Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: All Milwaukee Metro Area MU Team

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Warrior View Post
    Mark,

I didn't include most of those players you mentioned because they were not starters. Neary was, of course, but....I never viewed him as a true starter. (Just my view.)

I never heard of Bob Steber.
    Steber was good at Pius. And Neary...have to agree there.

Randy Buchmann 1971-75 ?? Milw Hamilton

Buchman is another guy who never started at MU. If memory serves, didn't he transfer to another school? I have a vague recollection of RB transferring. Did he come in with Tatum's class or Luke's class?

Quote Originally Posted by MulliganMusings View Post
    Doesn't there have to be a spot for Tony Smith on at least the second team? Prolific scorer on some historically bad MU teams. He scored even when other coaches game planned to stop him.
    I remember Al Maguire night Tony's senior year against DePaul. At one point, Pat Kennedy had 3 guys on Tony and he still scored on them. He ended up with 41 or 44 and willed us to win. I also saw go against a ranked Fordham team at MSG. The Piano Man at one point posts him up against Fordham's two bigs and has someone throw lobs to Tony who got up and scored over them. It only lasted a few trips before Fordham adjusted but is showed how athletic he was. Tony was scary good in college and to think that he was a casual pick up by Majerus with no story or accolades ('biggest sleeper' anyone).

Tony Smioth was one of the best players in the state. He and Robert Berryhill from Racine. All knew Tony would be good. The question was who would be better, Smith or Berryhill?
    "He understands Justice under God"--Augustus Cornelius Johnson

Tony Smith is terribly underrated. He was a gem on teams filled mostly with crap. Doesn't get nearly the recognition he deserves.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Warrior View Post
    Buchman is another guy who never started at MU. If memory serves, didn't he transfer to another school? I have a vague recollection of RB transferring. Did he come in with Tatum's class or Luke's class?
    Academics were an issue and he ended up at Oshkosh or Whitewater.
    Last edited by Nukem2; 08-29-2017 at 06:42 PM.

RB is listed attending MU '71-75 and as a 3 year letter winner... Dont recall him transferring...

Quote Originally Posted by Gato78 View Post
    Tony Smioth was one of the best players in the state. He and Robert Berryhill from Racine. All knew Tony would be good. The question was who would be better, Smith or Berryhill?
    Dick Bennett was recruiting Tony really hard and thought he was going to commit to UWSP. He saw in him what he had in Terry Porter and was telling Tony that. Dick felt that Majerus recruited Tony due to his recruiting of Smith.

I remember watching Tony Smith play in the State Tournament - I'm pretty sure it was his senior year. It was obvious he was a terrific athlete, but he couldn't shoot a lick outside of five feet. He could get to the hoop and score, but he didn't have even a decent mid-range shot. I recall thinking, "I really hope MU doesn't recruit him." But they did, and, of course, the rest is history.

I'm not sure any MU player, at least in the last 40 years or so, improved as much over his four years at MU as TS did. The fact that he became such a good three-point shooter by his senior season was astonishing, but equally impressive, his ball handling also improved dramatically. He evolved into a more than serviceable point guard his senior year after having never played the position at any level.

It's hard to imagine to what depths - or should I say greater depths - the program would have sunk to without Tony. We could have ended up like Detroit and Loyola. We came pretty close to that even with him.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast