Thread: Lenten PSA...

Lenten PSA...

I was checking out my news feed this morning and I saw a story on last Friday being one of the worst sales days in McDonald's history.

Start rant.

Geez McDonald's, do you wonder WHY your sales were so freaking low? The article mentioned that it is Lent and Catholics don't eat meat on Fridays. Yep - I'm Catholic and we don't eat meat on Fridays. And... we don't like getting your Filet O Fishes jammed up our asses either.

This year like many years I gave up fast food for Lent. The one dispensation I give myself is Filet O Fish on Fridays. I remember back in college when Boffo & I headed off to McDonald's for the $ .99 Filet O Fish Lenten Special. (Boffo is now one of the top people for CDW). Back then they were served in that blue styrofoam. By the time we were done we couldn't see each other across the table as the mountain of blue foam between us was too high.

Fast forward several, several years the Filet O Fish went up in price, for Lent they were "2 for $2.22". Catchy numbers, easy to remember, get me some Filet O Fish!

Well the price continued to climb and last year in Milwaukee the Filet O Fish Lenten deal was 2 for $5. Wow, but ok.

This year when Lent started I was in Sioux City Iowa. Signs all over town, "McDonald's Filet O Fish 2 for $5". When I got back to Milwaukee and Friday hit I went to McDonald's, but I didn't see any signs in the windows. Surely with all of the billboards in Sioux City there had to be a Lenten 2 for $5 deal right? So I waited in line and when it was my turn - "Do you have a Filet O Fish special?" The girl came back on the intercom and said very matter of factly, "NOPE!" I drove on through.

You see, McDonald's now views that crappy little piece of carp with a 1/2 slice of cheese a "premium sandwich". Seriously, $4.19? Nothing I can eat four of in 5 minutes should be $4.19. So two little Filet O Fish is pushing $9? Get bent.

So the following Friday I stopped at Arby's where I saw their "2 for $5 Fish sandwich" signs. I got two. Man, you better be hungry if you think you are putting down two of those. For a guy like me to stop after one? Damn - those are serious sandwiches!

So McDonald's, if you are really wonder why your sales sucked on Friday go ahead and blame Catholics all you want, but it isn't because we don't eat meat on Friday, it's because you're too stupid to think Catholics will buy your Filet O Carp no matter how much you charge. Lesson learned!

End rant, and this Friday check out Arby's 2 for $5 fish sandwich, you'll be pleased.
    Last edited by IWB; 03-05-2018 at 09:54 AM.
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

I have done the same on Friday’s even though I hate McD’s fish sandwich. So this year I went to Culver’s. Holy smokes it was good. Good enough that I would order it any time of the year. Highly recommended.

Have not had their sandwich, but have had the Culver's Fish Fry and it is really really good.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ganzer, "IWB" View Post
    Have not had their sandwich, but have had the Culver's Fish Fry and it is really really good.
    The answer we are all waiting to have answered is did you get the regular or the nashville hot version?

https://arbys.com/our-menu/fish/crispy-fish

1 and 1.

Just sold my McDonald's stock.......when they've lost IWB no way they make any money......

Quote Originally Posted by IrwinFletcher View Post
    I have done the same on Friday’s even though I hate McD’s fish sandwich. So this year I went to Culver’s. Holy smokes it was good. Good enough that I would order it any time of the year. Highly recommended.
    The Culvers fish sandwich is better then anything they do there, including their burger.