Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Great Alaskan Shootout In It's Final Year

Great Alaskan Shootout In It's Final Year

Total bummer. Great memories of that tournament. Formerly the top Thanksgiving tournament along with Maui. The field got reallllly bad in recent years so it's probably best they just put it out of its misery.

It was already sliding in MU's last appearance there in '05. Consider the change in competition in just 4 years. In '01, MU faced Tennessee, Indiana, and Gonzaga. In '05, it was Eastern Washington, Oral Roberts, and South Carolina.

Yeah the field this year is pretty mediocre. Cal Poly, CSU Bakersfield, Central Michigan, College of Charleston, Idaho, Sam Houston State and Santa Clara.

Probably because schools would rather go somewhere where their fans could make a vacation out of it.

Interesting to go back to the yearly results.

Marquette finished 2nd to Southwest Louisiana in 1981. Doc Rivers on All-Tournament team.

Marquette wins championships in the other two appearances in 2001 and 2005. Wade and Novak MVP's. McNeal and James All-Tournament.

Ryan Amoroso was on MU's 2005 championship team and was All-Tournament for the championship San Diego State team in 2009.

I went to both the '01 and '05 GAS - two of the best trips of my life - Alaska is a really cool venue - beautiful place. Sorry to hear the news.

Quote Originally Posted by CaribouJim View Post
    I went to both the '01 and '05 GAS - two of the best trips of my life - Alaska is a really cool venue - beautiful place. Sorry to hear the news.
    Alaska, where many a screen names were born!

Quote Originally Posted by MUAlphaBangura View Post
    Alaska, where many a screen names were born!
    Correct - you me and the Mayor to mention a few!

Quote Originally Posted by CaribouJim View Post
    Correct - you me and the Mayor to mention a few!
    Well, truth be told, only half Hizzoner's screen name has its genesis in the great white north. The other half allegedly involves the C-USA tournament in Birmingham. Alllegedly.
    90% of quotes on the internet are wrong.
    - Abraham Lincoln

Was that the tournament where you guys flew to Birmingham for the tourney and were getting off the plane and the MU team was there waiting to get on your plane and fly it back to Milwaukee because they had already lost?
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ganzer, "IWB" View Post
    Was that the tournament where you guys flew to Birmingham for the tourney and were getting off the plane and the MU team was there waiting to get on your plane and fly it back to Milwaukee because they had already lost?
    Hizzoner knows of the story, but it was another group that used to regularly attend the C-USA tournaments. B'ham was the source of some great stories:

In a bar with the about-to-be fired Mike Deane, and rumor had it that Kevin O'Neill was coming back to MU. Mike says "they think I swear alot? Kevin thinks mother is half a word. Personally, I prefer ****sucker."

Same night, a chick is hanging around assistant Brian Bidlingmeier. He blows her off to go play pool. Someone says to Deane "What's up with Bid?" Deane looks at her and goes "You didn;t read the scouting report. She only brings it to practice and not the actual game"

Finally, Rob Jeter still owes us for his share of the cab ride back to the hotel that night. Bastard.

Good times.
    90% of quotes on the internet are wrong.
    - Abraham Lincoln

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast