Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Free Agency

Kawhi to the Clippers, and Paul George. I really thought it would be the Lakers or Toronto. I think it's good for the league that he didn't go to the Lakers.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...rs/1663575001/

Quote Originally Posted by Goose85 View Post
    You can't keep everyone. When you factor in the cost of Brogdon, being able to bring back Hill and then adding Wes on a min wage deal, I think that combo can make up for the loss of Brogdon.
    To the contrary, they could have kept everyone it just would have vaulted them into the luxury tax threshold to do so (which they said they were willing to do). As for the rest of your post, they already had Hill so Hill will be replacing his own production which by default leaves us to Wes replacing Brogdon's production. Personally, I really don't think Wes is going to see the court much and believe if anyone is going to replace MB's production, it will be from one or both of DiVincenzo or Sterling Brown stepping up.

Quote Originally Posted by AbovetheRim View Post
    To the contrary, they could have kept everyone it just would have vaulted them into the luxury tax threshold to do so (which they said they were willing to do). As for the rest of your post, they already had Hill so Hill will be replacing his own production which by default leaves us to Wes replacing Brogdon's production. Personally, I really don't think Wes is going to see the court much and believe if anyone is going to replace MB's production, it will be from one or both of DiVincenzo or Sterling Brown stepping up.
    I tend to agree with Goose on this. Do you think they should have kept Brogdon at over $21 mil/year with him being somewhat injury prone? I think you are overstating Brogdon's defensive ability. Are you saying Hill playing some extra minutes( if he plays at the level he did in the playoffs) will not be adequate? Imo, DD certainly could elevate his game but SB is much more likely to be the guy that doesn't see the court much.

Wesley played a pretty important role for the Pacers at the end of last season. I think he will have a similar role with the Bucks. Could well be there best defensive guard.

Quote Originally Posted by MUAlphaBangura View Post
    I tend to agree with Goose on this. Do you think they should have kept Brogdon at over $21 mil/year with him being somewhat injury prone? I think you are overstating Brogdon's defensive ability. Are you saying Hill playing some extra minutes( if he plays at the level he did in the playoffs) will not be adequate? Imo, DD certainly could elevate his game but SB is much more likely to be the guy that doesn't see the court much.

Wesley played a pretty important role for the Pacers at the end of last season. I think he will have a similar role with the Bucks. Could well be there best defensive guard.
    Pretty important role? The only objective factor, the numbers, absolutely destroy your argument but here goes. Wes had a PER of 10.37 last year and a VA of -1.5 while Sterling Brown had a PER of 10.93 and a VA of 6.7. Wes shot 9-30 in the playoffs last year and had the lowest PER of any SG averaging 25MPG or more in the league in the entire 2019 playoffs. SB started playoff games in Brogdon's absence all while DD was proving every chance he was given that he couldn't shoot all year long so I think it's a moot point that SB at a minimum begins the year ahead of DD on the depth chart. This and you're saying 33 year old George Hill's production is going to go up with additional minutes? Since when do 30+ year old, non superstar players get better with more minutes in the NBA? Not many NBA insiders would argue with me that Brogdon's D and is solidly above average and much better than an about to be 33 year old, declining Wes Matthews' D.

Step away from the MU connection and you'll realize this was a depth move, not a move for Wes to play big minutes and the fact that he signed for the league minimum seems to validate that point. Zero risk for the Bucks and if he's fallen off the cliff by the time training camp rolls around, very easy to move on.

Quote Originally Posted by AbovetheRim View Post
    Pretty important role? The only objective factor, the numbers, absolutely destroy your argument but here goes. Wes had a PER of 10.37 last year and a VA of -1.5 while Sterling Brown had a PER of 10.93 and a VA of 6.7. Wes shot 9-30 in the playoffs last year and had the lowest PER of any SG averaging 25MPG or more in the league in the entire 2019 playoffs. SB started playoff games in Brogdon's absence all while DD was proving every chance he was given that he couldn't shoot all year long so I think it's a moot point that SB at a minimum begins the year ahead of DD on the depth chart. This and you're saying 33 year old George Hill's production is going to go up with additional minutes? Since when do 30+ year old, non superstar players get better with more minutes in the NBA? Not many NBA insiders would argue with me that Brogdon's D and is solidly above average and much better than an about to be 33 year old, declining Wes Matthews' D.

Step away from the MU connection and you'll realize this was a depth move, not a move for Wes to play big minutes and the fact that he signed for the league minimum seems to validate that point. Zero risk for the Bucks and if he's fallen off the cliff by the time training camp rolls around, very easy to move on.
    I think Brogdan, with his injury history, made $21 mil for four years a tough contract. I actually think the key to that trade was getting some draft picks. The Bucks have no first and no second rounder next year and I think no second the following year. By adding some draft picks they also added some flexibility in trade chips.

Bucks owners likely don't want to pay the luxury tax, so move Brogdan and in his spot play Hill and Wes / get 3 draft picks, and in that grouping you save $10 mil per year.

One wanted to stay, one didn't jive with the coach and wanted out. So Bled got his contract and Brogdon was gonna walk. The fact that they got 3 picks out of it was incredible.

Two very telling quotes from his presser in Indy:

“It’s an organization where I immediately feel extremely valued."

“I think point guard is my best position; not even having the ball in my hands, it’s just about being able to make decisions, being able to influence what happens on the floor, and bring guys together and lead them to win.”

Oklahoma City Thunder have agreed to trade Russell Westbrook to the Houston Rockets for Chris Paul, first-round picks in 2024 and 2026, pick swaps in 2021 and 2025.

OKC has acquired EIGHT first-round picks since draft night: 2020: Denver (1-10), 2021: Miami; 2022: LAC; 2023: Miami (1-14), 2024: LAC; 2024: Houston (1-14); 2026: LAC; 2026: Houston (1-4).
    March Madness starts in November

Quote Originally Posted by MU/Panther View Post
    Oklahoma City Thunder have agreed to trade Russell Westbrook to the Houston Rockets for Chris Paul, first-round picks in 2024 and 2026, pick swaps in 2021 and 2025.

OKC has acquired EIGHT first-round picks since draft night: 2020: Denver (1-10), 2021: Miami; 2022: LAC; 2023: Miami (1-14), 2024: LAC; 2024: Houston (1-14); 2026: LAC; 2026: Houston (1-4).
    Upon hearing of this trade news, the NBA Rules Committee immediately announced that games will now be played with two basketballs instead of one.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast