Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: National anthem

National anthem

Long time reader, small time poster....

Has anyone given a thought to whether the taking a knee protest will spread to college bball? Not seeing it in football yet. Do college coaches wield more influence over the players so they can prevent it? What if MU players did it?

Nigel Hayes had his own form of protest last year by standing behind the line of teammates. I think a few others did that as well.
    The artist formerly known as cheebs09

Can we, as a society, please, please, please keep politics out of sport? Can't we have anywhere to escape from it? I know, it's like asking for a magic potion made from unicorn farts, but a Mayor can dream.
    90% of quotes on the internet are wrong.
    - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
    Long time reader, small time poster....

Has anyone given a thought to whether the taking a knee protest will spread to college bball? Not seeing it in football yet. Do college coaches wield more influence over the players so they can prevent it? What if MU players did it?

Yes. Pro players have economic options that college players do not. And professional coaches are way down on the "control freak scale" compared to most college coaches.

Quote Originally Posted by MayorBeluga View Post
    Can we, as a society, please, please, please keep politics out of sport? Can't we have anywhere to escape from it? I know, it's like asking for a magic potion made from unicorn farts, but a Mayor can dream.
    I hear ya, mayor.

And no...we can't keep politics out of sport. Never have, never will.

Quote Originally Posted by MayorBeluga View Post
    If you want politics out of sports, stop playing the national anthem. It's basically a mandated political statement to start every sporting event. And as you can't legally compel people to adhere to specific political beliefs, we will have politics in sport as long as we have both the national anthem played and the Constitution existent.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77" View Post
    If you want politics out of sports, stop playing the national anthem. It's basically a mandated political statement to start every sporting event. And as you can't legally compel people to adhere to specific political beliefs, we will have politics in sport as long as we have both the national anthem played and the Constitution existent.
    Interesting. I never really gave it any thought but now I am questioning it -- why is the national anthem played before sporting events? Kind of strange when you think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSultan View Post
    And no...we can't keep politics out of sport. Never have, never will.
    Can we keep the political topics off of a designated basketball message board like this one?

Unfortunately politics have been thrust into the spotlight vis a vis sports in general, not just with respect to the NFL. Of course, it's not the first time that has happened.

I was not around in 1936, but from what I've read and seen, politics was very present in the Olympics in Berlin that year. The same holds true when Tommie Smith and John Carlos raised their fists on the podium during the 1968 Olympics or when the U.S. pulled out of the Olympics in 1980 for political reasons. And of course the "Miracle on Ice" definitely had political overtones as did Russia's upset of the U.S. in basketball in 1972.

Of course, what's different this time around is that this is not the Olympics, does not involve Russia, and is not international.

Still, I think the original post in this thread asks an important question, one that is germane to this particular board. Will what is happening now in the NFL have any carry-over to college basketball, in general, and to MU basketball, in particular?

One possibility, of course, is that the entire controversy will have died down and become a non-issue by the time MU's first game comes around.

But another possibility is that this issue will still be very much alive, especially if any NBA teams or individual players decide to kneel during the anthem or even not come out on the court until after the anthem is played.

Personally, I have a hunch that at least some NBA players or teams will choose to react in one form or another, which will then also put college teams in an uncomfortable position when their seasons start.

I have no idea what Wojo, Scholl, or Lovell, let alone the players, will ultimately decide to do, but I am guessing that the issue either has already been discussed to some degree or will be discussed in the near future by all parties involved not only in MU men's hoops but in all other sports as well.

In short, I think this is a valid topic for discussion on this board.

Those of us old enough to have watched MU during Al's tenure certainly recall when MU players, including star Dean Meminger, considered carrying out a boycott. Al intervened, and the proposed boycott died on the vine.

But back to the present - my guess is that all MU players and coaches will stand during the anthem. But what if even one player, let alone two or three, decide to kneel during the anthem? It could happen. Then what?

Will the administration come down on those individuals? If so, how? Will they be suspended? Reprimanded? Benched?

Will some/many fans boo those players? That's a possibility.

One thing I'm fairly certain of is that each player on MU's roster is already asking himself what he would/will do when the anthem is played during the first game of the season.
    Last edited by Phantom Warrior; 09-26-2017 at 07:19 AM.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast