Thread: Oregon game

Oregon game

As many of you know I have relocated to Eugene for my retirement. That’s given me an opportunity to watch a lot of Oregon basketball games. I was courtside for the Ducks NIT match up with Rider. Based on what I saw in that game and the others that I’ve watched this season at Matthew Knight Arena and on the tube, this is what I think you’ll see in the game Sunday afternoon.

Expect the Ducks to full court press the entire game rotating fresh bodies in throughout the contest. Rowsey and Howard will be dealing with a lot of length all afternoon. Marquette needs to have a whole team effort to break the press and move the ball on offense. Oregon is healthier and more athletic than Marquette. The Achilles Heal may be youth and the inside play. The Golden Eagles have more beef. Rider lead throughout their game earlier this week fading in the final five minutes. Up to that point Rider moved the ball well and scored inside easily. The press and turnovers did them in.

The Ducks have only one true point guard in Payton Pritchard and the team relies on individual athleticism when he’s not in the mix. There are several freshmen who can get hot from 3-point range. In the Rider game Victor Bailey Jr. came off the bench and broke the game open with his shooting. He’s 6-4 with a quick release. As long as we’re talking about the backcourt – 6-6 freshman Abu Kigab doesn’t get a lot of minutes but is a defensive pain in the a#$ who will try to play mind games especially with Rowsey.

In the front court – freshman Troy Brown has the potential to become an Earl Tatum level player. 6-9 freshman Kenny Wooten will have a heck of a future. I just hope the future doesn’t start in Milwaukee on Sunday. MiKyle McIntosh, grad transfer, is the Ducks version of what we all hope Ed Morrow becomes for the Golden Eagles next season. Georgetown transfer Paul White starts and has a reliable outside shot, he doesn’t like to mix it up inside and seems to play soft at times.

I want Marquette to win this game but feel the size, depth and athletic match-up is not favorable. The fact that this is a road game may help the Eagles. Maybe it will come down to which Ducks’ team shows up – they have been more up and down than Marquette this season.

Mu is favored by 5 pts