Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OT - Going gray: Sports TV viewers skew older...

OT - Going gray: Sports TV viewers skew older...

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/J...ip-trends.aspx

Some interesting stuff from the Sports Business Journal - just as an FYI before you start to read it - digital viewing was not part of the study, so not a huge, huge surprise for the trend but kind of unsettling nonetheless I would think on the somewhat rapid decline for some sports. In any event, it gives me another cherished opportunity to blame something on those damn millennials!

Interesting that the median age for watching college basketball is ten years older than the NBA (52 v. 42).

The only sports with a median age under the age of 45 are various soccer leagues and the NBA.

My kids don't watch any sports. They don't mind going to games, but that's about it. Except for watching a few of the NBA stars (Lebron, etc), they have very little interest. These are kids that are good athletes and participate in a number of sports. They just have no interest in watching games on tv. That said, most of their friends are the same.

Quote Originally Posted by MU88 View Post
    My kids don't watch any sports. They don't mind going to games, but that's about it. Except for watching a few of the NBA stars (Lebron, etc), they have very little interest. These are kids that are good athletes and participate in a number of sports. They just have no interest in watching games on tv. That said, most of their friends are the same.
    Funny you mentioned that. A buddy I grew up with back home in NY was here for a 3-day weekend and when he was leaving I told him to bring his high school son next time and I'll try to round up some Cub or Sox tickets and he replied "Nope - he doesn't like to watch sports" and I said "even a Cubs game in person?" and same thing - "nope, he plays sports, but has little or no interest in watching".

At that age, I could't get enough watching and playing.

My kids watch sports, and enjoy going to games, but they also grew up going to MU and Brewer games too.
    Now that doesn't mean they will ever pay for cable tv when they move on, but they do enjoy watching and going to games, and tailgating too.

The biggest difference is when I watch, I watch. When they watch, it is mostly background noise, as they are mostly on their phones, laptop or computer.

Quote Originally Posted by CaribouJim View Post
    Funny you mentioned that. A buddy I grew up with back home in NY was here for a 3-day weekend and when he was leaving I told him to bring his high school son next time and I'll try to round up some Cub or Sox tickets and he replied "Nope - he doesn't like to watch sports" and I said "even a Cubs game in person?" and same thing - "nope, he plays sports, but has little or no interest in watching".

At that age, I could't get enough watching and playing.
    Well, who wants to see the Sox or Cubs anyways.
    March Madness starts in November

Quote Originally Posted by MU/Panther View Post
    Well, who wants to see the Sox or Cubs anyways.
    Ouch!!

I fall into the gray area of the millennial age range, depending on what you classify as the start of the millennial era, and I loved and still love watching and attending sports. With that said, we now live in a time where Millennials are not the only era to contend with, there is a new era of kids coming into their own, all them the centennial's as some refer to them (kids born after 2004), and they are different than even millennials.
    The artist formerly known as "the sitting MU coach for president"

I'm of the Generation X era and I used to watch as much sports on TV as humanely possible. However, now that I'm married with kids, my TV sports viewing has been curtailed dramatically. I basically now watch Marquette games, Packer games when they're on TV in the DC area, Washington Capitals playoff hockey (which never goes past the 2nd round), parts of major golf tournaments, World Cup soccer and the rare NBA or MLB game. My kids really aren't interested in team sports and refuse to watch any on TV. I think kids today have many more options in terms of what sports or other extracurricular activities they want to do. To most kids, the idea of sitting around on Sundays and watching 9 hours of football and 3 hours of baseball or basketball every night is just so foreign to them.

Spend all day on their phones watching videos and playing games? Short attention span theatre.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast