Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looks like Crean to Georgia per....

Back to TC - there is so much talent in the Atlanta area, wonder how long it will take him to build recruiting relationships there? Could be a great situation if he can lock up the Atlanta area.

I am not sure if it is still the case, but one thing he told me about his now direct competition in Georgia Tech back when the Shumpert thing was going on was that none of their players graduate.

The basis of their engineering programs are 6 years, so most of the guys leave when their eligibility is up, yet with the school they are still on track to graduate. He even mentioned a previous player's mom, Bynum maybe? Said 'someone should interview her for an article. She'll talk to anybody about how they used her son, he was there for four years and isn't anywhere near being close to a degree.'
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ganzer, "IWB" View Post
    Back to TC - there is so much talent in the Atlanta area, wonder how long it will take him to build recruiting relationships there? Could be a great situation if he can lock up the Atlanta area.

I am not sure if it is still the case, but one thing he told me about his now direct competition in Georgia Tech back when the Shumpert thing was going on was that none of their players graduate.

The basis of their engineering programs are 6 years, so most of the guys leave when their eligibility is up, yet with the school they are still on track to graduate. He even mentioned a previous player's mom, Bynum maybe? Said 'someone should interview her for an article. She'll talk to anybody about how they used her son, he was there for four years and isn't anywhere near being close to a degree.'
    Trust me, like all schools, Tech has some "jock majors" that don't involve anything with their outstanding engineering programs.

I'm sure they do. But when a jock is interested in engineering and they feed his desire during the recruitment, they don't follow through when he is there, especially when he is done playing ball.
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

Be interested how that went with Lammers. I recall the engineering program being part of the reason he chose Georgia Tech. Too bad, he would've been immense for us.

Quote Originally Posted by IrwinFletcher View Post
    Just seems like a weird fit. Hope he does well.
    As a Southerner, I was surprised at this. While some non locals have succeeded, it is a harder path. Crean isn't the type to be embraced by the locals. Not so much the fans. but the high school coaches and networks that he will need.
    Not saying it is impossible, but as a Yankee, he will have a harder climb.
    "I'll say it again...Dwyane Wade is the 3rd best SG of all-time...right behind Jordan and Bryant." - Mark Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by pbiflyer View Post
    As a Southerner, I was surprised at this. While some non locals have succeeded, it is a harder path. Crean isn't the type to be embraced by the locals. Not so much the fans. but the high school coaches and networks that he will need.
    Not saying it is impossible, but as a Yankee, he will have a harder climb.
    I get what you are saying pbiflyer about the local coaches. Just curious, is that the case in Atlanta too? Atlanta seems to have a ton of transplants.

I’m rooting for Coach Crean to do really well there.

Quote Originally Posted by Mucrisco View Post
    I think we all do other than 4everwarriors over at Scoop.

Quote Originally Posted by Mucrisco View Post
    I too root for Crean. He really put MU in great position so I am grateful for what he did here and being in the Big East.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12