Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S.I. Deonte Burton Article

S.I. Deonte Burton Article

https://www.si.com/nba/2017/06/17/nb...burton-journey

"Deonte Burton harbors an eclectic personality and an equally versatile game perfect for the modern NBA."

"Then on the morning of Oct. 6, 2014, just weeks before his sophomore campaign with the Golden Eagles, Burton awoke to a phone call. It was his sister Nicole. The family had braced for Malone’s death. She had even planned her own funeral, but the news shook Burton to his core. “It was surreal. I just… couldn’t believe it,” he said. Basketball no longer brought him joy. The game, the city of Milwaukee itself, everything he had ever known reminded him of the woman he had lost. Simply driving down a road prompted memories of a time they had rolled down that very block. “I couldn’t really heal with the constant reminder,” Burton said."
    Last edited by CaribouJim; 06-18-2017 at 01:55 PM.

I guess I don't see Deonte making the NBA. He does have a very diversified offensive game, but at 6'4" I don't know what position he would play. Naybe he'll prove me wrong. For his sake, I hope he does. But if neither Vander nor DJ-O could get mopre than a couple of cups of coffee in the NBA, I just don't see Deonte making it.

Then again, the size of NBA rosters has increased, so who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Warrior View Post
    I guess I don't see Deonte making the NBA. He does have a very diversified offensive game, but at 6'4" I don't know what position he would play. Naybe he'll prove me wrong. For his sake, I hope he does. But if neither Vander nor DJ-O could get mopre than a couple of cups of coffee in the NBA, I just don't see Deonte making it.

Then again, the size of NBA rosters has increased, so who knows?
    I tend to agree with you Phantom but in reality, Jae Crowder is only 6'4" and he is thriving in the league as a tweener. Can't underestimate Deonte if he is willing to put in the work. All he needs is a chance.

Crowder developed a decent outside shot and can defend. Deonte could do the former, but he has always struggled at the defensive end. His athleticism makes him worth a shot though.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSultan View Post
    Crowder developed a decent outside shot and can defend. Deonte could do the former, but he has always struggled at the defensive end. His athleticism makes him worth a shot though.
    Deonte also needs the ball a lot to be effective. Athleticism is quite good though his conditioning always looks suspect. Good luck to Deonte in his endeavors.

There are a few dunks that I remember very vividly from players over the years, this one from Deonte is one of my favorites....along with the DJ vs Notre Dame where he came out of nowhere.

I don't see Deonte fitting into the modern NBA. He's a high volume, low efficiency scorer. Athletic for his size, but I don't think he could defend anyone at the next level. He just isn't a good enough basketball player. Being an athletic freak is great if you're 6'10", but not at his size. And Deonte doesn't have 1/100th the basketball IQ that Jae has.

Most amazing dunk I remember from Deonte was one that he missed.

I was right under the hoop. He came in for one of his monster jams and it went off of the back of the rim and went straight up...way up. As it travelled higher, the heads on press row were tilted all the way back and you could hear the entire Bradley Center crowd go, "whooooaaaa!" Thought the damn thing was going to burn up on re-entry.

Yes, it was a missed dunk, but that ball travelled far higher than any ball thrown by an idiot after winning a title.
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

Didn't he have a workout with someone yesterday or today? Bucks maybe?

I remember that missed dunk, it was an exhibition game. Maybe Wisconsin Lutheran?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast