Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bring Back the MU B-Ball Media Guides!!

Bring Back the MU B-Ball Media Guides!!

http://www.marquettebasketball.com/media-guides

Don't know why they discontinued them in the first place. I have almost all of them since my freshman year in '76 -'77 before they discontinued them.

In any event, my favorite cover was for the '77-'78 season, although it was personally my most disappointing season - at least the end.

The last couple years, they were photo books, not media guides.
    March Madness starts in November

I think the whole thing started with schools with big football programs. They were printing up thousands as they would give them to recruits (which in football is many), boosters, ticket holders etc. They did it for a long time for both football and basketball.

Well then the other sports were demanding them and with Title IX they had to comply. So now add in all of the sports at a football school, their recruits, boosters, ticket holders etc, and all of a sudden this large expense became a massive expense. I can't remember who the first one was, I believe it was either Michigan, Iowa or Ohio State that said enough, we are going online from here on out. And they did, and slowly but surely, many others followed.

Marquette went the same route a few years back and all of their stuff is now found online, but nothing beats having that hard covered media guide in your hands. I used those to reference things all the time, now you have to go online, search and search to find what you are looking for where in the past you could just grab the book, flip to records and boom, there is you answer.

Imagine that, a paper version quicker than online!
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

Yes, the digital world is not always easier.

Case in point, the dying newspaper. When I subscribed to the paper I may not have read every article, but I looked at every page. If I saw something of interest - I would read it. Now you look at the top headlines and move on.

Sports - I used to check the box scores of former MU players every day. It took all of about 20 seconds. Now? Click on NBA, click on scores, click on game, click on box score and repeat process for each player.

Fake news dominates in todays world because you see it more than you see real news.

A certain sports anchor here in town told me he used to scour the high school box scores looking for a story. He found one not all that long ago where all the girls who scored for one team had the same last name. He thought it was a misprint. He looked into it and found that the basketball coach had the same name. He dug deeper and found his story. These girls were all orphaned at a very young age and this coach and his wife adopted all five of them. Online or even with today's paper he never would have found that story and it still ranks as one of his all time favorites.
    Last edited by IWB; 05-24-2017 at 02:27 PM.
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ganzer, "IWB" View Post
    Case in point, the dying newspaper. When I subscribed to the paper I may not have read every article, but I looked at every page. If I saw something of interest - I would read it. Now you look at the top headlines and move on.

Sports - I used to check the box scores of former MU players every day. It took all of about 20 seconds. Now? Click on NBA, click on scores, click on game, click on box score and repeat process for each player.

Fake news dominates in todays world because you see it more than you see real news.

A certain sports anchor here in town told me he used to scour the high school box scores looking for a story. He found one not all that long ago where all the girls who scored for one team had the same last name. He thought it was a misprint. He looked into it and found that the basketball coach had the same name. He dug deeper and found his story. These girls were all orphaned at a very young age and this coach and his wife adopted all five of them. Online or even with today's paper he never would have found that story and it still ranks as one of his all time favorites.
    That's why I've kept the print edition. But that edition of the JS has shrunk significantly since the Gannett purchase. Time to jettison soon as event local news is minimal. Conversely, the on-line version of the JS is difficult as it is in Gannett's USA Today format.

The Media Guide used to be part of my Christmas morning. My wife would buy it for me for Christmas and after the kids had opened their gifts and started playing with them, I would have my coffee and leaf through the Guide. Do miss it.

I miss media guides. Mark Miller's Yearbook is the next best thing.

Exclusive video of Caribou Jim complaining to Marquette about getting rid of paper copies of the media guide

90% of quotes on the internet are wrong.
    - Abraham Lincoln

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast