Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 21st Century All-MU Teams

21st Century All-MU Teams

Looking back on all MU players who played on any MU team beginning with the 2000-2001 season, I tried to put together a first-team, second team, and third team by position. The only requirement was that a player must have completed his college career at MU, even if he did not begin at MU. Here's what I came up with along with some thoughts.

First Team:

Point Guard - Dominic James (This was a close contest between DJ and Travis. Travis was a better shooter and scorer, but DJ was a superior defender, maybe the best on-ball defender we've had at MU this century.)

2-Guard - Dwyane Wade (This was a no-brainer.)

Small Forward - Jimmy Butler (Another close contest between Jimmy B. and Wes with a slight edge to J.B.)

Power Forward - Jae Crowder (This was a pretty tight contest between Jae and Steve N., but Jae was, after all, BE POY and made second team A-A as a senior.)

Center - Davante Gardner (DG was our only 5 during this era to earn all-conference recognition.)

Second Team:

Point Guard - Travis Diener (TD as much as any MU player this century personified the concept of "Warrior." The fact that he played in the NBA for five years despite being 5'11" tells you all you need to know about his skill level, his smarts, and his heart.)

2-Guard - Jerel McNeal (D. Wade made first team A-A, but Jerel made second team his senior year. He improved every year and averaged just shade under 20.0 ppg as a senior.)

Small Forward - Wes Matthews (Wes came out of D.J.'s and Jerel's shadows his senior year, and he, too, made all-BE during his career at MU.)

Power Forward - Steve Novak (S.N. made all-BE as a senior and was the best shooter MU has had this century, maybe ever. Plus there was that monster game against UConn in his first BE game that made a huge statement about MU in the BE.)

Center - Scott Merrit (To me, S.M. was under-appreciated by many MU fans, but he had a solid career at MU and was willing to be that third or fourth offensive option and play solid defense and grab boards. Quite simply, while Wade, Diener, and RJax got most of the publicity, we don't get to the Final Four without S.M.)

Third Team:

Point Guard - Cordell Henry (Cordell improved substantially each year. He diversified his offensive game, including his shooting, and became a respectable defender, despite his height. I picked him ahead of Junior Cadougan because he was a key factor in helping the program reach the next level.)

2-Guard - Darius Johnson-Odom (I almost went with Vander Blue, but DJ-O, over his three years at MU was more productive than Vander was. Vander had one really solid year; DJ-O had three. I also picked him ahead of Brian Wardle, though that was really close. B.W. pretty much had to carry his teams offensively, while DJ-O had other strong offensive players alongside him, but DJ-O did make all-BE his senior season.)

Small Forward - Lazar Hayward (I know. Lazar played power forward his three years with the Amigos and even played center as a senior, but I could not imagine L.H. not earning a spot on one of the three teams. Plus, he, too, made all-BE during his career, and, according to some reports, was the toughest SOB at MU in the past 15-20 years.)

Power Forward - Henry Ellenson (I picked Henry over RJax, but it was close. H.E., did after all make first team all-BE in his only season at MU. Plus, he led the conference in rebounding at almost 10 rpg, which is pretty extraordinary. But he was only at MU for one year, and his defense left a great deal to be desired despite his shot-blocking ability. RJax, of course, also played for only one year at MU, but he was key in that team's Final Four run. Lazar had a better career at the 4 than either Henry or RJax, but I was able to slide him in at the 3.)

Center - Luke Fisher (I thought about putting Luke ahead of Merrit. It was kind of a push for me - six of one, half dozen of the other. I guess the tie-breaker was Scott playing for four years while Luke played two and a half years.)

Others who received at least some consideration:

Vander Blue, Brian Wardle, Robert Jackson, Dwight Buycks, Junior Cadougan, Jamil Wilson, Matt Carlino

It will be interesting to see what these teams might look like after the 2019-2020 season.

I'm sure others will take issue with some of my "selections," but that's what these boards are for, right? And, it is, after all, a slow season.
    Last edited by Phantom Warrior; 07-22-2017 at 10:53 AM.

1st: Diener, Wade, Butler, Crowder, Jackson (How can you not have him on your top three teams?)
    2nd: James, McNeal, Matthews, Novak, Gardner
    3rd: Henry, DJO, Hayward, Ellenson, Merritt

Sam Hauser and Markus Howard could replace Henry and Henry after this year.

Hard to leave 41 and 16; Missouri OT; and, ND game winner et al off 1st team. Still mentally debating him vs Crowder.
    "He understands Justice under God"--Augustus Cornelius Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by Gato78 View Post
    Hard to leave 41 and 16; Missouri OT; and, ND game winner et al off 1st team. Still mentally debating him vs Crowder.
    BE player of the year. But it is an interesting argument to make.

Sultans team is pretty close to mine.

Not sure about Merritt or Luke.....

First Team: Diener, Wade, Novak, Crowder, Zar (embracing positionless basketball)
    Second Team: James, McNeal, Matthews, Butler, Jackson
    Third Team: Howard (early days, but just love that shooting too much), DJ-O, Wardle, Ellenson, Gardner

Hauser should be on one of these pretty soon. Cordell is unlucky to be at our most stacked position. Also, I came super close to throwing Reinhardt on that third team (instead of Wardle). Only one year, but he was really good once he got healthy and comfortable playing with everyone.
    #BringShakaHome

First Team

PG - Travis Diener: James was better defensively but Diener was by far the best offensive PG of the advanced stats era. But it's more about what Marquette did after injuries that swayed my decision*.
    SG - Dwyane Wade: The best player of the century, and the best I've ever seen at Marquette. Easy choice.
    SF - Jimmy Butler: Tough call to edge out Wes Matthews, but Jimmy's lock-down defensive ability as a senior is the separator.
    PF - Jae Crowder: Second best player after Wade. Undersized, but an absolute beast and pure winner who did it all, sometimes by sheer force of will.
    C - Robert Jackson: In one year, he separated himself from the pack. Stout defending the post, and a terror offensively. We likely don't beat Kentucky without Jackson.

Second Team

PG - Dominic James: Great two-way player, but his shooting woes hurt his case.
    SG - Jerel McNeal: Overrated defender because of his anticipation for steals, but still a great player. Can't ignore the all-time scoring king.
    SF - Wesley Matthews: Such a complete player, culminating in his senior year when he was an absolute stud.
    PF - Lazar Hayward: Edges out Novak because of his rebounding and defense. Steve was a better shooter, Lazar was a better everything else.
    C - Luke Fischer: Great shot blocker, shot maker & offensive rebounder. His worst eFG% was better than Gardner's best. Not a great defender, but also not the worst.

Third Team

PG - Maurice Acker: Tough call with Howard, but Mo was a better distributor & ball protector. As good as Lazar was, Mo was the one that made the Midgets team go.
    SG - Darius Johnson-Odom: DJO's consistency carries him over Blue's great year. Better defender than he was credited & one of those guys you want taking the big shot.
    SF - Steve Novak: He had the size of a PF, but his tendencies to launch threes (72.2% of his FGAs were from three) made him more of a wing than inside player.
    PF - Henry Ellenson: He put up beastly numbers on a team that often felt like Henry & four other guys. I can't imagine what his rebounding numbers would've looked like after four years.
    C - Davante Gardner: I could see an argument for Scott Merritt, especially defensively, but Gardner was simply magical on offense. He was spellbinding to watch, with more scoring tricks than any 300-lb man should have.

*The toughest call for me was Diener over James, but it came down to their injury seasons. Diener had two injured stints in 2005. Marquette went 1-7 during that time, including 4 losses to non-NCAA teams (they only lost 5 games to non-tourney teams all year). Without Diener, that team was dead in the water. Meanwhile, in 2009, when James went down, Acker was a clear step down, but Marquette was more competitive. Despite going 2-6, all 6 losses were to top-16 teams per Pomeroy. Without Diener, Marquette completely fell apart, and without James, they went from being a top-10 team to a still-very-good team.

Honorable Mentions: Brian Wardle, Cordell Henry, Vander Blue, Matt Carlino, Jajuan Johnson, Katin Reinhardt, Sam Hauser, Markus Howard
    Last edited by Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"; 07-23-2017 at 03:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77" View Post
    First Team

PG - Travis Diener: James was better defensively but Diener was by far the best offensive PG of the advanced stats era. But it's more about what Marquette did after injuries that swayed my decision*.
    SG - Dwyane Wade: The best player of the century, and the best I've ever seen at Marquette. Easy choice.
    SF - Jimmy Butler: Tough call to edge out Wes Matthews, but Jimmy's lock-down defensive ability as a senior is the separator.
    PF - Jae Crowder: Second best player after Wade. Undersized, but an absolute beast and pure winner who did it all, sometimes by sheer force of will.
    C - Robert Jackson: In one year, he separated himself from the pack. Stout defending the post, and a terror offensively. We likely don't beat Kentucky without Jackson.

Second Team

PG - Dominic James: Great two-way player, but his shooting woes hurt his case.
    SG - Jerel McNeal: Overrated defender because of his anticipation for steals, but still a great player. Can't ignore the all-time scoring king.
    SF - Wesley Matthews: Such a complete player, culminating in his senior year when he was an absolute stud.
    PF - Lazar Hayward: Edges out Novak because of his rebounding and defense. Steve was a better shooter, Lazar was a better everything else.
    C - Luke Fischer: Great shot blocker, shot maker & offensive rebounder. His worst eFG% was better than Gardner's best. Not a great defender, but also not the worst.

Third Team

PG - Maurice Acker: Tough call with Howard, but Mo was a better distributor & ball protector. As good as Lazar was, Mo was the one that made the Midgets team go.
    SG - Darius Johnson-Odom: DJO's consistency carries him over Blue's great year. Better defender than he was credited & one of those guys you want taking the big shot.
    SF - Steve Novak: He had the size of a PF, but his tendencies to launch threes (72.2% of his FGAs were from three) made him more of a cwing than inside player.
    PF - Henry Ellenson: He put up beastly numbers on a team that often felt like Henry & four other guys. I can't imagine what his rebounding numbers would've looked like after four years.
    C - Davante Gardner: I could see an argument for Scott Merritt, especially defensively, but Gardner was simply magical on offense. He was spellbinding to watch, with more scoring tricks than any 300-lb man should have.

*The toughest call for me was Diener over James, but it came down to their injury seasons. Diener had two injured stints in 2005. Marquette went 1-7 during that time, including 4 losses to non-NCAA teams (they only lost 5 games to non-tourney teams all year). Without Diener, that team was dead in the water. Meanwhile, in 2009, when James went down, Acker was a clear step down, but Marquette was more competitive. Despite going 2-6, all 6 losses were to top-16 teams per Pomeroy. Without Diener, Marquette completely fell apart, and without James, they went from being a top-10 team to a still-very-good team.

Honorable Mentions: Brian Wardle, Cordell Henry, Vander Blue, Matt Carlino, Jajuan Johnson, Katin Reinhardt, Sam Hauser, Markus Howard
    I would add Junior Cadougan to the honorable mentions. Certainly had his flaws, but he was the heart and soul of Buzz's team during his years at MU. Can remember the awards dinner after his injury marred frosh season when Lazar gave his award to Junior. It was memorable. Junior was just a winner.
    Last edited by Nukem2; 07-23-2017 at 03:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nukem2 View Post
    I would add Junior Cadougan to the honorable mentions. Certainly had his flaws, but he was the heart and soul of Buzz's team during his years at MU. Can remember the awards dinner after his injury marred frosh season when Lazar gave his award to Junior. It was memorable. Junior was just a winner.
    7-3 NCAA tourney record with Junior at the helm. Only wish he red shirted his freshman year after the injury.

Quote Originally Posted by Nukem2 View Post
    Junior played on winning teams, which isn't the same thing. He was a below average, slow footed defender and poor shooter. At best the sixth best point guard this century, and that may be generous.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast