders. Jayce, Morrow, and Cain are all excellent offensive rebounders and Bailey is better than either Hauser by far. We will be a much, much, much better offensive rebounding team. I can't stress this enough.

Free Throw Rate: Yes, Sam converted at the line, but he sucked at getting there. Joey was better, but the Hauser shots will likely go to Markus, Koby, Elliott, and Jayce, all of whom are as good or significantly better than Joey was at getting to the line. This number should also improve.

All in all, while our 3PFG% could decline, or eFG% will likely remain about the same while we get better at the remaining four factors.

For a more detailed explanation, I posted this on Cracked Sidewalks today about why Marquette will project better without the Hausers in 2019-20 than with them in 2018-19.

I will note, while I do think this team will be better, they would've been even better with the Hausers. Well, specifically with Sam. Joey was a net neutral at best player, but Sam is a big loss that would positively impact our eFG%, turnover rate, and defensive rebounding.

http://www.crackedsidewalks.com/2019...nking.html?m=1

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast