Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marquette and UCLA to Play Home and Home Series

Marquette and UCLA to Play Home and Home Series

Its the match'up I have been asking to happen for years. Short series begins in 2020-21.

https://twitter.com/bensteelemjs/sta...555553281?s=21

Nice work Wojo and Mick......schedule is getting better and better.

Wooden must be rolling over in his grave! AL always tried to get a home and home against UCLA and Wooden would not travel to Milwaukee. He was open to playing Marquette - but only in LA, no home and home.
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

What I find most interesting about it is the date next year as that is typically the Saturday MU plays UW.

Quote Originally Posted by MU_Iceman View Post
    What I find most interesting about it is the date next year as that is typically the Saturday MU plays UW.
    The Bucky game is in November this year. Perhaps that will continue as The Big 10 now schedules 2 conference games in early December and Bucky may want to stay away from that date going forward? Also, wonder how the BE will handle it’s 20 game season with UConn coming back in the fold.

Quote Originally Posted by Nukem2 View Post
    The Bucky game is in November this year. Perhaps that will continue as The Big 10 now schedules 2 conference games in early December and Bucky may want to stay away from that date going forward? Also, wonder how the BE will handle it’s 20 game season with UConn coming back in the fold.
    This is what I hope doesn't happen. Idk, I mean in the grand scheme of things, I guess it doesn't really matter, but don't want to see them start playing in November regularly. I need some time to get my legs under me after the season starts before I start stressing/worrying about the UW game. If it's in November, it doesn't really allow for that.

Great to see a really good home and home. Maybe UCLA thinks that might help them get Baldwin or Foster (who is now in AZ).

I like how they got this out there so early. Might help a bit with some west coast recruits, knowing that they will have a chance to play in front of family and friends and play in an iconic stadium.

I talked to Mike Broeker on Twitter and via email today. A few things...

• This does NOT mean UW-Madison is going away as I suspected might happen. He said Marquette plans that to continue for a "long, long time."
    • This does mean a commitment to a stronger schedule. UW-Madison, UCLA, Gavitt, and Big 12, along with an exempt tourney means a lot of quality on the non-con slate.
    • Broeker said the expectation is that exempt tournaments will soon allow 2 or 3 games rather than the current 4. My guess from his response is 3 games for events like Maui, Atlantis, and AdvoCare, and other events like the 2K Classic will guarantee 2 and some teams will get a 3rd campus game.
    • Numbers wise, this means a max 11-game non-con schedule, 3 in the exempt tournament, which leaves 8 games that can be scheduled by the schools. For Marquette, that will usually mean 4 buy games with the maximum number of buy quality games being 6 (assuming we schedule 4, get a campus game, and have to schedule another if we don't get a Gavitt Game.
    • Bottom line, adding UConn is huge. Bigger than most people were expecting would be the case when 20-game conference schedules were announced.

Well, Marquette is playing at UCLA on a Saturday. You better dam hope Marquette is playing UCLA on a Saturday in Fiserv Forum.
    March Madness starts in November

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast