Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bucks Season So Far

Bucks Season So Far

So here we are roughly 1/3 of the way through the NBA season and the Bucks 19-9 record and all of the advanced metrics would lead you to believe that the Bucks season so far has been massive success, and for the most part it has. They are #1 in Net efficiency thanks to the #3 Offensive Rating, and #4 Defensive Rating. They lead the league in point differential, and are on pace to win 56 or 57 games. yet as a Bucks fan I still have great concern about this team and do not think they are the contender that the metrics would lead you to believe they are. Since starting 7-0 they have gone 12-9 in games since with some bad losses to some clearly inferior teams. Yes, Middleton has been in a extended slump, and the team is still learning the new scheme, and maybe it is my Bucks PTSD from all the years of being awful or losing, but something has me just not trusting them quite yet.

Anyone else here with me? Or do I just need to get over it and accept that the Bucks are elite?
    Last edited by MKE_GoldenEagleFan; 12-18-2018 at 09:23 AM.
    The artist formerly known as "the sitting MU coach for president"

Good points. I think the Bucks are a contender to win the East (along with Toronto, Boston, Philly and Indiana), nobody is head and shoulders above anyone else. Although, I still have Boston winning the East when all is said and done. To win it all, Golden State is still the clear favorite to me. It is easy to doubt the Bucks, given the years of mediocrity that this franchise has experienced. However, during all those years, they never had a 24-year-old, legitimate MVP candidate. A player that is 6'11" with a 7'2" wingspan that can handle like a PG. They have finally put shooters around Giannis (even at the center position). A legitimate coach (finally) and a center (Lopez) with size/strength in the post, whereas in years past it was Henson and Maker.

One positive, with the 19-9 record, the Bucks have already played many of the tougher teams in the league: Golden State (2x), Toronto (2x), Denver (2x), @Clippers, @Boston, Portland (2x). Yes, there were hiccups at New York and against Phoenix. However, all teams have bad losses in a season, keeping them to a minimum is the key. The Bucks have done that so far.

Many pro teams go through slumps. The Celtics were 10-10 at one point, now are 8-1 in their last 9 games. Even the Brewers slumped in August, before turning it on with a great September. The key now, in staying motivated against bad teams, is keeping home-court advantage in mind. The top 5 teams in the East, imo the contenders, are all within 2 games (loss column) of each other. The Bucks are 2-0 against Toronto, 1-1 against Indiana, 1-0 against Philly and 0-1 against Boston. Hopefully, the worst case scenario is the #4 seed with the optimal scenario being the #1 or #2 seed.

When I look at the east, I think the Bucks are as good, or can be as dangerous, as any team. Keep a top two seed and it will be interesting. I've looked at the same thing MUFan2003 has, we are done with GS, Denver and Portland. Normally tough west coast games for the Bucks.

Well rounded team for the most part. Need Middleton and Bledsoe play like they are looking for contracts, Brogdan to keep hitting 3's, etc. If Giannis is healthy, no reason we can't make a deep playoff run with this group.

I can just imagine that live block area and think how much fun it would be to see crowds of people there for playoff basketball games.

I think my overall nervousness revolves around Boston and Toronto. If Boston continues to grow together they will be scary, and despite their early season struggles, they are getting it together now. Toronto has been pretty solid so far, and they will be even better when Lowry shakes off his funk. I do believe the Bucks are the third best team though because I think Philly is fundamentally flawed, and Indiana is a solid team, but not great. I think depending how the playoff bracket breaks out the Bucks could make the Eastern Conference finals, but still think they are a player or two away from representing the East in the finals.

Quote Originally Posted by MKE_GoldenEagleFan View Post
    I think my overall nervousness revolves around Boston and Toronto.
    Important game at Boston tonight. Only 3 against Boston during the regular season. Already 0-1 in the series, with tonight and a home game in February remaining. Bucks have lost 5 straight at TD Garden (going back to last year's playoffs). Having the tiebreaker could end up being important. Horford has been out the past 6 games, is day-to-day, would not surprise me if he played tonight.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2...annis-brooding
    Last edited by mufan2003; 12-21-2018 at 02:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MUFAN2003 View Post
    Important game at Boston tonight. Only 3 against Boston during the regular season. Already 0-1 in the series, with tonight and a home game in February remaining. Bucks have lost 5 straight at TD Garden (going back to last year's playoffs). Having the tiebreaker could end up being important. Horford has been out the past 6 games, is day-to-day, would not surprise me if he played tonight.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2...annis-brooding
    Definitely a nice win tonight even if Horford, Baynes, and Morris were all out. The Bucks bench has been very impressive.

Giannis with another triple-double against Brooklyn. 31pts (2 of 3 beyond the arc), 10 boards and 10 assists.

I'm biased, but up to this point, he's the MVP of the league. Bucks now an impressive 25-10. Exceeding even my optimistic expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by MUFAN2003 View Post
    Giannis with another triple-double against Brooklyn. 31pts (2 of 3 beyond the arc), 10 boards and 10 assists.

I'm biased, but up to this point, he's the MVP of the league. Bucks now an impressive 25-10. Exceeding even my optimistic expectations.
    Milwaukee hasn't had a player like Giannis since Kareem. Giannis is the type player that you should see live, as he is the kind of player you want to be able to say you saw in person.

This Bucks team is fun to watch, and plays a style of ball that is also watchable. I am enjoying the Bucks ride, and really hope they keep it going and win a playoff series and have that live block rocking through April and May.

Bucks with the best record in the NBA with 44% of the season in the books.
    Take care of Atlanta on Friday, and look for a great crowd at the FF on Saturday for Toronto.

I guess my concern was unfounded. I still don't feel like they are a legitimate title contender just yet, if I were making a list of teams that I don't think we could beat in a 7 game series I would put Golden State, Toronto, and Boston in that group. Outside of that, I think the Bucks have a 50/50 or better shot, but for whatever reason Boston gives us fits whenever we play them and they are healthy, and Toronto is tough.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast