Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Jabari Parker

Unless they get their sh*t together and hire an actual GM, we're rapidly approaching "do we have to trade Giannis?" territory.

I can easily see a scenario where in the last year of his contract, the Bucks haven't progressed, and they have to make a decision.

Ill be honest, I really like what the Bucks did this offseason, they had limited cap space so it wasnt like they were going to go out and make a splashy signing, but Lopez and Ersan are solid contributors that shoot well for their positions. Letting Jabari walk was a very smart idea because even when he is healthy he isn't a winning type player, he doesn't play defense, and doesn't even really seem to care to try. I think the Bucks can realistically win 50+ games this season (assuming no major injuries to Giannis).

I firmly believe they are on the right track, unfortunately you have to have realistic expectations, if your expectation is to be a title contender then 29 other teams may as well trade their stars too. Unfortunately the NBA is going to be a foregone conclusion with Golden State until that gets broken up. however right now they are lining up to have cap space in a few years and potentially make a run at another star to pair with Giannis (this won't be easy). To me as long as they communicate the plan to Giannis and he is on board I think Giannis will stay and give them some time.

I also think that Budenholzer was a great signing and will make a bigger difference than people think.
    The artist formerly known as "the sitting MU coach for president"

I thought the Bucks bungled the GM situation a year ago. I would have extended Hammond (kept Horst in his position at the time). That being said, I am willing to give Horst the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise. He has been on the job for one year. I am very happy with the hiring of Budenholzer. I wanted him from the beginning of the search process. IMO, easily the best coach since George Karl.

For me, as it relates to Giannis, July of 2020 is when my worrying would begin (if at all). At that time, the Bucks will be able to offer a contract extension to Giannis. If he declines (like Jimmy Butler did this summer) and wants to become an unrestricted free agent in the summer of 2021, then the worrying begins.

With a diluted Eastern Conference, the Bucks could be due for a strong upcoming season. That being said, the focus should be on bringing in another marquee free agent in 2019 (preferably) or 2020. If it were me, I would target Jimmy Butler. Sign him first, and then you can exceed the cap (Bird Rights) to re-sign Middleton and Brogdon. I would look to deal Bledsoe before the trade deadline of the upcoming season.
    Last edited by mufan2003; 07-20-2018 at 02:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MUFAN2003 View Post
    I thought the Bucks bungled the GM situation a year ago. I would have extended Hammond (kept Horst in his position at the time). That being said, I am willing to give Horst the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise. He has been on the job for one year. I am very happy with the hiring of Budenholzer. I wanted him from the beginning of the search process. IMO, easily the best coach since George Karl.

For me, as it relates to Giannis, July of 2020 is when my worrying would begin (if at all). At that time, the Bucks will be able to offer a contract extension to Giannis. If he declines (like Jimmy Butler did this summer) and wants to become an unrestricted free agent in the summer of 2021, then the worrying begins.

With a diluted Eastern Conference, the Bucks could be due for a strong upcoming season. That being said, the focus should be on bringing in another marquee free agent in 2019 (preferably) or 2020. If it were me, I would target Jimmy Butler. Sign him first, and then you can exceed the cap (Bird Rights) to re-sign Middleton and Brogdon. I would look to deal Bledsoe before the trade deadline of the upcoming season.
    I'm with you on getting a deal with Butler. I'd think he might be open to it as well.

Brogdan, Butler, Middleton, and Giannis is a pretty good core group of four players. That group is also four players that can play both O and D which is really important come playoff time.

Here's an early look at the potential group of 2019 Free Agents:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-agents#slide0

Here's an early look at the potential group of 2019 Free Agents:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-agents#slide0
    Looking at that group, Jimmy Butler is one player that I think we might have a shot at landing. If the Celtics don't want Horford back, he too would be nice but I'm not sure we would have money for anyone other than a guy like Butler, and then resign Middleton.

I also am willing to give Horst the benefit of the doubt. If you really think about it, what did Hammond do other than draft Giannis. You could make a case that every one of his draft picks outside of Giannis was a bust. He signed a bunch of bad deals with guys like Henson, Delly and Plumlee. He traded for MCW. I will say that I think the worst coach in the history of the NBA, Jason Kidd, had a lot to do with some of those moves.

Quote Originally Posted by mufansince72 View Post
    I also am willing to give Horst the benefit of the doubt. If you really think about it, what did Hammond do other than draft Giannis. You could make a case that every one of his draft picks outside of Giannis was a bust. He signed a bunch of bad deals with guys like Henson, Delly and Plumlee. He traded for MCW. I will say that I think the worst coach in the history of the NBA, Jason Kidd, had a lot to do with some of those moves.
    Jason Kidd, and he being the pick of the owners didn't help Hammond much.
    Parker was a good pick, it's not like he came in with chronic knee injuries. Giannis, Brodgdan, Maker, trade for Middleton. I thought Hammond did a pretty decent job at setting this team up.
    Signed Delly when they needed a pack up point (before Brogdan). Teletovic was the outside shooter we needed. Picked up MCW for Kidd, then was able to get Snell for him.

Overall I think Hammond did a good job (mostly because I think Kidd and the owners meddled more than Kohl).

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234