Thread: Jamil Wilson

Jamil Wilson

Congrats to Jamil Wilson who hit two threes last night scoring six points for the Clippers.
    I think the six points he scored in the game last night were his first NBA points scored. Grabbed a rebound as well in just under five minutes of play.

Another good performance by Jamil in a blowout loss. Getting some time, now see if he can crack the rotation a bit and get some meaningful minutes.

Happy for him but have to say I am a bit surprised at his success.

Jamil started again last night in the Clippers win over Orlando. Played 22 minutes and scored 9 points.
    At what point does the two way contract (I thought that is what he signed) convert to a guaranteed NBA contract? For some reason I thought there were limits on how long players on two way contracts could used in NBA games with two way contract pay.

Either way, looks like he is making the most of his opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by Goose85 View Post
    Jamil started again last night in the Clippers win over Orlando. Played 22 minutes and scored 9 points.
    At what point does the two way contract (I thought that is what he signed) convert to a guaranteed NBA contract? For some reason I thought there were limits on how long players on two way contracts could used in NBA games with two way contract pay.

Either way, looks like he is making the most of his opportunity.

• They will act as a 16th and 17th roster spot for NBA teams beginning next season (2017-18).
    • The player can spend up to 45 days with the NBA team that signs him, although no time is guaranteed.
    • The rest of the player’s contract must be spent in the G-League, either for the team’s affiliate or another’s if the team he signs with doesn’t have a G-League affiliate yet. For the 2017-18 season, the G-League will represent 26 of the NBA’s 30 teams.
    • The player’s pay comes on a tiered salary system, which can last one or two seasons. While in the G-League, the player will make $75,000. It’s a significant increase from the current pay structure for G-Leaguers, who cannot make more than $26,000 with a one-way G-League deal.
    • When in the NBA, a player with a two-way contract will accrue a day of service and make money consistent with an NBA rookie minimum, which is about $816,000 next season. If a player spends 45 days in the NBA, he could make around $204,000.
    • In total, a two-way player who spends the maximum amount of time in the NBA would make $279,000.
    "I'll say it again...Dwyane Wade is the 3rd best SG of all-time...right behind Jordan and Bryant." - Mark Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by pbiflyer View Post
    • They will act as a 16th and 17th roster spot for NBA teams beginning next season (2017-18).
    • The player can spend up to 45 days with the NBA team that signs him, although no time is guaranteed.
    • The rest of the player’s contract must be spent in the G-League, either for the team’s affiliate or another’s if the team he signs with doesn’t have a G-League affiliate yet. For the 2017-18 season, the G-League will represent 26 of the NBA’s 30 teams.
    • The player’s pay comes on a tiered salary system, which can last one or two seasons. While in the G-League, the player will make $75,000. It’s a significant increase from the current pay structure for G-Leaguers, who cannot make more than $26,000 with a one-way G-League deal.
    • When in the NBA, a player with a two-way contract will accrue a day of service and make money consistent with an NBA rookie minimum, which is about $816,000 next season. If a player spends 45 days in the NBA, he could make around $204,000.
    • In total, a two-way player who spends the maximum amount of time in the NBA would make $279,000.
    So what happens if the player plays well enough they want to keep him on the NBA team? They still have to send him back down no matter what? Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but this doesn't make any sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Djgoldnboy View Post
    So what happens if the player plays well enough they want to keep him on the NBA team? They still have to send him back down no matter what? Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but this doesn't make any sense to me.
    Since they are the 16th/17th players on the team, I suspect they could sign them to a regular contract, but that would mean trading/waiving/buying out one of the regular roster players. I suspect not all teams are in a position to do that.
    "I'll say it again...Dwyane Wade is the 3rd best SG of all-time...right behind Jordan and Bryant." - Mark Jackson

Don’t NBA teams have the option of adding that player to the full time roster if they were to release another player?

Quote Originally Posted by IrwinFletcher View Post
    Don’t NBA teams have the option of adding that player to the full time roster if they were to release another player?
    Yes, but they would have to sign the G-League player on a 2way deal, to a full contract.
    The artist formerly known as "the sitting MU coach for president"

Yes, that is what I meant.

Quote Originally Posted by IrwinFletcher View Post
    It isn't always so black and white.
    With all the esoteric cap rules in the NBA not all teams are in position to do that. One year, if the Heat would have signed a player to the veteran minimum, it would have been a huge hit to the luxury tax, many fold times the actual salary.
    Because the player waived would still count against the cap and in some cases accelerated, it is not always financially feasible to do.
    Also, if they are at or above the cap, they can only sign them to a minimum contract. I could see in some cases where a player may not want to do that.
    I don't know the particulars in Jamil's and Clippers case though.

Glad he is getting time in the league!