Thread: Remarkable!

Remarkable!

It's been 15 years since an MU player averaged at least 20.0 ppg. In 2002-'03 Wade averaged 21.6 ppg. Jerel came close his senior year (19.8 ppg) as did Travis his senior year (also 19.8).

This year Markus is averaging 20.9 ppg as an 18-year old sophomore.

But not only that, Rowsey is averaging 19.9 ppg and could also end the season averaging 20.0 ppg or higher.

The last 20.0-plus scorer at MU prior to Wade was Tony Smith in 1989-90, more than a quarter century ago.

And prior to Smith it was Dean the Dream in 1970-'71, almost 50 years ago.

As far as I can tell, MU has never had two players average at least 20.0 ppg in the same season. But it could very well happen this year.

That would be REMARKABLE!

On top of that, Sam is averaging 15.1 ppg...!

It is very likely that Markus Howard will be the all time leading scorer in MU history if he stays all 4 years.
    The artist formerly known as "the sitting MU coach for president"

That is exactly what Traci Carter predicted on his way out of town.

Of course, Markus has to stay healthy.

Outside of Wade, I don't think we've had anyone score over 1,000 points his first two years at MU, and MH is already over 1,000.

Think about it this way.....if Markus had stayed in his class and not graduated early.....he could have had this season as a true freshman........

I remember talking to George Thompson about the scoring record when Jerel broke it. I told him I thought it was a jinx...

Jerel McNeal- 1985 Points
    Lazar Hayward- 1859 Points
    George Thompson- 1773 Points
    Dominic James- 1749 Points - averaging 11.9 ppg before injury. If he stayed healthy, plays 8 or more games? He breaks George's record.
    Butch Lee- 1735 Points - averaging 17.7 senior year, had Peter Pavia not boned MU, two more games he could have broken it.
    Travis Diener- 1691 Points - averaging 19.7 before injury. If he stayed healthy, plays 5 more games? he breaks George's record.
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

I was looking at Travis's career numbers on Pomeroy today. Man I don't think I appreciated how good he really was.

His offensive rating was 131 as a frosh. Almost 117 as a Sophmore. Junior year 124.5.....Senior year 126.6.

Now his usage as as frosh was obviously low only 15 %......but as a junior and senior he was a high usage guy. 27% and 30%. It's not easy to have efficiency numbers that high with go to guy usage.

He also lead the country in assist rate as a senior at over 53%! He was 4th as a junior at 42%.

He did all of that while still keeping his turnovers in check at 15%.

Kind of interesting that his Sophmore year was statistically his worst although still very good......obviously that was our final 4 season.