Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Transfers Nationally?

Nuke mentioned the attention span - I liked Tony Curro's Tweet during the high school season. It was something like, "How can a kid not stay eligible to play for his team, yet be smart enough to have a PHD in social media?"

BrewCity77 - Some of the guys on your list "may have been" either academic casualties or asked to leave for other reasons, so it is always a crap shoot as far as why someone "transferred".

A while back I was breaking it down for a story but stopped as I didn't want to rub anyone the wrong way. Here it is, coach by coach for the last three coaches...

Tom Crean - 12 departures over 9 years, 1.33 per year.
    Ryan Amoroso, Krunti Hester, Ron Howard, Kevin Menard, Dameon Mason, Niv Berkowitz, Brandon Bell, Karon Bradley, Carlton Christian, James Matthews, Odartay Blankson, Matt Mortenson

Buzz Williams - 13 departures over 6 years, 2.16 per year.
    Jamal Ferguson, Brett Roseboro, Jamail Jones, Reggie Smith, Erik Williams, Jeronne Maymon, Youssapha Mbao, Patrick Hazel, Trevor Mbakwe, Scott Christopherson, Dave Singleton, Jameel McKay, TJ Taylor

Steve Wojciechowski - 9 departures over 3 years, 3.0 per year
    Wally Ellenson, Traci Carter, Deonte Burton, Sandy Cohen, John Dawson, Duane Wilson, Todd Mayo, Steve Taylor, Game Levin

The above is a perfect example of the trend in college hoops. When you look at today's numbers vs the number of D1 teams, it comes out to about 3 per team per year which is insane. That means for every team that doesn't have one, there is a team out there with six!
    Last edited by IWB; 06-05-2017 at 10:38 AM.
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

IWB,

Let's look at your lists chronologically by class. Start with Crean.

Hester. Was not even close to a high-major player - total mistake by Deane - and both Hester and Crean knew it.

ODB. Foolish decision by ODB. Crean did not want him to leave and was blindsided when he did. ODB got bad advice. Huge loss. MU would have made the Dance in '04 had he stayed.

Howard. Would have probably never been a starter at MU but had a decent career at Valpo. Probably smart decision on his part if he wanted minutes.

Menard. Transferred to either D-3 or NAIA, not sure which. Crean's first big recruiting mistake. Good move by Menard. Crean certainly did not fight it, probably encouraged it.

Bradley. Would have been a contributor but probably never a starter at MU. Like Howard, made good decision if he wanted more playing time. No idea how Crean felt about his leaving.

Berkowitz. Weird situation. Nothing like it really before or since. Would have loved to see him stick it out and see if he developed and adapted to college game but probably a good move for both him and MU.

Matthews. HUGE mistake by Crean, and there were all sorts of warning signs. No one cried when he left.

Christian. Another mistake by Crean - reached and got burned. Don't think he ever finished college after transferring.

Bell. Another weird situation. Pretty well thought of coming in, both as a player and as a person. Showed a few glimpses as a frosh but then hit the skids. Reportedly there were other issues as well. Almost certainly a good move for both him and MU to start fresh.

Mason. Unusual situation. Part-time starter as a frosh, regular starter as a soph, but then came the Amigos. Writing on the wall and DM decided to leave. But health issues derailed his career at LSU. Would have been nice had he stuck it out at MU, but he wasn't going to play ahead of Jerel and Wesley.

Amoroso. Good have been a solid contributor for four years, but apparently did not have the kind of attitude/work ethic Crean wanted and became a distraction. After he was banned by TC from traveling with the team, the writing was on the proverbial wall. Good move for MU that he took his reported baggage to San Diego.

Maybe more (Buzz and Wojo) later if I have some time.

Forgot about Mortenson. Edited above.

T.J. Taylor was a legit transfer in that he was on campus and enrolled. But I think he left after a week. I believe he had to sit for a year after he transferred to North Texas.

I don't know that he was here a full week, but I thought they didn't/couldn't get him into school, so how would he have been enrolled?

Either way, I will add him to list.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSultan View Post
    T.J. Taylor was a legit transfer in that he was on campus and enrolled. But I think he left after a week. I believe he had to sit for a year after he transferred to North Texas.
    Brett Roseboro was here for a whole summer session but did not enroll as a full time student in the fall. As suych, he was able to get a release and played immediately at St. Bonaventure. TJ had apparently some kind of academic/transcript issue with his juco transfer.

I remember being at one of the kids camps. The players all coach their teams. Roseboro stood there like a statue. Other players that were walking by this particular game kept trying to help him, saying, "Come on man - you got to get your guys excited - help them have fun!" And the guys would yell to his team to encourage the kids... but no matter how many times it happened, he still just stood there like a statue.

Quote Originally Posted by Nukem2 View Post
    Brett Roseboro was here for a whole summer session but did not enroll as a full time student in the fall. As suych, he was able to get a release and played immediately at St. Bonaventure. TJ had apparently some kind of academic/transcript issue with his juco transfer.

Yeah that's right. It all seems like a dream.

What about that big guy with the heart issue, McMorrow. Does he count as a transfer? Not sure as he wasn't cleared medically.

Quote Originally Posted by Goose85 View Post
    What about that big guy with the heart issue, McMorrow. Does he count as a transfer? Not sure as he wasn't cleared medically.
    He wasn't cleared medically but ended up playing again - East Tennessee?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast