Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jimmy Butler

Quote Originally Posted by IrwinFletcher View Post
    It does favor Minnesota, but in the long run, it helps the Bulls. If Chicago kept Butler and the 16th pick, they would win 40-45 games again and pick again around 15-18. Draft a role player and win 40-45 games again. Then have to pay Butler a max salary when he is on the downside of his career and have little to nothing to show for his tenure here.

Bulls get some young talent, will suck next season and have a Top 5 pick to draft someone to build around and begin the rebuild process.

The problem is that while the talent is young, it isn't particularly good.

This was a bad trade. Not that moving Butler is a bad idea, but you have to get more from him than two completely unproven players and swapping a couple of draft picks.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSultan View Post
    The problem is that while the talent is young, it isn't particularly good.

This was a bad trade. Not that moving Butler is a bad idea, but you have to get more from him than two completely unproven players and swapping a couple of draft picks.
    I think that your thoughts are the consensus around the league. But there wasn't anything else out there. Reports here were than Boston wasn't going to give up the #3 pick and anything else next year so there wasn't a fit. Phoenix apparently balked on trade talks when it appeared they were going to get Jackson at #4.

So the Bulls got two young players that could be busts or that could develop (who knows at this point) plus a 7 footer who can shoot. Lavine is a good shooter as well so Bulls get two guys who can shoot for a team that shot 28% from 3 last season. They also get a lot more athletic. They also get bad and that ensures at Top 7 pick at least next year. The rebuild is on...

Jimmy is in a much better situation. Minnesota was able to trade Ricky Rubio for a 2018 first-round pick. Then upgrade the PG position by signing Jeff Teague in free agency. They are a finalist to sign Paul Millsap. A potential lineup of 1-Teague, 2-Butler, 3-Wiggins, 4-Millsap and 5-Anthony-Towns would certainly look like a top 4 seed in a tough western conference.

https://www.sbnation.com/2017/7/1/15...er-jeff-teague

Just an update on this. Millsap signed with Denver, but Minnesota signed Taj Gibson, which was a sneaky good signing. Taj really excelled under Thibs.

I've been surprised to see Minnesota fans down on the Rubio for Teague trade off. Many feel that is a downgrade. I'm not sure I agree.

1 Teague, 2 Butler, 3 Wiggins, 4 Gibson, 5 Towns sure looks like a top 4 seed in the West, as you say. But you also have to watch carefully what OKC is doing. Westbrook and George is an explosive combo. They're trying to make moves to sign Rudy Gay also and make him a stretch 4. Then you've got the Rockets getting Chris Paul and PJ Tucker to pair with Harden and others, and supposedly they are looking at trading for Carmelo Anthony.

If I'm Gordon Hayward, Boston or Miami have to look like pretty attractive options. Aside from LeBron and Giannis, who are the slam dunk starting All-Stars in the near future in the Eastern Conference? He'd basically be battling Demar Derozan for starting 2G in the All-Star game.

Teague is definitely an upgrade over Rubio. Rubio is the flashy assist guy, but he can't really shoot. And you are right that Gibson is a good signing. They are setting themselves up for a nice little run. If Wiggins gets a little more efficient they could make things interesting. Not at the GSW level obviously but who knows?

Teague is definitely an upgrade over Rubio. Rubio is the flashy assist guy, but he can't really shoot. And you are right that Gibson is a good signing. They are setting themselves up for a nice little run. If Wiggins gets a little more efficient they could make things interesting. Not at the GSW level obviously but who knows?
    I don't know about that. Rubio is a better defender than Teague. Teague is a better offensive player. Rubio the better passer. Ultimately, I think it's probably a net positive but I don't think it is a slam dunk.

It's definitely an exciting lineup. Adding Butler and Gibson immediately gives this team legit gravitas in a tough West.

Agree that Gibson is a nice, underrated signing for Minnesota. Millsap signing with Denver means another Eastern Conference team got weaker. Paul George, Jimmy Butler and now Paul Millsap going from the East to West. Bucks could be a top 4 seed in the East at this rate.

Yes. The days of "he is a great PG that sees the floor, but can't shoot" are over. 5 positions, maximize each.....triple-threat (shoot, dribble, pass). Supplemented by rebounding and defense.
    Last edited by mufan2003; 07-04-2017 at 12:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MU Viking View Post
    Just an update on this. Millsap signed with Denver, but Minnesota signed Taj Gibson, which was a sneaky good signing. Taj really excelled under Thibs.

I've been surprised to see Minnesota fans down on the Rubio for Teague trade off. Many feel that is a downgrade. I'm not sure I agree.

1 Teague, 2 Butler, 3 Wiggins, 4 Gibson, 5 Towns sure looks like a top 4 seed in the West, as you say. But you also have to watch carefully what OKC is doing. Westbrook and George is an explosive combo. They're trying to make moves to sign Rudy Gay also and make him a stretch 4. Then you've got the Rockets getting Chris Paul and PJ Tucker to pair with Harden and others, and supposedly they are looking at trading for Carmelo Anthony.

If I'm Gordon Hayward, Boston or Miami have to look like pretty attractive options. Aside from LeBron and Giannis, who are the slam dunk starting All-Stars in the near future in the Eastern Conference? He'd basically be battling Demar Derozan for starting 2G in the All-Star game.
    Gordon Hayward to Boston. Nice addition for the Celtics.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/go...ee-agency-nba/

Quote Originally Posted by MUFAN2003 View Post
    Gordon Hayward to Boston. Nice addition for the Celtics.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/go...ee-agency-nba/
    Accompanied by the obligatory Hayward's jersey burning in Utah. Hearing rumblings that the Celts may now move Jae. If so, hope he goes to a high profile team.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast