Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Duane Wilson Leaving Marquette

March 20, 2017
    For Immediate Release
    Scott Kuykendall
    MU SID

Duane Wilson Leaving Men’s Basketball Program

Redshirt junior guard can graduate this May

Milwaukee – Redshirt junior guard Duane Wilson of the Marquette University men’s basketball program has decided to leave the team and will conclude his eligibility at another institution.

The Milwaukee, Wisconsin native is on track to graduate this May and would be immediately eligible to play in 2017-18. A three-year letterwinner with Marquette, Wilson redshirted in 2013-14 after suffering a preseason injury.

“We want to thank Duane for his contributions to the program and wish him the best of luck in the future,” head coach Steve Wojciechowski said. “We respect his decision to explore other opportunities and will be completely supportive throughout the process.”

Wilson appeared in 30 games for the Golden Eagles in 2016-17, earning seven starting assignments in 16.4 minutes per night. He averaged 4.8 points and 1.8 rebounds per game. For his career, he started 51 of his 95 games played.
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

I said this when Steve Taylor Jr. left and I will say it again: major life mistake. He would be far more successful in life, like many former MU players, if he stuck around and was the face of the program next year. He would be venerated in the MU community and would have a pretty successful post MU life. He may be successful anyway but he would have a great leg up on his fellow graduates if he had remained. I think all of us who did not play basketball can see what a leg up those guys have over us mere grads. Instead, he will be in a difficult ex-MU player world. There is only one guy I know of who transferred from MU and came back for games: Dwayne Johnson. I have run into him a few times over the years and he is a great guy--very friendly. Dwayne Johnson is the only one I can recall. Swaggy is a good kid--a really good kid. I am certain his dad wanted a bigger role for Swaggy but we all saw what was going on on the court. He isn't going to the NBA. He may not be good enough for Europe--at least decent European money. I am just sad because like so many, he has unrealistic expectations. He was a starting guard at Marquette and, apparently, that is not good enough. Good luck Swaggy.
    Last edited by Gato78; 03-20-2017 at 05:53 PM.
    "He understands Justice under God"--Augustus Cornelius Johnson

Got to disagree on this one Gato. He has been in the program four years, will get his degree in May, and helped play a nice role in getting Marquette back in the tournament. If he left after his junior year like Steve, then I would agree with your sentiment. However, he accomplished basically everything he could here and now is moving on to bigger role in the future.
    #BringShakaHome

Quote Originally Posted by warriorfan4life View Post
    Got to disagree on this one Gato. He has been in the program four years, will get his degree in May, and helped play a nice role in getting Marquette back in the tournament. If he left after his junior year like Steve, then I would agree with your sentiment. However, he accomplished basically everything he could here and now is moving on to bigger role in the future.
    I would agree with you. He will be a MU grad from Milwaukee. Can't take that away from him.

Quote Originally Posted by warriorfan4life View Post
    Agree with this. When you read his comments in the JS, it must have been a difficult position. I understand his reasons, wish him the best and have enjoyed having him as an ambassador for MU these past 4 years. I would expect he would remain a part of the MU community after his playing days are over.

Which former MU players who have transferred have you seen at an MU game or event? I am telling you, there is a level of awkward with that. I will be pleasantly surprised if I am wrong.
    "He understands Justice under God"--Augustus Cornelius Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by Gato78 View Post
    Which former MU players who have transferred have you seen at an MU game or event? I am telling you, there is a level of awkward with that. I will be pleasantly surprised if I am wrong.
    He is also the first transfer to have a degree from MU. And he is from Milwaukee.

Not sure you can use the actions of others transitively toward how DW will act in the future. He has always been respectful of MU and was so with this decision.

First time anyone has left as a grad transfer though, and leaving on as good of terms as possible. I hope that Duane is heartily welcome at whatever Marquette related event he wants to attend in the future.
    #BringShakaHome

Dwayne Johnson sat behind us in D.C. for the Georgetown game when MU came into town ranked 8th in the country with the 3 Amigos leading the charge - close game until the last 8 minutes or so before Green went off. G-Town is a great roadtrip.

In any event, we talked a lot with DJ and he couldn't have been nicer - kind of quiet and low key. I reminded him of the close loss to then #1 or #2 DePaul where Doc had 16 assists and DJ was on the receiving end of many of them - he seemed to enjoy that memory. Really liked his game. Can't remember the details on his departure.

I hate it when guys transfer from MU.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast