Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OT M Club Hall of Fame

Chones and Lucas both graduated.
    "He understands Justice under God"--Augustus Cornelius Johnson

Wasn't Wade given an honorary degree?

Also - out of the guys that some say "never should have been here", I still love the fact that DJO & Jimmy Butler have their degrees. DJO took a heavy workload his last year and finished the last summer despite being drafted because Buzz & Aki made him do it as they made a promise to his mom when they recruited him that he would leave MU with a degree. Jimmy came back and finished what he needed while being in the NBA.

To me, that is awesome.

Sometimes it is tough though, what was the deal with Tony Smith? He was an engineering major who left for the NBA while being about a dozen credits shy? Comes back after career is over to finish up and finds that the requirements of the major had changed, and he now needed like 30 plus credits? Something like that.

Also on that front - Aaron Hutchins has had a tough go of it over the years. I know someone contacted me about him a few years ago saying he wanted to come back and if there was anything I could do. I passed it on to anyone who would listen.

A couple of months ago someone on this board hit me up saying they heard he was looking to get involved.

I am happy to report that someone in the know told me that he is back and that the university has been very accommodating helping him get the classes he needs as well as some employment work as he tries to finish up. After this many years - that takes balls, I hope he does it and will pull for him every step of the way.
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

When it comes to Chones & Lucas and Wade.

Back when Chones and Lucas finished up, it wasn't that hard to do it in regards to the campus environment.

Wade on the other hand, I know one summer he was registered for some classes and tried to start but there was no way he could do it. He was mobbed before, during and after every class. People followed him everywhere he went on campus and after 2 days(?) said there was no way it could work. It was a distraction to everyone - him, his teachers and other students who needed to get work done.

I can't even imagine going back after being gone for 20 years.

Pretty unusual for Lazar right? Crean was really good about getting his 4 year guys to graduate. iirc.

Its always the guys that have a shot at NBA. The teams/agents etc need you to start training to prepare for pre-draft workouts, so usually not long after the season ends those guys have got to leave. So, if you hadn't worked ahead, blowing off the last 8 weeks of the semester usually means you have to start those classes over.

I would think that online classes would be more available now for someone like Wade, if he ever decided to finish up. Safe to say, he won't ever need that degree, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Gato78 View Post
    Bob Wolf dicked again. Also, KO, Crean, Wesley, Dominic and JFB. Each of the entrants are deserving but Bob Wolf is not likely to get in in his lifetime. Comparatively, this class is recent grads. Love Lazar but I would think Jimmy and Wesley and Dominic are more deserving.

I'm not sure I agree with this. He was only behind Jerel on the scoring list when he left (now he's also behind Markus), top five in rebounds and I believe tops in total games played. I think Jimmy and Wes have shined more since leaving, and while Dominic is great, I don't think he's at Lazar level of impact. A case could be made that Lazar was our best player between Wade and Jae. The only other player I think is in that discussion is Jerel, and he's already in.

Quote Originally Posted by IWB View Post
    Sometimes it is tough though, what was the deal with Tony Smith? He was an engineering major who left for the NBA while being about a dozen credits shy? Comes back after career is over to finish up and finds that the requirements of the major had changed, and he now needed like 30 plus credits? Something like that.

Schools really don't have a choice with stuff like this. If someone takes more than something like a year off, they have to meet the new requirements for the degree. I am sure they could have pieced togother something that would have given him a bachelor's of some type though. Who knows.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12