Over the years, an awful lot of players from the five area counties - Milwaukee, Ozaukee, Waukesha, Racine, and Washington - have worn the MU jersey. My fandom only goes back to the late 50s, so I am only including in the following list players I am either sure or fairly certain were from the metro area, but I am limiting the list to players who became regular starters during the career (with at least one exception).

I was thinking about what an all-Milwaukee area all-MU roster might look like for the past 60 years or so. I am not certain of all of the high schools associated with the listed players, so maybe some with better memories than mine can fill in a few of the gaps.

So, if posters had to select a five-member first team and a five-member second team, which players would posters select? Instead of doing just the top five players and the next five players, I tried to do create the teams by position: point guard, off guard, small forward, power forward, and center. Some players had to play "out of position" for part or all of their MU careers, while some were associated with two, or even three, positions.

Here is the list I've come up with. I'm sure I missed some players. Please point out any other players from the Milwaukee area who became regular starters at MU. And if you can fill in any omissions in terms of school, or at least county, that would be appreciated as well.

Odell Ball - King ('78-'79)
Lee Borowski - Custer - (61-'63)
Gary Brell - Pius - ? ('70-'71)
Dwight Buycks - Bay View ('10-'11)
Rocke Calvelli - Racine ('63-'65)
Jim Chones - Racine St. Catherine ('71-'72)
Dave Delsman - Waukesha ('73-'75) - Not sure if DD ever became a starter.
Tom Flynn - Messmer - ? ('64-'66)
John Glaser - MUHS - ? ('56 - '58) - Before my time but still included him. How could I not?
Ron Glaser - Washington ('61-'63)
Jerry Homan - ? - ('73-'75)
Bob Hornak - Notre Dame - ? ('61-'63)
Robert Jackson - Washington - '03
Kevin Johnson - Marshall or Madison - ('86-'87)
James Kersten - Racine - ? ('58-'60) Not sure if he ever became a starter or if he was even from the area, but I think so.
Damon Key - MUHS - ('91-'94)
Don Kojis - Notre Dame - ('59-'61)
Brad Luchini - West Allis Central - ('66-'68)
Dean Marquardt - Washington - ('79-'82)
Allie McGuire - MUHS - ('71-'73)
Jim McIlvaine - Racine St. Catherine - ('91-'94)
Scott Merritt - Tosa East - ('01-'04)
John Mueller - MUHS - ? - ('98-'01) I believe Mueller started as a senior when Merritt was a freshman.
Steve Novak - Brown Deer - (''03-'06)
Trevor Powell - Washington - ('88-'91)
Gary Rosenberger - MUHS - ('75-'78) "Rosey" was never a regular starter but he was invaluable, so what the hell.
Jeff Sewell - Grafton - ('68-'70)
Blanton Simmons - North Division - ('66 - '68)
Shannon Smith - Dominican - ('92-'93) Not sure Shannon ever became a starter. He may have started a few games as a frosh, but played behind Eford as a soph.
Tony Smith - Tosa East - ('87-'90)
John Stone - Whitefish Bay - ('63-'64)
Jake Thomas - Racine - ('13 - '14)
Jamil Wilson - Racine - ('12 - '13)
Bob Wolf - Menomonee Falls (('65-'67)

Not a whole lot of point guards in this list. Tony Smith played point as a senior. Kevin Johnson was a point guard. And Buycks played point his two years at MU. Decent numbers at the other positions. My first team and second team - including a few "no brainers."

First Team:

Point Guard - Tony Smith
Off Guard - Bob Wolf
Small Forward - Don Kojis
Power Forward - Steve Novak
Center - Jim Chones

Second Team:

Point Guard - Kevin Johnson
Off Guard - Ron Glaser
Small Forward - Tom Flynn
Power Forward - Damon Key
Center - Jim McIlvaine

Note: tough decision between Damon Key and Trevor Powell. Also tough keeping Gary Brell from making the second team, but I had to put Flynn ahead of him.

Curious to see how others would choose.