Thread: For the Old-Timers

For the Old-Timers

The additions of Jamal and Greg brings back memories of those Louisville teams of the late 70s, 80s, and early 90s that had all these 6'5" - 6'7" athletes at the 2, 3, and 4, to go along with some tough, athletic 6'9" - 6'11" center.

Jamal and Greg fit the mold of those Louisville wings, and I'm hoping that Theo can end up being like those Louisville 5s.

Personally, I think that both Jamal and Greg can and will contribute as freshmen, though how much depends on whether or not we also land a grad transfer (maybe Koulechov?). But what really has me excited is what they may bring to the MU table as juniors and seniors.

I also love the fact that reportedly Jamal, Greg, and Theo all love to play defense and have bought into how much effort it takes to play good D. Those Louisville teams were not just god-awful to try and defend; they also caused fits when they were on defense.

That's what I'm hoping MU in Years 5 and 6 of the Wojo Era will be like.

(P.S. - I dont want to forget about Ike. His athleticism and his ceiling may end up being as high as or even higher than that of Greg, Jamal, and Theo, but I am guessing it might take him a bit longer to get significant mpg. Still, all four of these guys remind me of those old Louisvlle teams, especially the ones coached by Crum but even some coached by Pitino.)

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Warrior View Post
    The additions of Jamal and Greg brings back memories of those Louisville teams of the late 70s, 80s, and early 90s that had all these 6'5" - 6'7" athletes at the 2, 3, and 4, to go along with some tough, athletic 6'9" - 6'11" center.
    Phantom - One of my first MU memories that I can still see as if it were yesterday... I was 8 years old in '74 and MU was playing Louisville at the Arena. I wanted to see them up close, so I walked down to courtside for when they came out for warmups. (You could do that back then, now any kid trying to get close gets shut down by the Nutty Professor.) Anyway, here comes Louisville...I remember thinking that every single guy on their team was the same height, same look, same buzz cut. There was no Lloyd Walton or Dave Delsman or Butch Lee (5'11-6'0)

1974-75 Louisville roster
    5'10 - None
    5'11 - None
    6'0 - None
    6'1 - None

6'2 - Philip Bond
    6'3 - Billy Harmon
    6'4 - Danny Brown
    6'5 - Wayne Crosby, Wesley Cox, Tony Kinnaird, Rick Wilson
    6'6 - None
    6'7 - Stanley Bunton, Curt Gilstrap
    6'8 - Charlie Mitchell, Dave Smith, Larry Williams
    6'9 - None
    6'10 - None

6'11 - Ricky Gallon
    7'0 - None
    9 of 13 guys between 6'5-6'8, nobody under 6'2

1974-75 Marquette roster
    5'10 - Barry Brennan
    5'11 - Dave Delsman
    6'0 - Lloyd Walton, Butch Lee, Gary Rosenberger
    6'1 - None
    6'2 - None
    6'3 - None

6'4 - Ace Vollmer
    6'5 - Rick Campbell, Bill Neary, Earl Tatum
    6'6 - None
    6'7 - Jerry Homan
    6'8 - None
    6'9 - Bo Ellis
    6'10 - None
    6'11 - None

7'0 - Craig Butrym

5 of 12 guys between 6'5-6'8, 5 guys 6'0 and under.
    Last edited by IWB; 04-04-2017 at 01:53 PM.
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

The Louisville-Marquette game in Doc's time here was amazing athletic display. We lost but was a heck of a game.
    "I'll say it again...Dwyane Wade is the 3rd best SG of all-time...right behind Jordan and Bryant." - Mark Jackson