Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Duane Wilson Leaving Marquette

I spoke with Dwayne Johnson twice at MSG. Super friendly guy. He ended up at Whitewater on a real good team with Robert Barnes from Racine. Eddie Dswang and I went down to Whitewater to watch them.
    "He understands Justice under God"--Augustus Cornelius Johnson

I may be wrong, but I am fairly certain that he left MU for academic reasons.

I remember watching him play in high school on the same team as Ronnie Williams after they both moved to St. John's from New York. After Dwayne's freshman year in high school, Majerus called him "the best high school player in America" or something to that effect. And he did end up a Street & Smith All-American. He had a solid career at MU but nothing spectacular.

I believe he entered MU in the same class as Mandy Johnson, another S & S All-American who, like Dwayne, never quite lived up to that level of hype.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Warrior View Post

I remember watching him play in high school on the same team as Ronnie Williams after they both moved to St. John's from New York. After Dwayne's freshman year in high school, Majerus called him "the best high school player in America" or something to that effect. And he did end up a Street & Smith All-American. He had a solid career at MU but nothing spectacular.

I believe he entered MU in the same class as Mandy Johnson, another S & S All-American who, like Dwayne, never quite lived up to that level of hype.
    He did leave for academic reasons and went to UW-Whitewater. Don't know if if he graduated there.

I remember the Milwaukee Journal had a long form article on the front page of the Sunday sports section on DJ. Can't remember if he had committed yet to MU - he was still at St. John's IIRC.

I liked Mandy's game. He reminded me a bit of Lloyd Walton in his ability to penetrate and dish. That team that played Dale Ellis lead Tennessee was fun to watch or am I mixing that up with the Missouri game?

Quote Originally Posted by CaribouJim View Post
    I remember the Milwaukee Journal had a long form article on the front page of the Sunday sports section on DJ. Can't remember if he had committed yet to MU - he was still at St. John's IIRC.

I liked Mandy's game. He reminded me a bit of Lloyd Walton in his ability to penetrate and dish. That team that played Dale Ellis lead Tennessee was fun to watch or am I mixing that up with the Missouri game?
    It was Dale Ellis. But Mandy was far different than Lloyd. Mandy was defense while Lloyd was offense.

Mandy could not score outside of 6-8 feet. He had no mid-range game whatsoever. Lloyd, on the other hand, had a solid mid-range game. He didn't shoot often because he didn't have to - not with the likes of Bo, Butch, and Earl on the court - but he could consistently hit that pull-up, 15-footer. That being said, I don't remember Lloyd ever shooting a three-pointer. He didn't have that kind of range. But he knew his limitations and played within his limits.

Mandy could not score outside of 6-8 feet. He had no mid-range game whatsoever. Lloyd, on the other hand, had a solid mid-range game. He didn't shoot often because he didn't have to - not with the likes of Bo, Butch, and Earl on the court - but he could consistently hit that pull-up, 15-footer. That being said, I don't remember Lloyd ever shooting a three-pointer. He didn't have that kind of range. But he knew his limitations and played within his limits.
    Yeah, that would have been tough for him as they did not have the three-pointer back then.

As an aside, I always thought Rosey would have been a more dangerous weapon if they had the three-pointer during his time at MU. Man, he could shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by MUMac View Post
    Yeah, that would have been tough for him as they did not have the three-pointer back then.

As an aside, I always thought Rosey would have been a more dangerous weapon if they had the three-pointer during his time at MU. Man, he could shoot.
    And, he really had range as well.

Clarification

MUMac,

I should have been clearer. I meant he did not shoot from three-point distance or three-point range. He could hit a 16-footer, but even 17 feet seemed outside his range. I am pretty certain he never took a shot from 20 feet.

Best of luck to Duane Wilson, and I hope he finds the right fit for next season.
    Glad he was able to get a taste of the NCAA tourney with MU!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast