Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Game thread - MU vs Eastern Illinois

Game thread - MU vs Eastern Illinois

Interesting tie-ins...

While Eastern Illinois features former Racine Case star D'Angelo Jackson, they also have assistant Tone Boyle, former UWM star.
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

How often do we need to talk about MU's defense? I know it was said in an earlier thread, but that is where the Cheatham loss will hurt.

Not sure who it was, Ted maybe? That was talking about the hedging of screens today.

Last two possessions Theo John was hedging screens at damn near 1/2 court. On the second one they scored on a layup. Not his man, but there's no help D when the help is out at half court hedging a screen.

Brutal is an understatement for that first half. Rowsey again puts up awful shots instead of passing. Wojo sits him and the offense runs better. Sigh.
    90% of quotes on the internet are wrong.
    - Abraham Lincoln

Folks at the game are missing Dickey Simpkins and his insights on the college football playoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ganzer, "IWB" View Post
    Not sure who it was, Ted maybe? That was talking about the hedging of screens today.

Last two possessions Theo John was hedging screens at damn near 1/2 court. On the second one they scored on a layup. Not his man, but there's no help D when the help is out at half court hedging a screen.
    Wasn't me. This is only the 3rd game I've seen MU play this year.

EIU just scored on another Heldt hedge. Wojo said during an earlier timeout that he doesn't want any paint touches. If that is the case perhaps he should go to a zone

Quote Originally Posted by ge1974 View Post
    EIU just scored on another Heldt hedge. Wojo said during an earlier timeout that he doesn't want any paint touches. If that is the case perhaps he should go to a zone
    I don't understand the benefit of the hedge. Are they going to score from 35 feet out?
    "I'll say it again...Dwyane Wade is the 3rd best SG of all-time...right behind Jordan and Bryant." - Mark Jackson

I have no problem hedging screens, I teach it and it can be very effective.

But there are two problems here...

1) Hedging way to far from the lane. Your guard should not allow himself to be screened out there so no need for a hedge. Also pulls your big way to far from his effective area.

2) Multiple times. I don't even know how to explain this as I have never seen it before, but there is a screen on Markus - Heldt hedges the screen and stops the PG. He heads in the other direction, there is another screen and Heldt hedges again. The guard heads the other way, Heldt tries to rebound for what would be a third hedge-in one, but can't get there. So now Heldt is gassed from running around chasing the PG about 7 feet beyond the arc - I don't understand that.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast