Thread: What Did Al Say About Being a Bartender and Driving a Cab?

What Did Al Say About Being a Bartender and Driving a Cab?

“I think everyone should go to college and get a degree, then spend six months as a bartender and six months as a cab driver. Then they'd really be educated.”

http://time.com/4838702/helen-rothbe...ct-mix-review/

Want to successfully lead an organization? Then start mixing drinks, writes Helen Rothberg in The Perfect Mix. Although she's now a management consultant and a professor of strategy at Marist College, Rothberg argues that she learned her most valuable leadership skills while tending bar during grad school.
    Among them: reading body language to analyze interpersonal situations (useful in tamping down barroom brawls and also in keeping the boardroom civil); managing charming but deadbeat workers (great for weeding out waiters who are more show than substance); and communicating key details (at her bar, sales started plummeting after a boss revamped the menu without explaining it to his waitstaff, who couldn't explain it to customers).
    "This is life leading an organization," Rothberg writes. "Sometimes you stir, sometimes you shake, and sometimes you blend. And sometimes you just serve it up neat, just as it is."

I had a brother who drove a cab in Boston for a bit after he graduated from BC in '73 - not an easy city to be a cabbie BTW. Years later, he eventually went to Rice for his MBA and was told by them that his tenure as a cabbie played a part in him getting the thumbs up - his profile was pretty different than the typically more blue blood candidates.

More examples of Al's wisdom although I haven't found any nuggets from Al on what benefits later in life are from cleaning out sewers as I did the last summer before my senior year at MU. If anyone finds anything please advise!
    Last edited by CaribouJim; 08-02-2017 at 08:59 AM.