Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 3 UCLA Players in Police Custody in China

Quote Originally Posted by Goose85 View Post

When you go to other countries, they don't care what we consider the level of a crime to be, you have to play by their rules which are almost always tougher than ours. For their sake I hope they can leave with the team.
    I got to go to dinner and talk with a former Marquette student that learned that lesson the hard way.
    "I'll say it again...Dwyane Wade is the 3rd best SG of all-time...right behind Jordan and Bryant." - Mark Jackson

Story has been changing as no one really knows what the Chinese will do, but the last I read they are out on bail, confined to their hotel and its said that they can't leave until the process plays out - days, weeks or months, but it sounds like it could be a month.
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

I've been very strong on my opinions on another board in regard to this and it probably didn't sit well with posters like Sultan. Just the idea of a kid with the last name Ball curbs my judgment a little.

I have zero tolerance for stealing of any kind. Told my kids if they ever got caught shoplifting and were picked up by the police, don't call me and be prepared to walk home whether it's a mile or 100 miles. The fact that these kids were on a paid international trip really makes it worse for me and I really could care less whether they have to sit in a Chinese hotel for a month waiting. They made their bed.

Quote Originally Posted by MUMac View Post
    Agree with this take. When I first heard of this, had a bad feeling for these guys. Also question whether or not UCLA did a proper job of educating them as to their behaviors on international soil. If they had, really, really dumb of these guys to do this (not that it wasn't dumb on it's own right). If they had not, shame on them.

China is one tough place to get in trouble. They do not really care about the political view of this or international relations all that much. They care about their laws being followed by all - including international visitors. Leniency is likely not a word in the Chinese language.
    How about their parents?

Quote Originally Posted by TedBaxter View Post
    I've been very strong on my opinions on another board in regard to this and it probably didn't sit well with posters like Sultan. Just the idea of a kid with the last name Ball curbs my judgment a little.

I have zero tolerance for stealing of any kind. Told my kids if they ever got caught shoplifting and were picked up by the police, don't call me and be prepared to walk home whether it's a mile or 100 miles. The fact that these kids were on a paid international trip really makes it worse for me and I really could care less whether they have to sit in a Chinese hotel for a month waiting. They made their bed.
    Yep, no need for a slap on the wrist here. They did what they did.

Quote Originally Posted by MUMac View Post
    Agree with this take. When I first heard of this, had a bad feeling for these guys. Also question whether or not UCLA did a proper job of educating them as to their behaviors on international soil. If they had, really, really dumb of these guys to do this (not that it wasn't dumb on it's own right). If they had not, shame on them.

China is one tough place to get in trouble. They do not really care about the political view of this or international relations all that much. They care about their laws being followed by all - including international visitors. Leniency is likely not a word in the Chinese language.
    Or their parents...

Quote Originally Posted by Nukem2 View Post
    Yep, no need for a slap on the wrist here. They did what they did.
    It depends on how you define "slap on the wrist."

Quote Originally Posted by TheSultan View Post
    It depends on how you define "slap on the wrist."
    Slap on the wrist would be just letting them go home with the team when it leaves.

Quote Originally Posted by Nukem2 View Post
    Slap on the wrist would be just letting them go home with the team when it leaves.

I would agree.

Problem is, what we think of as a slap on the wrist, and what the Chinese authorities think of as a slap on the wrist may be two different things, both legally and culturally.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast