Thread: OT: Women's Volleyball upsets Hawaii at Hawaii

OT: Women's Volleyball upsets Hawaii at Hawaii

http://www.gomarquette.com/sports/w-...082617aab.htmlFor the third straight year the Marquette volleyball team has opened the season with a road victory over a top-25 ranked opponent as the Golden Eagles bested No. 20 Hawaii in a close, five-set battle on Friday night in the 2017 season opener.

I lived in Hawaii for several years and saw a ton of UH Wahine volleyball games. A very tough place to play. They get thousands of people and it is a raucous crowd. I am sure the tourney sold out. Congrats to the girls. Play 13th ranked UCLA tonight.
    "I'll say it again...Dwyane Wade is the 3rd best SG of all-time...right behind Jordan and Bryant." - Mark Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by pbiflyer View Post
    http://www.gomarquette.com/sports/w-...082617aab.htmlFor the third straight year the Marquette volleyball team has opened the season with a road victory over a top-25 ranked opponent as the Golden Eagles bested No. 20 Hawaii in a close, five-set battle on Friday night in the 2017 season opener.

I lived in Hawaii for several years and saw a ton of UH Wahine volleyball games. A very tough place to play. They get thousands of people and it is a raucous crowd. I am sure the tourney sold out. Congrats to the girls. Play 13th ranked UCLA tonight.
    PB, am out in Hawaii for the tournament. Last night there was about 5,500 total for our game. Kinda disappointed as the crowd really only got loud a couple of times. The great news is we really didn't play all that well. Soooo much potential for this squad. Only 1 senior and 2 juniors. Some pretty unbelievable freshman talent. UCLA will certainly be a challenge this afternoon. Really want to see them come out today with no fear. Hopefully they will be looser today having a match under their belts.
    Was also the 1st game for Hawaii's new coach, a former player. Will be interesting to see if Hawaii's fans will embrace us as it sounds like they and UCLA have a solid rivalry.

I did not realize that
    a. Dave Shoji was still the coach there.
    b. that he retired this year.

He was the coach in the 90s. We used to see him around Manoa all the time. Good guy.
    Also did not realize that Robin Ah Mow is their coach. She was a player when I was there.
    I only went for the athletic competition. They fact that they had one of the hottest volleyball players, Joeslyn Robins ever played no factor in my attendance.

Enjoy your time out there. Have Malasadas for breakfast from Leonards. Eat a plate lunch somewhere.
    Last edited by pbiflyer; 08-26-2017 at 06:57 PM.
    "I'll say it again...Dwyane Wade is the 3rd best SG of all-time...right behind Jordan and Bryant." - Mark Jackson

I believe MU's two best players transferred last season with one heading to Iowa (one may have graduated). Quite an accomplishment under those circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by IrwinFletcher View Post
    I believe MU's two best players transferred last season with one heading to Iowa (one may have graduated). Quite an accomplishment under those circumstances.
    Taylor Louis is at Iowa and high school teammate Amanda Green transferred to Louisville. Louis led Iowa in kills this weekend and Green led Louisville in kills in a loss to Wisconsin Friday night. Michigan State is ranked 17th in the country with former MU hitter Autumn Bailey and lost to Georgia Tech to this weekend. Bailey seems to have struggled a little hitting this weekend and is coming off of an injury.

Louis made reference to some possible team issues last year at Marquette and it appears she and Green may have left because of those issues.
    Last edited by TedBaxter; 08-27-2017 at 09:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TedBaxter View Post
    Taylor Louis is at Iowa and high school teammate Amanda Green transferred to Louisville. Louis led Iowa in kills this weekend and Green led Louisville in kills in a loss to Wisconsin Friday night. Michigan State is ranked 17th in the country with former MU hitter Autumn Bailey and lost to Georgia Tech to this weekend. Bailey seems to have struggled a little hitting this weekend and is coming off of an injury.

Louis made reference to some possible team issues last year at Marquette and it appears she and Green may have left because of those issues.
    The issues were in the senior class so I guess I don't quite get Lewis bailing on her remaining teammates. She was their best talent but very mentally fragile. When she got down she dragged the team with her. Hope she's happy in Iowa City. I'm happy with the current roster and look forward to these young ladies maturing. They are going to be really good in a year or two.

Tough losses to #13 UCLA and #22 San Diego to finish the weekend.
    March Madness starts in November