Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: National anthem

Quote Originally Posted by MUMac View Post
    Come on, now. That's just absurd. The photographer was working, not protesting. There is a difference and if you are too blind to see that, then ...
    I guess I didn't realize if you are working and not protesting you don't have to pay attention to the anthem / flag. When I'm at games and not yet at my seat no matter where I am, I do stop and stand at attention during the anthem, and I have noticed that the people working concessions generally stop working and don't service customers during the anthem. Can't say that's always the case because I'm normally at my seat, but that is what I've observed at many stadiums (not just Milwaukee). Once the anthem is finished, they go back to work.

With all of this uproar about disrespect I thought all were expected to pause what they are doing during the anthem. I didn't realize that if you are working, then not paying attention to the anthem was ok as long as you aren't doing it in protest.

So what is stadium protocol during the anthem. Do you stop working, should you stop walking if you are in the concourse, should you stop anywhere if you can hear the anthem? Seriously, what do people think is ok or offensive? I think if you are in the building you should stop and remove your cap, if you are working you should stop for a minute then continue afterward.

Quote Originally Posted by MU/Panther View Post
    I guess some on here have there left-wing racist statements shitting on white people. What the f---- are you!
    I am asking about the national anthem protocol, and why some are making such a big deal about it, yet don't always pay attention themselves while at games. I don't think that has anything to do with left or right wing, white or black.
    Are all supposed to stand at attention or not? Are people supposed to stop working or not? If you are walking in the concourse at the stadium are you excluded from paying attention during the anthem? Do people have to do anything at all during the anthem? Are you supposed to stand when watching a game at home or not?

Quote Originally Posted by Goose85 View Post
    I guess I didn't realize if you are working and not protesting you don't have to pay attention to the anthem / flag. When I'm at games and not yet at my seat no matter where I am, I do stop and stand at attention during the anthem, and I have noticed that the people working concessions generally stop working and don't service customers during the anthem. Can't say that's always the case because I'm normally at my seat, but that is what I've observed at many stadiums (not just Milwaukee). Once the anthem is finished, they go back to work.

With all of this uproar about disrespect I thought all were expected to pause what they are doing during the anthem. I didn't realize that if you are working, then not paying attention to the anthem was ok as long as you aren't doing it in protest.

So what is stadium protocol during the anthem. Do you stop working, should you stop walking if you are in the concourse, should you stop anywhere if you can hear the anthem? Seriously, what do people think is ok or offensive? I think if you are in the building you should stop and remove your cap, if you are working you should stop for a minute then continue afterward.
    Come on Goose, really? The ones on their knees taking pictures are doing it for their job. Give me a break. Really on obtuse and idiotic statement and you continue to double down. Whatever. Have at your faux indignation.

Quote Originally Posted by MUMac View Post
    Come on Goose, really? The ones on their knees taking pictures are doing it for their job. Give me a break. Really on obtuse and idiotic statement and you continue to double down. Whatever. Have at your faux indignation.
    I'm not doubling down, I'm asking a question. I understand you point on the worker, fine.

Mac, I'm genuinely interested in your and others opinions on this as to what the protocol is for fans who are in the concourse or concession area. I always stop during the anthem, but it has always bothered me that people don't stop even though all can hear the national anthem being played. I guess many think it only counts if you are actually in the stands. Not trying to be idiotic, just seeing what others think the protocol is here.

Where is the treatment for black people not there? Stats don't back that up.
    Stats absolutely back that up. Blacks have never been treated equally. Years of Jim Crow laws created an established norm. Red-lining trashed black property values while inflating white property values, creating an inherent disadvantage. Segregated schools created a clear divide in the quality of education. While the laws have been repealed, nothing has been done to actually make changes. You can't just say "red-lining is illegal, now everyone is equal" if the conditions created over generations won't change the property values. Schools are more segregated today than they were in the 1970s. Just because blacks are legally allowed to move doesn't mean they can. They are at a wage disadvantage, an education disadvantage, and a property disadvantage. Pretty hard to sell your home and move to the suburbs when your home is worth $10,000 and the homes in the suburbs start at 20x that value.

If you need sources...

Red-lining and how FHA policies disenfranchised blacks from 1934-1968: https://www.theatlantic.com/business...orhood/371439/

Levittown is a good example of this. It was illegal for blacks to live there when founded, and 50 years later it still was virtually all white: http://www.nytimes.com/1997/12/28/ny...s.html?mcubz=1

Segregation today is worse than it was in the 1970s: https://www.propublica.org/article/s...-now-full-text

Housing discrimination continue

Where is the outraged for the black on black crime. That's right, those folks don't want to hear the folks like Sir Charles and others say those things.
    You're trying to move the goalposts. There is a ton of outrage for black-on-black crime, moreso than for white-on-white crime, but that's not the issue at hand. First of all, yes, 90% of black homicides are black-on-black (2245 out of 2491 in 2013). But 83.5% of white homicides are white-on-white (2509 out of 3005). The simple reality is people are murdered by people they know, in their neighborhood.

That comes from this FBI report: https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s...ender_2013.xls

The issue here is not black-on-black crime, it's racial injustice and police abuses of power. Racial injustice is real. Police abuses of power are real. These are real problems that need to be corrected in our society. Black-on-black crime is also a problem, but that does not lessen the blatant reality of other problems. Just because you have two or more problems doesn't justify sticking your head in the sand because the one you like to talk about hasn't been fixed yet.

It's not a case of moving the goalpost, talking about issue on hand. More overstatements that you are listing. Fake News!! Nobody is saying it's not real, there is many cases which things were just false. Baltimore, Ferguson, heck Milwaukee! I'm moving on. Later!
    March Madness starts in November

It's not a case of moving the goalpost, talking about issue on hand. More overstatements that you are listing. Fake News!! Nobody is saying it's not real, there is many cases which things were just false. Baltimore, Ferguson, heck Milwaukee! I'm moving on. Later!
    Do you believe in freedom and the Constitution? Do you believe those things should be extended to all citizens? If the answer is yes, it's virtually impossible to argue against this protest.

That's for government. Plus, that "freedom and the Constitution" does not apply by the power to everyone as you want it too. See many University's speakers as an example to that.
    Last edited by MU/Panther; 09-28-2017 at 01:59 PM.

That's for government. Plus, that "freedom and the Constitution" does not apply by the power to everyone as you want it too. See many University's speaker as an example as that.
    So if your employer hired a new boss who happened to be Muslim, and he told you that every day you had to pray facing Mecca with him to Allah, you'd be cool with that? I mean, it's all the First Amendment. If their boss can abridge a player's right to protest, your boss can abridge your freedom of religion.

Rights are rights. The government pays the NFL to put players on the sideline during the anthem. They have done so as a recruiting tool since 2009. So if government payments are forcing them to be there, they have the right to protest.

Government doesn't pay the players. You lost me.

Anyways, you made your point. You are cool with players taking a knee. Fine.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast