Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: National anthem

Quote Originally Posted by Markedman View Post
    The league is much different now......I will be shocked if they do anything now that NFL has allowed it without punishment.

NBA caters to the star players now.....Lebron, Curry...etc......Does anybody really think Adam Silver is going to do anything if those guys take a knee?
    Not to mention Steve Kerr and Greg Popovich.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Warrior View Post
    I'm curious. Do posters think that a substantial number of NFL fans will boycott games?

Maybe a more personal question: anyone on this board regularly attend NFL games who would now stop going because of players kneeling during the anthem? (Doesn't have to be a Packer fan - could be a fan of any team.)
    DirecTV is allowing people to cancel their NFL Packages with a refund. Never have done that before. Like it or not, some people arent happy for many reasons.

65% to 70% of Americans are pissed with all of this, I'm willing to bet!
    March Madness starts in November

Quote Originally Posted by MU/Panther View Post
    65% to 70% middle aged white dudes are pissed with all of this, I'm willing to bet!
    FiFY
    "In the words of Bill Simmons, "Because that's how we roll be-yotch!"" -IWB

It isn't just middle aged white dudes though. Polling suggests a broader level of unhappiness with the NFL and its position. It will be interesting to see where this goes.

65% to 70% of Americans are pissed with all of this, I'm willing to bet!
    Maybe 65% to 70% of southern white males are, but all Americans, not the polls I've seen.
    Bottom line, if Trump didn't call Kappernick and others SOBs, while not showing similar disdain for the KKK, white nationalists, etc I don't think this thing blows up the way it did. I think most would prefer politics stay out of sports, but with the Pres now tweeting about this daily, football and politics are now intertwined and I don't see that changing soon. My guess is most would prefer the ramping up of the rhetoric on this topic would stop, but it is big news now.

Fans were going to boycott Philadelphia when they signed Mike Vick, but that didn't last long if it impacted Philly at all. Fans of some teams were adamant about their team not drafting Mixon, but he looked pretty good for Cincy and I'm not sure if fans have boycotted. Elliot played on Monday night, but there didn't seem to be any fan backlash about him playing.

I'm still waiting for the outrage for the news agencies photographer that was on one knee taking pictures of the players during the anthem - I actually found that picture attached to the story of the Buffalo Bills employee hilarious. I'm sure Trump will call for his firing soon.

I stand at attention for the anthem and always have. I don't, however, when I'm watching on TV, and not really sure if I should or not. Do most Americans stand at home for the anthem (like those 65% to 70% of Americans that are pissed)?
    I do see folks not paying attention during the anthem, even now looking around to see what other people are doing. I have also determined that many, if not in their seats, don't feel they need to stop if they are walking / talking in the concourse before a game. I always stop and stand at attention, even if walking into the stadium. What are the flag rules on that, I'm really not sure?

Quote Originally Posted by Goose85 View Post
    Maybe 65% to 70% of southern white males are, but all Americans, not the polls I've seen.
    Bottom line, if Trump didn't call Kappernick and others SOBs, while not showing similar disdain for the KKK, white nationalists, etc I don't think this thing blows up the way it did. I think most would prefer politics stay out of sports, but with the Pres now tweeting about this daily, football and politics are now intertwined and I don't see that changing soon. My guess is most would prefer the ramping up of the rhetoric on this topic would stop, but it is big news now.

Fans were going to boycott Philadelphia when they signed Mike Vick, but that didn't last long if it impacted Philly at all. Fans of some teams were adamant about their team not drafting Mixon, but he looked pretty good for Cincy and I'm not sure if fans have boycotted. Elliot played on Monday night, but there didn't seem to be any fan backlash about him playing.

I'm still waiting for the outrage for the news agencies photographer that was on one knee taking pictures of the players during the anthem - I actually found that picture attached to the story of the Buffalo Bills employee hilarious. I'm sure Trump will call for his firing soon.

I stand at attention for the anthem and always have. I don't, however, when I'm watching on TV, and not really sure if I should or not. Do most Americans stand at home for the anthem (like those 65% to 70% of Americans that are pissed)?
    I do see folks not paying attention during the anthem, even now looking around to see what other people are doing. I have also determined that many, if not in their seats, don't feel they need to stop if they are walking / talking in the concourse before a game. I always stop and stand at attention, even if walking into the stadium. What are the flag rules on that, I'm really not sure?
    Come on, now. That's just absurd. The photographer was working, not protesting. There is a difference and if you are too blind to see that, then ...

I guess some on here have there left-wing racist statements shitting on white people. What the f---- are you!

I guess some on here have there left-wing racist statements shitting on white people. What the f---- are you!
    I'm confused how supporting equal treatment for black people equates to "shitting on white people." I support equality for all citizens, as guaranteed by the Constitution. I also support the right to peaceful protest, as guaranteed by the Constitution and upheld regarding protests that call for Congressional action in US v Cruikshank in 1875.

People don't realize that this isn't a right wing or left wing issue, it is a Constitutional issue. Supporting the Constitution means supporting the freedoms it grants. Supporting the freedoms it grants means supporting equality for all citizens. And supporting equality for all citizens, in my estimation, is exactly what this country is supposed to be all about.

It's not right vs left, it's freedom vs forced action.

Where is the treatment for black people not there? Stats don't back that up. Where is the outraged for the black on black crime. That's right, those folks don't want to hear the folks like Sir Charles and others say those things.
    Last edited by MU/Panther; 09-28-2017 at 11:34 AM.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast