Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: National anthem

Quote Originally Posted by MU/Panther View Post
    Not during the Star-Spangled Banner that's for sure. Give some of their paycheck to re-build these area's. Go to the schools. Talk about staying out of gang life. Talk about the getting your education and not doing drugs. Not making babies out of wedlock.

First, many of them do that.

Second, stop telling people what they SHOULD believe is important.

And finally, I am getting a little bit annoyed by the multitude of videos and stories I see that reference a black person saying they stand and so should the players. No one person speaks for a race.
    Last edited by TheSultan; 09-29-2017 at 11:44 AM.

Where is the treatment for black people not there? Stats don't back that up. Where is the outraged for the black on black crime. That's right, those folks don't want to hear the folks like Sir Charles and others say those things.
    That you, Sheriff Clarke?

Quote Originally Posted by MUfan12 View Post
    That you, Sheriff Clarke?
    I wish.
    March Madness starts in November

Quote Originally Posted by TheSultan View Post
    So by your definition: "Men are people who entertain me without bothering me with their opinions." To me, men are people who stand up for what they believe in regardless of the consequences.

And people really have to stop with the "do something important" narrative. Many of these guys do a ton of work in their communities, a lot of which is done without publicity.
    No, my definition is that men don’t pose when in front of the camera and disappear when the season is over. If they truly felt that strongly about the issue they would have done something in the offseason. Instead they were MIA. That tells me that this is all for show and that your belief in them is stronger than their belief in ‘The Cause’.

Quote Originally Posted by The Reptile View Post
    No, my definition is that men don’t pose when in front of the camera and disappear when the season is over. If they truly felt that strongly about the issue they would have done something in the offseason. Instead they were MIA. That tells me that this is all for show and that your belief in them is stronger than their belief in ‘The Cause’.

Who was MIA? That's what I don't get. Many of these guys are doing quite a bit if you would simply bother to look. For example...

Kaepernick.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/08/coli...er-communities

Bennett.

http://www.king5.com/entertainment/t...ield/471806485

Who was MIA? That's what I don't get. Many of these guys are doing quite a bit if you would simply bother to look. For example...

Kaepernick.

Bennett.

If by many, you mean a handful out of all of those who took a knee or sat, I would agree with you. Doubt there is really any easy way to quantify the actual numbers of those that are actually backing up their protests by trying to make a difference in their communities, but I would guess it's way less than half. I'd like to be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by MUAlphaBangura View Post
    If by many, you mean a handful out of all of those who took a knee or sat, I would agree with you. Doubt there is really any easy way to quantify the actual numbers of those that are actually backing up their protests by trying to make a difference in their communities, but I would guess it's way less than half. I'd like to be wrong.

In my very first English composition course as a MU freshman, somewhere deep in the bowels of the Schroeder Complex, a wise instructor once taught me "you can't used 'most' without a survey."

You might be right. I don't know.

I'm fine with peaceful protest. The style they are doing it is disrespectful.
    Kaepernick initially sat on the bench. After speaking with a Army veteran and Green Beret, he began to kneel to show genuflection to the flag and men who served while still showing his protest against the injustices he sees in society. So the style is done specifically to show respect while still protesting.

And having sworn an oath to uphold the Constitution, I can't think of anything that shows more respect for that oath than to exercise the rights my oath was made to protect.

Kaepernick.

Bennett.

Ok. That’s one current NFL player. Where are the rest of the aggrieved? There were a lot more than one protesting.

And when you say these guys have done ‘a lot’ what constitutes ‘a lot’. Tweets are meaningless. Where is the real actions these guys have done. How much money have they raised? How many times were they arrested for ‘The Cause’? How many protests did they organize? How many public speeches did they give? How many interviews?

The folks you are defending have light resumes and appear to me like posers.

Quote Originally Posted by The Reptile View Post
    Ok. That’s one current NFL player. Where are the rest of the aggrieved? There were a lot more than one protesting.

And when you say these guys have done ‘a lot’ what constitutes ‘a lot’. Tweets are meaningless. Where is the real actions these guys have done. How much money have they raised? How many times were they arrested for ‘The Cause’? How many protests did they organize? How many public speeches did they give? How many interviews?

The folks you are defending have light resumes and appear to me like posers.

As I said many of them do a lot "if you simply bother to look." Apparently you haven't and you won't. That's as weak as you are accusing these guys of being.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast