Thread: Note to anxious Marquette fans

Note to anxious Marquette fans

Porter Moser had a losing record in four of his first five seasons at Loyola. Now he’s bringing his Ramblers to the Final Four. Loyola's administration showed patience letting him build the program. Moser is a Rick Majerus disciple.

Yep. Patience here. Looking forward to these next couple years. Now let’s get that PG and build guard depth!

I agree on patience but this is an apples to oranges comparison

Apples, oranges or in the case of some Marquette fans -- bananas. For many programs it takes a number of factors to align to develop a top tier program. Institutional support, in Marquette's case -- check.

Lack of serious injuries to key players -- attractiveness of school in comparison to other institutions -- are there top recruits in the school's natural sphere of influence or appeal or in the coaching staff's contact areas -- can the coaching staff bring a bunch of teenagers/young 20 year old players together as a team.

And then there's the luck factor. To be honest it's never apples and oranges.

Expectations are so much lower there it’s much easier to be patient is all I mean.

When I was covering Virginia basketball in another century there was a young coach there who dreamed of being the head coach at Marquette. He finally got his shot at a head coaching gig but it was at a mid-major where he was slightly above average and moved on to another mid-major -- George Mason University. He got that team to the Final Four in the twilight of what he thought would be the end stop in his coaching career. That Final Four got him a high major head coaching job at Miami. The journey is the reward. I enjoy watching the journey and seeing the ebb and flow of things.

Marquette has the right man in Wojo. Remember back in 1977 the Marquette team and coach were booed during the final home game at the Milwaukee Arena.

On the other end of things Chris Beard took Texas Tech to the E8 his 2nd year. Apples and oranges indeed.