Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How/When Did You Become An MU Fan?

Been a fan since the late 60's. One of my friend's Dad worked for Golden Guernsey in West Allis and often got tickets to the games as they were a big sponsor back then. He would generally take a couple of the neighborhood kids to the games along with his son. There were some pretty craptacular years when I was in grad school(1983-87) but I never missed the games. Have missed 3 home games since my freshman year of grad school in 1983. Like most here, there are certain things that bring you close and keep you close to the program. I've been blessed to have many of those things.

Became a fan when Marquette offered me a scholarship to attend a month before school started. While I had heard of Marquette and knew who McGuire was, I did have to ask the person on the phone where exactly it was located.
    I was however a lifelong hater of all things Norte Dame, so when I arrived on campus, I knew immediately I was in the right place.
    Oh, and when people talked about Glenn Rivers, I thought they were talking about a town in Wisconsin, not a fellow freshman.
    "I'll say it again...Dwyane Wade is the 3rd best SG of all-time...right behind Jordan and Bryant." - Mark Jackson

I rooted for MU in their Sweet 16 run in 1994 when I was in high school. I committed to attend MU in 1995 and followed them heavily that season too until my freshman year in 1996. I missed 2 non-break home games in seven years as an undergrad and law student (and then very rarely after that while we lived in Wisconsin). Would watch or listen to every road game.

I was a huge Gophers fan growing up, and I could tell the tide had turned big time when I made the road trip through a blizzard to the Barn with a crammed car for the NIT final eight game in 1998. I badly wanted MU to beat Minnesota and we almost did in that raucous little arena. That Minnesota team still had some great players from that Final Four team that was later invalidated due to the academic scandal (Sam Jacobson, Quincy Lewis, Eric Harris, etc.) and ended up winning the NIT that year. We lost to them by 2 with a shot to win the game at the end. I still say Marquette would have brought home the NIT title that year had that 3-pointer (John Cliff, I think?) gone down.
    Last edited by MU Viking; 08-14-2017 at 12:39 PM.

My father got his master's degree at MU. I grew up in SE Wisconsin, a northern suburb, cheering for MU is all I ever knew. I specifically remember Kevin Oneill's teams and the win over Kentucky in 1994 to go to the Sweet 16. I went to MUHS and then to MU. Played soccer at both. I was at MU during the 2003 Final Four....a great, great time. I definitely bleed blue and gold. My fanaticism has probably become even stronger since graduating (following the team and recruiting). In addition, my dislike of all things Badgers was created upon going to MU.

MUFAN2003,

Out of curiosity, did you graduate from MUHS in either 1999 or 2000?

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Warrior View Post
    MUFAN2003,

No.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Warrior View Post
    MUFAN2003,

A small tangent. I have a facebook friend, completely unrelated to Marquette, located on the other side of the country, in a completely different context from college or basketball. Looked at his profile and under friends, it listed a common one - one IWB. They were MUHS classmates.
    I am not sure they know each other well, as he speaks very highly of IWB.
    "I'll say it again...Dwyane Wade is the 3rd best SG of all-time...right behind Jordan and Bryant." - Mark Jackson

We know each other very well. He is also one of the attorneys in the high profile "monkey selfie" suit.
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ganzer, "IWB" View Post
    We know each other very well. He is also one of the attorneys in the high profile "monkey selfie" suit.
    The case of "Monkey See, Monkey Sue!"

My dad was a big Al McGuire fan and went to a lot of games in the 60s and 70s. We moved to Madison in the mid-70s, and he rooted for Marquette and Wisconsin. (He still does.) My earliest memories of MU basketball was the 1977 championship, and I rooted for them ever since. And to be honest it wasn't all that hard in those days. UW was terrible. More people cared about hockey. The odd thing is that I never considered actually attending Marquette until I received a random mass mailing when I was a junior. (Like many Madison kids, I just assumed I'd go to UW.)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast