Thread: Dwayne Killings Named Assistant Coach

Dwayne Killings Named Assistant Coach

Marquette Press Release from Scott Kuykendall

April 12, 2018
    For Immediate Release

Dwayne Killings Named Assistant Coach At Marquette
    Veteran assistant owns stops at Boston, Temple & UConn

Milwaukee –
    The Marquette University men’s basketball program has added Dwayne Killings to its staff as an assistant coach, head coach Steve Wojciechowski announced Thursday afternoon.

Killings arrives on campus after spending the last two seasons (2016-18) at the University of Connecticut as an assistant coach, which followed a five-year stint in the same position at Temple University. He owns a wealth of basketball experience at every level, ranging from high school and AAU to the National Basketball Association.

“I would like to welcome Dwayne and his family to the Marquette men’s basketball family,” Wojciechowski said. “Dwayne is one of the top young assistants in the country and came highly recommended by people I respect at the high school, college and NBA levels.

“He is a great addition who will add tremendous value to our players, staff and program as a whole,” Wojciechowski added. “This is an exciting time for our program.”

After graduating from Hampton University in 2003 with a degree in sports management, his first job was as a special assistant with the NBA’s Charlotte Bobcats, where he served as video coordinator and helped with player development. After three years in Charlotte, Killings became Temple’s assistant director of men’s basketball operations, a position he held for three seasons.

Killings moved on the NBA D-League, where his responsibilities included monitoring player development programs. From there, he accepted his first collegiate coaching position, joining the staff at Boston University for the 2010-11 season, helping the Terriers capture the America East Championship and a NCAA tournament berth.

“I couldn’t be happier to join the Marquette family, Killings said. During my visit to campus, I was blown away by the people, the culture Coach Wojo has created and the commitment to excellence by everyone connected to the program. I can’t wait to join the family and start working toward chasing all of our dreams and goals.”

In 2011-12, Killings returned to Temple as an assistant coach. In his five seasons with the Owls, he gained a reputation as a national recruiter, helping the Owls compile an 104-63 overall record, winning regular-season conference titles in both the Atlantic 10 and the American, and making four postseason appearances, three in the NCAA tournament and one to the NIT semifinals.

Killings was recently named to the NCAA Division I Men’s Basketball Ethics Coalition and begins his two-year term in May of 2018. The role of the coalition is to promote ethical conduct among NCAA Division I men's basketball coaches through education, leadership and mentoring. He is also on the board of directors for TRIAD Trust, which identifies and trains local leaders to create sustainable HIV and Life Skills Education programs in regions of the world with the highest prevalence of the infection.

A native of Amherst, Massachusetts, Killings and his wife, Ana, are parents of Alecia and Tristan.
    Last edited by IWB; 04-12-2018 at 01:37 PM.
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

And your thoughts on this? ;-)

I think its a good hire but don't have a history with him so will have to wait and see. Looking at the UConn boards he wasn't there long enough to give them a good feel for his abilities.

With Stan Johnson having such strong ties to the Southwest, Brett Nelson having strong ties to the Southeast, having a guy that has spent most of his career in the Northeast should help recruiting efforts in that part of the country. I hear he is a defensive minded coach which is what many were hoping for so it should make the program stronger.

Oh, and his name strikes fear into all those who oppose him.

Is his name miss-spelled on the subject line on purpose?

Yep.

WaS it wise to hire a guy who doesn't even know how to spell Dwyane correctly?
    "I'll say it again...Dwyane Wade is the 3rd best SG of all-time...right behind Jordan and Bryant." - Mark Jackson