Thread: Interesting Article

Interesting Article

I realize this is about football, not basketball. I also realize that some posters on this site may get pissed off that the article is about UW. But I found the essence of the article really interesting in terms of recruiting strategies and strategies on how to build a program.

Much of what is in the article I already knew because I am a UW grad, a Badger fan (second after MU), and a football fan. But I think that the content of the article has valid points that translate to MU basketball.

espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/19092583/how-world-do-wisconsin-badgers-keep-winning-this

What Wisconsin football has had is continuity. Alvarez as coach and AD...Beilema...Chryst... Even though things with Anderson went south, Alvarez was still around to fix it. I mean they have only had two athletic directors over the course of 25+ years. The fundamental "ethos" of the program doesn't change.

You can say the same thing about Butler and Xavier. Even though their coaches have left, they have hired from within and kept the culture of the program.

That's why if/when Wojo leaves, I hope there is a qualified replacement in house. Yes I know we don't want to go back down the Al...Hank...Rick road, but sustaining a program from within is the key to long term success.