Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: NBA Finals Predictions

I know this will shock some of you, but Lebron is no longer a good defensive player. He also has a lot of turnovers. Cleveland in fact was in the bottom third in the NBA in defense this year, and were one of the worst in transition defense. He is still a great offensive player, but he is no longer a complete player, and that is why I say Durant is better. It wouldn't matter if he was playing in OKC, GS, or Orlando. He is just a better all around player in 2017 than Lebron, I actually think I would rather have Durant and Kawhi over Lebron.

Quote Originally Posted by mufansince72 View Post
    I know this will shock some of you, but Lebron is no longer a good defensive player. He also has a lot of turnovers. Cleveland in fact was in the bottom third in the NBA in defense this year, and were one of the worst in transition defense. He is still a great offensive player, but he is no longer a complete player, and that is why I say Durant is better. It wouldn't matter if he was playing in OKC, GS, or Orlando. He is just a better all around player in 2017 than Lebron, I actually think I would rather have Durant and Kawhi over Lebron.
    Agreed, I'd go with Durant over LBJ. OKC was one game away from last year's Finals, a missed crotch kick. Perfect piece defensively as well as the goalie. He's altered so many shots down there as well. Klay on the perimeter, and Durant at the cup. So much for parity in the NBA for at least the next 2-3 years......Adam Silver might as well just print Golden State on the next few Larry O'Briens.

Can Durant take a team to the finals without any other stars on the team? Can he be a one man show?
    Before saying Durant is better than LeBron, I'd like to see how he does if Curry and Thompson were out for multiple games.

Quote Originally Posted by Goose85 View Post
    Can Durant take a team to the finals without any other stars on the team? Can he be a one man show?
    Before saying Durant is better than LeBron, I'd like to see how he does if Curry and Thompson were out for multiple games.
    Can Lebron? The day and age of one player leading a team to the finals seem to be over. Who was the last team to even go to the NBA finals without at least two superstars on the roster? The answer is probably Lebron in 2007. However that has nothing to do with the fact many people believe in 2017 Durant is a better player than 2017 James.

Can Lebron? The day and age of one player leading a team to the finals seem to be over. Who was the last team to even go to the NBA finals without at least two superstars on the roster? The answer is probably Lebron in 2007. However that has nothing to do with the fact many people believe in 2017 Durant is a better player than 2017 James.
    That may be true, but I'm not sure Durant has ever been by far the focal point of any team he has been on to date. Westbrook and Harden - the Westbrook at OKC. GS has been in the finals the past two years without him, so it's not like he somehow elevated GS, they were up 2-0 last year too, so hard to say that he has all of a sudden elevated to the best player on the planet. Is he stopping James defensively? James in the two games has averaged 28.5 points, 13 rebounds and 11 assists. From a stats standpoint doesn't seem like anyone is stopping James on D. Is Durant considered a better defender than James?

If you were starting a team and had to choose between the two players and your investment depended on success next season, would Durant be the pick over James? It might be, I don't know, but if I had to win next year I'd take James.

Quote Originally Posted by Goose85 View Post
    That may be true, but I'm not sure Durant has ever been by far the focal point of any team he has been on to date. Westbrook and Harden - the Westbrook at OKC. GS has been in the finals the past two years without him, so it's not like he somehow elevated GS, they were up 2-0 last year too, so hard to say that he has all of a sudden elevated to the best player on the planet. Is he stopping James defensively? James in the two games has averaged 28.5 points, 13 rebounds and 11 assists. From a stats standpoint doesn't seem like anyone is stopping James on D. Is Durant considered a better defender than James?

If you were starting a team and had to choose between the two players and your investment depended on success next season, would Durant be the pick over James? It might be, I don't know, but if I had to win next year I'd take James.
    To answer your question, I would say that Durant is the more efficient player. Better shooter, lower turnovers and a better defensive player. If I had to win next year, and my choices were only Durant and Lebron, and I had to pick TODAY. I would probably choose Durant as I know who the key pieces will be on Golden State next year. I have this feeling that if Cleveland gets destroyed in this series that there will be an extreme makeover to that team. I could see them doing something stupid like trading for Carmelo Anthony, which in my opinion would make them worse.

Let me ask you a question. If Lebron played in the West instead of the East, how many finals would he have went to, and would we still think of him the same as we do now? I think a reasonable assumption would be that he would have only three finals appearances rather than 7 straight.

Durant has been, without a doubt, the Finals MVP through 2 games. However, I still think LeBron is the best player in the NBA (and I am cheering for Golden State). LeBron, Durant and Curry have been great through the first 2 games. Irving needs to step up his game. A good article on this point:

http://www.nba.com/article/2017/06/0...rving-warriors

So far, the NBA Finals have the highest ratings since 1998 (Jordan's last title).

http://www.nba.com/article/2017/06/0...ed-jordan-1998

To answer your question, I would say that Durant is the more efficient player. Better shooter, lower turnovers and a better defensive player. If I had to win next year, and my choices were only Durant and Lebron, and I had to pick TODAY. I would probably choose Durant as I know who the key pieces will be on Golden State next year. I have this feeling that if Cleveland gets destroyed in this series that there will be an extreme makeover to that team. I could see them doing something stupid like trading for Carmelo Anthony, which in my opinion would make them worse.

Let me ask you a question. If Lebron played in the West instead of the East, how many finals would he have went to, and would we still think of him the same as we do now? I think a reasonable assumption would be that he would have only three finals appearances rather than 7 straight.
    I meant if you were another team, not GS or Clev, and could only have one star player and needed to win, would it be Durant? Can he carry a team on his own as the star? He might be able to do so, I don't know. I will watch game 3 to see if he can stop James before I would say he is the top defender.

West has been better from a depth standpoint, no doubt. But I think the Heat and the Cavs would have been fine. Not sure about 7 straight, but still a top team.
    I think East or West, James would still be considered one of the best players ever and a top candidate for player of the year almost every year.

I think for Cleveland to win a game or two in this series they have to change their style of play. Game 2 they tried to play fast against GS. In my opinion that is a mistake. I think they need to slow the game down and make it look like a Utah Jazz game. Hold the ball until about 5 seconds left in the shot clock. Then give it to Lebron do drive to the hole. That way Lebron can rest for 19 seconds on offense rather than on the defensive end of the floor. Slowing the transition game down by holding the ball will also leave Lebron fresher in the third and fourth quarter. In summary, to have any chance, they have to play slow and physical in my opinion. They can't beat them by trying to run with them.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast